Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 05:31 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Like I said, I'm sure they'll be some excuses to justify the move but the truth is pretty clear, over and over again. I know it's true because I moved here for the same reason, only I didn't get here and try to create the place I ran away from.
I came to Houston after graduating from High School in 1976. Native Texan, family has been here since the 1820's on both sides. The morons who run the state now are ruining it. Dan Patrick is killing public education, Greg Abbott got his tort settlement, but doesn't think you deserve one, and all of them think it's far better to let business run roughshod over citizens, all in the name of economic development. That's ridiculous. We need some amount of regulation to prevent businesses from polluting and avoiding taxes, and we need all Texans to have the ability to get redress for torts. I've voted R most of my life, but will be voting for a lot more D's this time.

Quote:
I never once said that Texas doesn't have it's share of home grown left winger loons, it's pretty clear that we do. I'd love to see a centered and balanced government that is unbiased and working for ALL CITIZENS of this country instead of giving preference to people who are here illegally... in that regard I speak for the majority of Texans.
I don't see any preferences for people here illegally, and find it hard to fault someone who works that backside off to help their family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 07:55 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
What exactly are "hard left" policy positions? I guess that would include "open borders"? I'm not sure exactly what that means. Complete elimination of all border controls? Can someone please name a candidate who favors "open borders" and refer us to credible sources where the candidate acknowledges that position? Thanks!

Old 11-05-2018, 08:15 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
What exactly are "hard left" policy positions? I guess that would include "open borders"? I'm not sure exactly what that means. Complete elimination of all border controls? Can someone please name a candidate who favors "open borders" and refer us to credible sources where the candidate acknowledges that position? Thanks!
Sanctuary City policies are hard left policy positions if you ask me. Houston is a well known sanctuary city and a lot of ignorant Houstonians are proud of it.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:54 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Sanctuary City policies are hard left policy positions if you ask me. Houston is a well known sanctuary city and a lot of ignorant Houstonians are proud of it.
Key words: "If you ask me"...

Meaning that it's an OPINION, not a fact.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:29 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
I think several supporters see it as realpolitik; since businesses rely on illegals they're loathe to give up the cheap, pliant labor. By having sanctuary city policies, illegals can report violent criminals to the police and cooperate w the legal power structure. Take that away and illegals don't go to the police, meaning their knowledge of crimes is unreported.

If you want to go after illegal immigration, go after the businesses.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Key words: "If you ask me"...

Meaning that it's an OPINION, not a fact.
Well given the FACT that "hard left" is a subjective term, I'm not sure how anyone could claim that using it would be anything other than an opinion.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:04 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Trump University was no more or less a scam than the one you claim to teach at, there's no need for you to prove how classy you aren't by getting stupid in here.
Trump U? You mean the one that paid $25 million to settle the class-action lawsuits?

Old 11-06-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Trump U? You mean the one that paid $25 million to settle the class-action lawsuits?
You didn't even read that did you?

Old 11-06-2018, 08:32 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I think several supporters see it as realpolitik; since businesses rely on illegals they're loathe to give up the cheap, pliant labor. By having sanctuary city policies, illegals can report violent criminals to the police and cooperate w the legal power structure. Take that away and illegals don't go to the police, meaning their knowledge of crimes is unreported.

And this is what those on the right never want to admit...

Old 11-06-2018, 09:16 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post

Careful - you'll be accused of being a hard leftist for even daring to suggest actions against the almighty businesses some claim can do no wrong.

It would be quite funny to see conservatives trying to explain away the severe recession we would find ourselves in if we were somehow able to cut off all illegal immigration today, while still maintaining the same refugee and legal immigration intake levels we have today. I like our strong economy and want it to continue, but if I were more of a masochist I wouldn't mind seeing Trump get his wall and lowered legal immigration levels, just so that we could actually see how disastrous it would be and end all of this nativist foolishness we have going on today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston