Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2022, 12:38 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,790,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
Again, Harris County elections are completely run by Democrats.
I agree with you lol. Nevermind having two full weeks (including weekends) to vote only show up at the polls on election day and cry foul ball I’m soo over these tired arguments about voter suppression SMH. The people have spoken, time to move on.

Old 11-09-2022, 12:42 PM

10,044 posts, read 6,745,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I agree with you lol. Nevermind having two full weeks (including weekends) to vote only show up at the polls on election day and cry foul ball I’m soo over these tired arguments about voter suppression SMH. The people have spoken, time to move on.
The person you responded to is the one arguing that voter suppression interfered with the results

Old 11-09-2022, 12:48 PM

684 posts, read 285,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The person you responded to is the one arguing that voter suppression interfered with the results

ROFL. NO... No I am not the person who is arguing that voter suppression interfered with the result. I have posted nothing of the sort.

I merely pointed out that Democrats are in complete control of the voting system in Harris County in response to DOPO's laughable claim of voter suppression of liberals in Harris County and to your follow-up claim of "stuff going on . . . from both sides". (Since you apparently missed the point, more than once, it would have been pretty difficult, to put it lightly, for Republicans to have manipulated the election system in Harris County to suppress the vote of Democrats, because it is entirely under the control of Democrats.)

Old 11-09-2022, 12:59 PM

2,556 posts, read 4,071,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Not weekends. Weekend. One weekend. Very challenging to get college students home to vote. My son tried to get an absentee ballot and his application was rejected because he didn't list an out of county address. Which is ridiculous because they didn't ask for one. He gave his reason as being out of county on Election Day, then listed his home address to receive the ballot. This should be fine. Plenty of people are home at some point, but not home during early voting/Election Day (travel, work, school). But his application was rejected, and evidently the second one didn't get there on time because he never received an absentee ballot.

I'm not calling it suppression of the college student vote (though you could). I am saying they are not making it easy for people to absentee vote. Having to fill out a paper application just to get a ballot-- and then having that application be something that is easy to reject-- is ridiculous.

Old 11-09-2022, 01:28 PM

306 posts, read 271,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Not weekends. Weekend. One weekend. Very challenging to get college students home to vote. My son tried to get an absentee ballot and his application was rejected because he didn't list an out of county address. Which is ridiculous because they didn't ask for one. He gave his reason as being out of county on Election Day, then listed his home address to receive the ballot. This should be fine. Plenty of people are home at some point, but not home during early voting/Election Day (travel, work, school). But his application was rejected, and evidently the second one didn't get there on time because he never received an absentee ballot.

I'm not calling it suppression of the college student vote (though you could). I am saying they are not making it easy for people to absentee vote. Having to fill out a paper application just to get a ballot-- and then having that application be something that is easy to reject-- is ridiculous.
I'm just guessing - and have never requested an absentee ballot (frankly when I was in college I could not have cared less about elections - and to some extent don't really care about them even today some 20 years later because either way, my life doesn't really change), but I would assume they don't mail absentee ballots to an in-county address, because that would seem to imply the person is in the county OR that someone else would fill out the ballot. Again, that would just be a guess on my part.

I'm sure I could look it up if I was truly interested, but I am somewhat curious as to the history of early-voting and mail-in voting. I'm certain at some point in history there was only one day to vote, and people probably took it seriously. I don't know how many people in Harris County showed up to vote (I thought I saw Harris count Judge position had just over a million total votes), but if just over a million people voted, then that means more people took time off of work and school to go to an Astros parade.

Old 11-09-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Actually, the form does tell applicants that they must provide an address outside of the county. In fact, it says it twice. First, in the instructions for Box 2 - "Mail My Ballot To:" it says "If you are absent from the county– Your ballot must be mailed to an address outside the county."

Then again. in the instructions for Box 3 - "Reason for Voting by Mail:" it says "If you choose "Expected Absence from the County, you . . . . The ballot must be mailed to an address outside the county . . . ."

https://webservices.sos.state.tx.us/forms/5-15f.pdf

Old 11-09-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:

The state's form does tell applicants that they must provide an address outside of the county. In fact, it says it twice. First, in the instructions for Box 2 - "Mail My Ballot To:" it says "If you are absent from the county– Your ballot must be mailed to an address outside the county."

Then again. in the instructions for Box 3 - "Reason for Voting by Mail:" it says "If you choose "Expected Absence from the County, you . . . . The ballot must be mailed to an address outside the county . . . ."

The county's form (produced entirely by Democrats... are Democrats suppressing the college vote?) is less clear, from what I can see. One can rarely go wrong presuming incompetence rather than skullduggery... This looks like breath-taking incompetence. Why bother making your own form when the state already has a better one they could use?!?!

Old 11-09-2022, 01:44 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,790,757 times
Quote:
The state's form does tell applicants that they must provide an address outside of the county. In fact, it says it twice. First, in the instructions for Box 2 - "Mail My Ballot To:" it says "If you are absent from the county– Your ballot must be mailed to an address outside the county."

The county's form (produced entirely by Democrats... are Democrats suppressing the college vote?) is less clear, from what I can see. One can rarely go wrong presuming incompetence rather than skullduggery... This looks like breath-taking incompetence. Why bother making your own form when the state already has a better one they could use?!?!
lol, ^^^That part^^^

Old 11-09-2022, 01:58 PM

1,775 posts, read 1,062,369 times
As I mentioned in an earlier post Hidalgo really won this election from the mail-in ballots, so I say phooey on any claims of voter suppression.

Old 11-09-2022, 02:46 PM

15,654 posts, read 7,688,564 times
Quote:

I don't see where the law requires a mail ballot be sent to an out of county address. What happens if you cannot receive mail when you are out of the county? Maybe on a drilling rig, or on a ship. For a college student, it's not that hard, they all have an out of county address. What's the earliest you can apply for a mail ballot? That's not clear either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston