Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 10:55 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Imagine spending decades building up TMC into a world class hospital cluster, attracting the best minds in the world, and spending two months undoing it all with this mentality.
Im sorry but this didnt do that. The TMC is still the respected entity it was. We had a flare up because of some poor decisions made. That doesnt undermind the credibility of the TMC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 12:06 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Im sorry but this didnt do that. The TMC is still the respected entity it was. We had a flare up because of some poor decisions made. That doesnt undermind the credibility of the TMC.
I agree with your statement above, but I will say, after spending time on a lot of other C-D boards where there are a lot of users (Current Events, Politics & Other Controversies), I have noticed the following:

1. Several weeks ago, when the TMC graphs were taken down for a few days and the data massaged (changes that I think ultimately improved the data), there was a flurry of activity in the media and on these forums (and others) wondering what the TMC had to "hide" by taking them down. Heck, even I wondered that at first. While I don't think the TMC was actively trying to hide things, I will say that the fact the graphs were taken down directly following a perceived complaint by Gov Abbott was a PR hiccup by the TMC.

2. Lots of people questioned why Houston hospitals hadn't prepared better and seemed to have absolutely no idea that most of the member institutions have task forces and committees that are constantly communicating and sharing data, surge planning, storing and sharing PPE etc, through the collective resource that represents, in part, the very reason the TMC exists. I pointed this out on a couple of posts, but I don't think it made an impact.

3. Many people around the country are completely unfamiliar with what the TMC is (i.e. they think it's a hospital) and even its member institutions. I would say the vast majority of people outside of Houston who don't work in healthcare could probably only identify MD Anderson and perhaps one or two others, as a major Houston medical facility. Those of us who live here, and people around the country who work in academic health care, are very familiar with the TMC, but most other people aren't.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:48 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter. It's still located in Texas, and Texas amounts to a third world leper colony as far as the rest of the developed world is concerned.

Why would anyone want to come there to work, if the people around there have this little regard for their work and their safety?

Old 07-28-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. It's still located in Texas, and Texas amounts to a third world leper colony as far as the rest of the developed world is concerned.

Why would anyone want to come there to work, if the people around there have this little regard for their work and their safety?
Frankly, thats stupid and ridiculous wishful thinking on your part.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Frankly, thats stupid and ridiculous wishful thinking on your part.
I said the same thing a month or two ago when people thought that the virus was over and Houston wasn't going to be affected.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:22 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:

Ok Chicago booster, fix that homicide pandemic that’s been plaguing that city for decades. Covid shall pass. 700 plus homicides in Chicago unfortunately won’t.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Ok Chicago booster, fix that homicide pandemic that’s been plaguing that city for decades. Covid shall pass. 700 plus homicides in Chicago unfortunately won’t.
This city is no less broken than the rest of America. Think of it as a bathroom mirror for the nation.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I said the same thing a month or two ago when people thought that the virus was over and Houston wasn't going to be affected.
Thats not even remotely comparable. Everywhere in the US is being affected. Do we look at LA as a backwards toilet because it was hit just as hard as Houston? Are their medical facilities now garbage?

Youre trying way too hard to make a point that doesnt exist.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Thats not even remotely comparable. Everywhere in the US is being affected. Do we look at LA as a backwards toilet because it was hit just as hard as Houston? Are their medical facilities now garbage?

Youre trying way too hard to make a point that doesnt exist.
You must be new to the forum. If I was "trying" "hard," I'd have written more than a line or two. I used to write full-length opinion pieces in print back when the attention spans supported that kind of thing, before everything ran off retweets and clicks and poorly-written headlines.

The developed world at large sees the United States, at the moment, less like a world superpower and more like Brazil with a bottomless military budget. Not coincidentally, Brazil is also run by a populist buffoon who thinks this is all some kind of joke.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
You must be new to the forum. If I was "trying" "hard," I'd have written more than a line or two. I used to write full-length opinion pieces in print back when the attention spans supported that kind of thing, before everything ran off retweets and clicks and poorly-written headlines.

The developed world at large sees the United States, at the moment, less like a world superpower and more like Brazil with a bottomless military budget. Not coincidentally, Brazil is also run by a populist buffoon who thinks this is all some kind of joke.
Ohh...so youre a troll. Youre saying things to get a reaction instead of presenting an argument for your point.

That makes more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston