Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2022, 08:48 PM

10,046 posts, read 6,750,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don’t see anybody in news media pointing out that Harris county had a blue wave
Now 3 of the 4 commissioners are democrats and republicans can’t boycott voting on the budget
That’s not really news. It was news in 2018

Old 11-09-2022, 09:36 PM

18,159 posts, read 25,405,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That’s not really news. It was news in 2018
Harris County Precinct 4 Commissioner Jack Cagle loses reelection
Nov. 9, 2022

The race for Harris County Precinct 4 commissioner was called in the favor of Democratic challenger Lesley Briones on Wednesday morning, according to the Harris County Elections office. Briones will take Republican incumbent Jack Cagle's seat on the county's highest elected governing body, giving the Harris County commissioners court a powerful 4-1 Democratic majority in the coming cycle.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:40 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,556,134 times
Harris county was already a $hithole county. Now it's becoming $hithole^2 county

Old 11-09-2022, 10:15 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Harris county was already a $hithole county. Now it's becoming $hithole^2 county
Life is too short to be miserable. The USA is 3.8 million square miles. Go find your happy place.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:20 PM

1,775 posts, read 1,063,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don’t see anybody in news media pointing out that Harris county had a blue wave
Now 3 of the 4 commissioners are democrats and republicans can’t boycott voting on the budget
It actually is huge news. The table was set for this last year when Hidalgo and the Democrats re-wrote the district lines to guarantee the Democrats would gain a super-majority on the Commissioner’s Court. In some ways it reminds me of what just happened in Los Angeles where the Hispanics were plotting how to solidify their power (except they got caught by a secret recording making racist comments).

Harris County Commissioner’s Court now has 3 latinos, 1 black, and 1 white on the Court. It’s the first time the court has had 2 women. One could argue this racial make-up is reflective of the county. Not only can the Democrats control the budget but they can also raise taxes, which requires a super-majority on the Court.

It won’t be long before the media catches up to this story…

Old 11-10-2022, 02:21 AM

2,036 posts, read 3,550,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
It actually is huge news. The table was set for this last year when Hidalgo and the Democrats re-wrote the district lines to guarantee the Democrats would gain a super-majority on the Commissioner’s Court. In some ways it reminds me of what just happened in Los Angeles where the Hispanics were plotting how to solidify their power (except they got caught by a secret recording making racist comments).

Harris County Commissioner’s Court now has 3 latinos, 1 black, and 1 white on the Court. It’s the first time the court has had 2 women. One could argue this racial make-up is reflective of the county. Not only can the Democrats control the budget but they can also raise taxes, which requires a super-majority on the Court.

It won’t be long before the media catches up to this story…
Yeah the news last night was saying now they'll be able to provide more social services and raise property taxes, so I suspect our taxes will go up. With market values skyrocketing it's hard to catch a break.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:15 AM

227 posts, read 139,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Life is too short to be miserable. The USA is 3.8 million square miles. Go find your happy place.
I think that is what will happen for many. I'm not too surprised that Hidalgo won in a tight race, but I really didn't expect all of these liberal judges to get reelected. Many saw this election as a referendum on crime and now are convinced things will not change for the better in Harris County. I expect to see more red migration to nearby suburbs (Sugar Land, Friendswood, Woodlands, etc) while Harris County will go deeper blue.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:04 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,791,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
I think that is what will happen for many. I'm not too surprised that Hidalgo won in a tight race, but I really didn't expect all of these liberal judges to get reelected. Many saw this election as a referendum on crime and now are convinced things will not change for the better in Harris County. I expect to see more red migration to nearby suburbs (Sugar Land, Friendswood, Woodlands, etc) while Harris County will go deeper blue.
Yeah, I see Harris county becoming more like Chicago. We can remain in denial only for so long, I think the foundation is in place.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:17 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,044 times
I think they’ll go farther out than that. Maybe Fulshear as Sugar land is already light blue and doesn’t feel like the USA sometimes. Friendswood you have to go wayyy the hell out where there is nothing. Where it touches Clear Lake & Webster is solid blue, need to go to League City but Galveston co has never been solid red. The Woodlands maybe- but I know a few people who didn’t like how it was diversifying and moved to Montgomery. They can’t be the only ones. Another area to watch would be Sealy to Needville. But it’s not like Harris is some kind of blue stronghold like Travis. The margins were all pretty close.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:17 AM

227 posts, read 139,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
The Woodlands maybe- but I know a few people who didn’t like how it was diversifying and moved to Montgomery.
Funny you say that. We have been looking to move to the Woodlands. The housing inventory is crazy low except in Creekside which is the portion in Harris County. Looks like every is thinking the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston