Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 09:02 AM

10,026 posts, read 6,718,197 times

Advertisements

Traded Hopkins for a bag of peanuts and gets promoted
“Can’t have the inmates running the prison”
Up 3 touchdowns, lose by halftime in the division game
Jack Easterby

Yep the problem is the name alright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 09:05 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,055,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The homeless situation will be fixed when the freeway is buried and the elevated portion disappears.
Season ticket holder parking is already on the EADO side of the freeway... so the homeless people are not preventing anybody from walking to that side.

Old 08-26-2022, 11:14 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,655,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The homeless situation will be fixed when the freeway is buried and the elevated portion disappears.
You know what I completely forgot about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Season ticket holder parking is already on the EADO side of the freeway... so the homeless people are not preventing anybody from walking to that side.
Yeah but that's during games when there's a heavy police presence in that area. At night time when it's no games, you don't see a lot of people going under that freeway to get to Eado. I always see more and more homeless people at night when there's not a game there.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:36 PM

4,753 posts, read 2,998,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Traded Hopkins for a bag of peanuts and gets promoted
“Can’t have the inmates running the prison”
Up 3 touchdowns, lose by halftime in the division game
Jack Easterby

Yep the problem is the name alright
All things I've said in this thread were problems, and you can add the Texans name to the list to. Yall acting like they can't all go together. Texans brand is at an all time low right now that it'd be the perfect time for a rebrand.

And btw McNair said "inmates running the asylum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Texans era of winnings? Really? Texans hasn't even made it to an AFC championship so yeah they've had some good runs but in order to garner national and respectable attention at some point you're gonna have to win a SB.

Nobody cares about a name. Most franchise names are silly. I can assure you the Texans name is not the reason they don't have a bigger fanbase. Which btw, you would think Houston Texans was the least valuable according to you but the reality is Texans franchise is not even close to being the laughing stock of a franchise in the league. You have much older franchises that are less popular nationally than the Texans.

Bottom line, WINNING takes care of all of that. And I mean winning big. Texans haven't done that yet so they'll never gain young fans who are becoming NFL fans and Fairweather fans.
People do care about names. That's why so many wanted Oilers back even though the franchise is synonymous with losing. It's why Cleveland got the "Browns" package when they received their new team. It's why Charlotte got the "Hornets" name back. I wouldn't say most franchise names are silly. Some don't make sense for the location they are in like Lakers, but the vast majority have meaning. Texans was a lazy cop out. It has manifested itself as a lazy do nothing franchise.

For years Texans fans have felt the name has been limiting it's broad appeal so this isn't a new topic.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
All things I've said in this thread were problems, and you can add the Texans name to the list to. Yall acting like they can't all go together. Texans brand is at an all time low right now that it'd be the perfect time for a rebrand.

And btw McNair said "inmates running the asylum"

People do care about names. That's why so many wanted Oilers back even though the franchise is synonymous with losing. It's why Cleveland got the "Browns" package when they received their new team. It's why Charlotte got the "Hornets" name back. I wouldn't say most franchise names are silly. Some don't make sense for the location they are in like Lakers, but the vast majority have meaning. Texans was a lazy cop out. It has manifested itself as a lazy do nothing franchise.

For years Texans fans have felt the name has been limiting it's broad appeal so this isn't a new topic.
No, McNair did say "inmates running the prison". I remember this because this was pretty high profile at the time given that the traditional saying is "asylum" and he switched that word to "prison". It was a big deal at the time.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/27/...eting-protests

That was also around the one and only time that I was giving the Texans a chance to at least be a secondary team to me as I rather enjoyed Watson and Hopkins and the excitement they brought. All that went down the drain after the trade.

Anyway, like I mentioned above, we obviously have different opinions and I'll just have to disagree. If I could remove the emotional attachment from the dynasty of the Patriots, I would think that "Patriots" is a horrible name. But since they had the best run in the super bowl era, that does way more than mask their otherwise horrible name. The same would apply to the Texans if the run that the Patriots did. Even if the Texans name is a problem (which I don't particularly think it is), it is miniature in comparison with everything else that we have mentioned.

The one and only problem I have with the Texans name is the Oilers and their history and the McNairs should've done everything in their power to try to get it back.

Old 08-26-2022, 02:22 PM

4,753 posts, read 2,998,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
No, McNair did say "inmates running the prison". I remember this because this was pretty high profile at the time given that the traditional saying is "asylum" and he switched that word to "prison". It was a big deal at the time.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/27/...eting-protests

That was also around the one and only time that I was giving the Texans a chance to at least be a secondary team to me as I rather enjoyed Watson and Hopkins and the excitement they brought. All that went down the drain after the trade.

Anyway, like I mentioned above, we obviously have different opinions and I'll just have to disagree. If I could remove the emotional attachment from the dynasty of the Patriots, I would think that "Patriots" is a horrible name. But since they had the best run in the super bowl era, that does way more than mask their otherwise horrible name. The same would apply to the Texans if the run that the Patriots did. Even if the Texans name is a problem (which I don't particularly think it is), it is miniature in comparison with everything else that we have mentioned.

The one and only problem I have with the Texans name is the Oilers and their history and the McNairs should've done everything in their power to try to get it back.
I was wrong about McNair, thanks. But like I said earlier, the Texans have a long list of problems and the name is one of them. It's goofy and the production that comes from it is goofy with terrible country music theme songs.

Curious why you don't like Patriots. Considering what a Patriot is and the city it represents, I think it fits in well.

Old 08-26-2022, 02:51 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,089,419 times
The name sucks. Yes, TEXAS as a brand does sell, but generally for things that people already associate with Texas (steakhouses, Bucee's/beef jerky, etc.).

For a football team with goals of being a national brand, its hugely limiting and you will not find many Texans fans outside of the state unless they are from the Houston area.

Old 08-26-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
The name sucks. Yes, TEXAS as a brand does sell, but generally for things that people already associate with Texas (steakhouses, Bucee's/beef jerky, etc.).

For a football team with goals of being a national brand, its hugely limiting and you will not find many Texans fans outside of the state unless they are from the Houston area.
Or… the more realistic thing, the Texans suck, almost always do and that’s why people see that they see them as a team that sucks

Old 08-26-2022, 03:16 PM

While we are on the topic of names, is the reason for the Dynamo’s name due to the energy industry?

Old 08-26-2022, 03:41 PM

684 posts, read 283,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post

LOL the link is not random just because you disagree. I even said there were several other links I could have used. Pre-Game experience and what is around the stadium is definitely a part of the gameday experience. As for the stadiums themselves, all I said was NRG was the last of the old era (started construction a couple months into 00), while AT&T and State Farm were the beginning of the new era. What is not factual about that? IMO they are better designed stadiums than NRG.
But of course you know very well that is not all you said. Far from it. When I asked you what Glendale's and Arlington's stadiums have that NRG Stadium lacks, you told us that "One easy one is they can rotate different fields inside the stadium for different playing surfaces, unlike the terrible sod job done at NRG that resulted in one of the higher injury rates in the NFL. The Cowboys and Cardinals stadiums each can rotate between 2-3 fields IIRC. They also have more space inside. Plenty of other things too."

The capability to rotate different fields is false for both Cowboys and Cardinals Stadiums and you conveniently ignore the fact that NRG hasn't used the original sod for 7 years. Your claim that they have more space inside is also false with regard to the Cardinals stadium. "By Plenty of other things too", I guess you meant plenty more made-up things.

Then you told us that half the stadium bakes in the sun because of the way they positioned the stadium. Interestingly, they DO have that problem at the supposedly vastly superior AT&T Stadium, the team has acknowledged they have the problem and the team has acknowledged that is why they don't open their roof, and most interesting of all, their stadium is positioned east-west while NRG is positioned north-south... Go figure. (In addition to the sun baking their fans, AT&T Stadium also has a video/scoreboard that interferes with the game and sun glaring through the west end-zone glass, also interfering with the games.)

Then you told us NRG was awarded the 2017 Super Bowl as part of the deal to build NRG Stadium. Also false.

I'm still interested in what features NRG lacks that State Farm Stadium and AT&T Stadium have (or any of the many other stadiums that NRG "does not touch"). If anyone knows of any, I'm genuinely interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston