Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2022, 11:38 PM

15,528 posts, read 7,559,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Bond, Tax rate increase, TRE, whatever you want to call it...Unless there's language saying the money will only go to the in classroom teachers, then I suggest they need to work with the money being generated by the historically high property appraisal

https://www.katyisd.org/domain/5775
OK, that was a tax rate election, not a bond election. Which means the rate stays the same, but total taxes will go up. As usual Katy ISD is awful at informing taxpayers what's happening. Lots of obfuscation on that web page. Historically, KIISD has pooped on their taxpayers and said "trust us". These are the same people that decided the new football stadium should go next to the existing one, rather than somewhere South of I-10, where almost all of the newer schools are.

Old 11-02-2022, 05:10 AM

5,848 posts, read 6,201,069 times
I consider myself a moderate Republican, but I voted for several Democrats this cycle to balance the scales to ideally bring things back to the more centrist principles I believe in.

I see a ton of posts on my social media about the importance of doing your research, being an informed voter etc, and many of these statements come from people I know or suspect to be highly partisan (usually my very liberal friends). I wonder how many of these people are voting across party lines, or just voting straight ticket, and if that was their intent all along, then why the commentary about researching candidates and issues? Is it just some flex?

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Old 11-02-2022, 06:02 AM

4,753 posts, read 2,987,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
No, its not too bad around here to be honest, politically. Most of our local politicians on both sides are fairly reasonable people. (Just speaking on local politicians - state/national pols are a whole different story...)

I remember living in the DC area and the local politicians were a lot more unpredictable - you'd get everything from straight up communists to hard libertarians running for office up there.
Try coastal California where I feel like there is no moderate choice, and where the state will make weird decisions anyway like banning gas stoves by 2030 (everyone and their mom will be replacing their gas stoves and water heaters in 2029).

Old 11-02-2022, 06:18 AM

18,138 posts, read 25,327,940 times
In case you are wondering who is in the pocket of corporations

https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/sta...66471313530880
Oct. 12, 2022

Alexandra del Moral Mealer, the Republican nominee for Harris County judge, raised a whopping $4.9 million for her campaign over a three-month span this summer, more than tripling the haul of incumbent Lina Hidalgo and smashing fundraising records.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:36 AM

2,551 posts, read 4,060,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I consider myself a moderate Republican, but I voted for several Democrats this cycle to balance the scales to ideally bring things back to the more centrist principles I believe in.

I see a ton of posts on my social media about the importance of doing your research, being an informed voter etc, and many of these statements come from people I know or suspect to be highly partisan (usually my very liberal friends). I wonder how many of these people are voting across party lines, or just voting straight ticket, and if that was their intent all along, then why the commentary about researching candidates and issues? Is it just some flex?

Curious to hear your thoughts.
My thoughts are that you can do plenty of research and still vote straight ticket. That's where I am. I am a hyper-informed voter, and despite the length of the ballot I dove deep into the research and the issues. I came away only wishing I could vote for MORE democrats.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:21 AM

5,848 posts, read 6,201,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
My thoughts are that you can do plenty of research and still vote straight ticket. That's where I am. I am a hyper-informed voter, and despite the length of the ballot I dove deep into the research and the issues. I came away only wishing I could vote for MORE democrats.
That's a valid point and I suppose that's true. I don't think that's what many people I know did. Perhaps I should be less cynical and believe more of them did what you describe, LOL.

Old 11-02-2022, 11:43 AM

2,551 posts, read 4,060,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
That's a valid point and I suppose that's true. I don't think that's what many people I know did. Perhaps I should be less cynical and believe more of them did what you describe, LOL.
The Texas Republican Party's platform say that Joe Biden's win was not legitimate. It says that homosexuality is an abnormal lifestyle choice. Anyone running as a Republican in Texas is tacitly agreeing with these points, unless they publicly repudiate them. And even if they do, if it looks like just a way to get ahead in the general election, I'm not buying it. The brand stinks. So a candidate that is getting behind that brand is not getting my vote, unless I find something equally odious about the Dem in the race, which-- spoiler-- I have not.

Repudiate the party platform. Repudiate January 6th. Repudiate the odious conspiracy theories about the Paul Pelosi attack. If you're not doing those things, I see who you are.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:22 PM

1,742 posts, read 1,039,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
In case you are wondering who is in the pocket of corporations

https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/sta...66471313530880
Oct. 12, 2022

Alexandra del Moral Mealer, the Republican nominee for Harris County judge, raised a whopping $4.9 million for her campaign over a three-month span this summer, more than tripling the haul of incumbent Lina Hidalgo and smashing fundraising records.
Obviously FoxNews is conservative but is channel 26 considered conservative as well? I don’t watch it so I am curious. This story about Lina aired a few days ago:

https://youtu.be/odWCZ2vc2yI

Old 11-02-2022, 02:09 PM

225 posts, read 136,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
The Texas Republican Party's platform say that Joe Biden's win was not legitimate.
Both parties have a long history of election denial. How long did we hear Dems complaining that the 2016 election was stolen due to "Russian collusion" with the Trump campaign. After several years of investigation and millions of taxpayer money wasted, Robert Mueller ended up with egg on his face and then the story magically faded to black. Stacy Abrams still is whining about her previous election defeat and claiming that the election was stolen. Hell, Al Gore still thinks he won the 2000 election.

Old 11-02-2022, 02:35 PM

9,935 posts, read 6,651,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
Both parties have a long history of election denial. How long did we hear Dems complaining that the 2016 election was stolen due to "Russian collusion" with the Trump campaign. After several years of investigation and millions of taxpayer money wasted, Robert Mueller ended up with egg on his face and then the story magically faded to black. Stacy Abrams still is whining about her previous election defeat and claiming that the election was stolen. Hell, Al Gore still thinks he won the 2000 election.
Hillary conceded. Trump did not. That’s the big difference there. There will always be the crazy internet fanbase that is convinced that their party won. When the candidate themself tries to do everything in their power to turn around an election; the damage sis greater
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston