Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2021, 08:56 AM

4,753 posts, read 2,999,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The age of consent in Colorado is 17. So if the girl in the story is 17, she isnt underage.
Yeah "if" she was 17. Of course nothing about Drake mocking age of consent laws either. Whatever it takes to give an entertainer the benefit of the doubt I guess.

What do you think about Millie Bobby Brown (who was 14 when she began texting him), Billie Eilish, Bella? I know someone who was around Drake a lot around 2009-2010 and she describes him as very weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 08:58 AM

10,027 posts, read 6,727,017 times
Quote:
The age of consent in Colorado is 17. So if the girl in the story is 17, she isnt underage.
Drake has been put on stage for grooming however. Which is completely legal but still publicly frowned upon. He’s definitely no R Kelly (that we know of) because R Kelly has done far more horrific things but there are reasons people have been calling him “pedo Drake” seemingly overnight.

@DabOnEm I don’t think Drake is escaping the tragedy as easily as you’re saying. He’s not being as scrutinized as Travis but there’s a reason he has only posted once since the festival and the has began doing comment control on social media. There’s even a sizable cancel Apple Music movement going on.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:25 AM

15,517 posts, read 9,211,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
But Americans DO help those less fortunate. In fact, we are some of the most giving people on the planet. Often, when there is a natural disaster somewhere else...it is Americans that pitch in and help first.

Yeah. many DO worship people like Trump or the Kardashians but people have always fawned over odd, moronic famous people. I don't see that stopping anytime soon.

"Americans love to talk about their Christianity" Well...some do and others do not. This is not a theocracy and I hope it never is, but make no mistake about it, many here DO believe in a higher power. THat can be both good and dangerous, I guess.

America has always been a mix and clash of ideals that does not always make sense, but judging by the millions that risk everything to get here - there must be something appealing about us to foreigners.
According to the World Giving Index (WGI) the US does not score particularly high on giving. Not low, but not high either, and we have been dropping down the list for the last six years. Indonesia comes in #1.

cafworldgivingindex2021_report_web2_100621

The US also does not score particularly high on Foreign Aid, which is probably what you are referring with natural disasters. Sweden is comes in #1 on that list.

Official development assistance (ODA) - Net ODA - OECD Data.html

Overall I would say Americans are pretty average when it comes to giving. The inflated view of American generosity, probably comes from the self-worshipping aspects of Americans discussed here.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:03 AM

15,627 posts, read 7,659,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
This is a great post and Travis should have stopped it. I think most sensible people agree but let's not stop there... what about pedo Drake? He was on the same stage with Travis as people were crushed and didnt do a damn thing.

The kid thing... I cant believe a father thought it'd be a good idea to bring his 9 year old son and hoist him on his shoulders for the show. I feel bad for the family but wtf are these parents thinking? It really confuses me.
I was wondering the same thing about the youngster. Even Travis Scott says young kids shouldn't go to his shows.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:11 AM

19,986 posts, read 18,282,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
According to the World Giving Index (WGI) the US does not score particularly high on giving. Not low, but not high either, and we have been dropping down the list for the last six years. Indonesia comes in #1.

The US also does not score particularly high on Foreign Aid, which is probably what you are referring with natural disasters. Sweden is comes in #1 on that list.

Overall I would say Americans are pretty average when it comes to giving. The inflated view of American generosity, probably comes from the self-worshipping aspects of Americans discussed here.

I can't open the CAF link but in the recent past The US was number one, even with the rigged set of questions used to determine rank.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...rous-countries

______

When it comes to actually giving money The US is number one by a mile.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:14 AM

1,952 posts, read 837,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

But the notion was that we are all self centered and non-giving and that is simply not true.

Foreign aid/ Well, I for one. am not in favor of vomiting our money all over countries that hate us or often work against us. That needs to slow down from past numbers.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:17 AM

10,027 posts, read 6,727,017 times
Quote:
But the notion was that we are all self centered and non-giving and that is simply not true.

Foreign aid/ Well, I for one. am not in favor of vomiting our money all over countries that hate us or often work against us. That needs to slow down from past numbers.
I’ll put it this way… the ones who talk the most (Canada… UK) are the ones who aren’t any better then USA.

Old 11-09-2021, 11:23 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,056,890 times
Quote:
I wish I could rep you again.

Back when Trump was elected president, people always used to say things like "how could America do something like this" or "this is so un-American", I used to respond with "actually it makes perfect sense because Trump embodies what our Gods are". Regardless of what the Evangelicals love to say, America is anything but a Christian nation. Our gods are money, power, fame, and ourselves. That IS American culture: worshiping at the altar of yourself.
I largely agree with your post. Of course America is not a Christian nation. There is a remnant of true Christians in America but a very tiny remnant.

The word "Christian" means "follower of Christ" and was actually a derogatory term applied to Christians after the crucifixion. It should be noted that Christians did not call themselves that...they were CALLED Christians because of their actions which made it unmistakable that they were followers of Christ.

Make no mistake that America will be judged for all the things you mentioned.

Old 11-09-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I can't open the CAF link but in the recent past The US was number one, even with the rigged set of questions used to determine rank.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...rous-countries

______

When it comes to actually giving money The US is number one by a mile.
Only because it's the richest country in the world and has the most money to give. Per capita, it's pretty underwhelming.

I don't know why the link didn't work, but here is the relevant part.
Attached Thumbnails
Houston’s Astroworld Fest BREAKS RECORD-screen-shot-2021-11-09-10.58.40  

Old 11-09-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Well there you go. You are not in favor of Foreign Aid. No offense, but you are probably also one of those people who walk by the people collecting money for charities, hold up your hand and tell them that you donated at the office, when you didn't really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston