Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 01:38 PM

679 posts, read 275,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Of course they wouldn't which is why the Texans should have went with Apollos. Still prettt dumb for the adams family to be that petty

Are you really trying to compare their stadiums to NRG? One easy one is they can rotate different fields inside the stadium for different playing surfaces, unlike the terrible sod job done at NRG that resulted in one of the higher injury rates in the NFL. The Cowboys and Cardinals stadiums each can rotate between 2-3 fields IIRC. They also have more space inside. Plenty of other things too.

That was hyperbole on their part, but NRG is only just adequate enough at this point. It does not touch any of the stadiums which opened just a couple years after it, and definitely not any completed since 2012. For example, the way they built NRG makes it a terrible stadium to open the roof because they positioned it where half the stadium bakes in the sun. Plus the windflow is terrible so it gets real hot.

News flash: Both NRG and AT&T Stadiums have artificial turf. What other "playing surfaces" are they supposedly rotating in to AT&T Stadium or in State Farm Stadium? That's pretty funny. (In Phoenix, they have a natural grass playing surface that they slide out of they building so it can get sunlight and rain. They don't "rotate" in other playing surfaces.)

Cardinals' stadium is bigger inside? Per their respective websites, NRG Stadium seats 72,220, State Farm seats 63,400 "with an ability to expand to 73,000 for mega events." NRG is 1.9 Million Square Feet; State Farm: 1.7 Million. NRG has 197 suites. State Farm: 88 "lofts".

Not sure your "analysis" of sunlight and "windflow" makes any sense, but it's almost irrelevant because the Texans rarely open the roof.

Still waiting to see what the Arlington and Glendale stadiums have that Houston's doesn't (something that is based in reality).

If NRG was "only adequate enough", it wouldn't have been picked to host a second Super Bowl (while AT&T Stadium has still only hosted one).

Last edited by oil capital; 08-23-2022 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 04:34 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
News flash: Both NRG and AT&T Stadiums have artificial turf. What other "playing surfaces" are they supposedly rotating in to AT&T Stadium or in State Farm Stadium? That's pretty funny. (In Phoenix, they have a natural grass playing surface that they slide out of they building so it can get sunlight and rain. They don't "rotate" in other playing surfaces.)
The Texans for years used pallets that were dangerous for players. It was why Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, among others would get injured. They even spoke about it several times in the media. It's common knowledge for long time Texans fans. They only recently switched to artifical turf because of those issues I brought up.

Quote:
Cardinals' stadium is bigger inside? Per their respective websites, NRG Stadium seats 72,220, State Farm seats 63,400 "with an ability to expand to 73,000 for mega events." NRG is 1.9 Million Square Feet; State Farm: 1.7 Million. NRG has 197 suites. State Farm: 88 "lofts".
State Farm is smaller than I thought but it's a better stadium experience.

Quote:
Not sure your "analysis" of sunlight and "windflow" makes any sense, but it's almost irrelevant because the Texans rarely open the roof.
Lol you ever wonder why the Texans dont open the roof anymore? Could it be too many complaints from the fans?

Quote:
Still waiting to see what the Arlington and Glendale stadiums have that Houston's doesn't (something that is based in reality).

If NRG was "only adequate enough", it wouldn't have been picked to host a second Super Bowl (while AT&T Stadium has still only hosted one).
NRG receiving two Super Bowls was basically the deal once it opened and you need to look at when the super bowls were awarded and what stadiums were projected to be open. NRG will have a harder time moving forward.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:36 PM

9,903 posts, read 6,612,278 times
While I’m not a fan of the Texans name, the Apollos name would be much much worse. I’m glad they didn’t go that route

Old 08-23-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
While I’m not a fan of the Texans name, the Apollos name would be much much worse. I’m glad they didn’t go that route
Why is Apollos much worse than Texans? Especially when Texans wont resonate outside Texas.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
The Texans for years used pallets that were dangerous for players. It was why Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, among others would get injured. They even spoke about it several times in the media. It's common knowledge for long time Texans fans. They only recently switched to artifical turf because of those issues I brought up.

State Farm is smaller than I thought but it's a better stadium experience.

Lol you ever wonder why the Texans dont open the roof anymore? Could it be too many complaints from the fans?

NRG receiving two Super Bowls was basically the deal once it opened and you need to look at when the super bowls were awarded and what stadiums were projected to be open. NRG will have a harder time moving forward.
I honestly think you’re exaggerating. NRG isn’t the best stadium in the NFL or anything close to it cough cough LA, Atlanta…. But you’re putting it much worse then it is imo. NRG Stadium is solid

Old 08-23-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Why is Apollos much worse than Texans? Especially when Texans wont resonate outside Texas.
I’ll once again have to disagree with you. Btw I’m putting it out there that im a Ravens fan. So I’m not “defending my team”. Now back to the question

Why do I think the Apollos team is terrible? For one, it just doesn’t sound appealing. But beyond that, just think about it. Astros? Great name? Rockets? Same. But that’s enough for the space theme. A third is just too much. Texans isn’t an amazing name or anything but I’d much rather that than the Apollos.

I’ll also have to disagree with a Texans name not resonating outside of Texas. The Yankees are a global team despite the term Yankee being regional. Texas is one of the most profiling states names in the country. Regardless of it being a good or bad image of the state. It’s not say.. “The Oklahomans”. The state name would work on a selective number of states and the Texans is one. Another would be “Hawaiians”.

The reason for the bad image of the Texans isn’t the name. Nor the stadium. It’s because Bill O Brown traded DeAndre Hopkins and still didn’t get fired. It’s because they were up by more than 3 TDs in the division game and still lost. It’s because they never made a championship game. It’s because Bob McNair publicly shouted the “inmates running the prison” incident. It’s because of the Jack Easterby situation. I’d go on but I think I made my point.

Despite what you’re saying, the Texans name is both regional and catchy and the stadium is solid. Not great. But solid. The image that you and everyone else have on them would be completely different if they had success.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree on this one.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’ll once again have to disagree with you. Btw I’m putting it out there that im a Ravens fan. So I’m not “defending my team”. Now back to the question

Why do I think the Apollos team is terrible? For one, it just doesn’t sound appealing. But beyond that, just think about it. Astros? Great name? Rockets? Same. But that’s enough for the space theme. A third is just too much. Texans isn’t an amazing name or anything but I’d much rather that than the Apollos.

I’ll also have to disagree with a Texans name not resonating outside of Texas. The Yankees are a global team despite the term Yankee being regional. Texas is one of the most profiling states names in the country. Regardless of it being a good or bad image of the state. It’s not say.. “The Oklahomans”. The state name would work on a selective number of states and the Texans is one. Another would be “Hawaiians”.
Nah see Yankee is far more universal tham Texan because Yankee referred to anyone from the United States, not just New York. An equivalent name to Texan for a New York team is simply New Yorker.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the name. Apollos is more regional and is a synonym for destoryer. That would have worked well for an NFL team.

Quote:
The reason for the bad image of the Texans isn’t the name. Nor the stadium. It’s because Bill O Brown traded DeAndre Hopkins and still didn’t get fired. It’s because they were up by more than 3 TDs in the division game and still lost. It’s because they never made a championship game. It’s because Bob McNair publicly shouted the “inmates running the prison” incident. It’s because of the Jack Easterby situation. I’d go on but I think I made my point.

Despite what you’re saying, the Texans name is both regional and catchy and the stadium is solid. Not great. But solid. The image that you and everyone else have on them would be completely different if they had success.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree on this one.
The Texans existed long before Bill OBrien. The reason they really started getting a bad name was the inmate running the asylum comment Bob McNair made. Then it was players constantly being given the runaround on contracts, then it was Easterby running things like a church service, etc. The DeAndrew trade was the icing on top. The Texans were a laughing stock long before that, long before wearing high school letterman jackets to an nfl playoff game (and losing badly), long before not making the Manning trade and sticking with Schaub, long beforethe bad draft misses, etc.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Nah see Yankee is far more universal tham Texan because Yankee referred to anyone from the United States, not just New York. An equivalent name to Texan for a New York team is simply New Yorker.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the name. Apollos is more regional and is a synonym for destoryer. That would have worked well for an NFL team.
Texas Roadhouse… Walker, Texas Ranger…. Sandy on SpongeBob… whether you like it or not, the Texas name sells. Whether for the good or bad. I do agree that The Oilers would’ve been a far better name though

Quote:

The Texans existed long before Bill OBrien. The reason they really started getting a bad name was the inmate running the asylum comment Bob McNair made. Then it was players constantly being given the runaround on contracts, then it was Easterby running things like a church service, etc. The DeAndrew trade was the icing on top. The Texans were a laughing stock long before that, long before wearing high school letterman jackets to an nfl playoff game (and losing badly), long before not making the Manning trade and sticking with Schaub, long beforethe bad draft misses, etc.
That’s my point. What you’re saying tbere is the problem. Not the stadium or name. They were always too new and never good to have a positive image. Look at the Jets.

For a short lived time, the Texans were beginning to at least look promising when the Clemson Connection was born and things like that. Were that era to have taken off, it would be a different story. Instead, Bill traded Hopkins basically for free and didn’t even get fired and the rest is history. That wasted opportunity further mocked what could’ve been a turn around. All that and everything in between is where the image comes from. Were they to have made a major success (or even a late 2010s run like the Rockets), the name and image would’ve been a different story.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:16 PM

Hate to do a double post, but there’s something I forgot to add in regards to the Apollos as a name. On top of what I already pointed out above (the space themed void already being filled), you also have to remember that the Astros were born in 1962. That was the same decade that the space race was going on. That was the same year that JFK did the “we choose to go to the moon speech”. That was just a year after Houston was chosen to house the Human Flight Center.

Now let’s flash forward to the moon landing in 1969. Houston became the first word transmitted from the moon. Less than two years after, the Rockets moved to Houston.

These were big events that forever live in the identity and legacy of the city and the Astros and Rockets hold that identity.

The Texans were born in the 2000s. Even if they did choose a name like the Apollos, they won’t have the history that the Rockets and Astros had that coincided with the events of NASA. The timing isn’t there. While Houston still has a large aerospace industry, it isn’t the peak that that was on everyone’s eyes throughout the 60s and early 70s. What the Rockets and Astros adopted can’t be duplicated in the 2000s or 2010s or 2020s.

Even if the Texans isn’t the right name, neither is the Apollos.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:35 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,029,766 times
ParaguaneroSwag has covered this topic very well. Apollos almost has a Russian connotation to me… not sure why.

The letterman jacket fiasco was for a Monday Night game against New England, not a playoff game. Are you a Cowboys fan?

NRG is hosting the NCAA Men’s Basketball Finals in 2023, then the World Cup. After that who knows? It is the fan experience that will win the right to host more Super Bowls, not just the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston