Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 08:35 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Hate to do a double post, but there’s something I forgot to add in regards to the Apollos as a name. On top of what I already pointed out above (the space themed void already being filled), you also have to remember that the Astros were born in 1962. That was the same decade that the space race was going on. That was the same year that JFK did the “we choose to go to the moon speech”. That was just a year after Houston was chosen to house the Human Flight Center.

Now let’s flash forward to the moon landing in 1969. Houston became the first word transmitted from the moon. Less than two years after, the Rockets moved to Houston.

These were big events that forever live in the identity and legacy of the city and the Astros and Rockets hold that identity.

The Texans were born in the 2000s. Even if they did choose a name like the Apollos, they won’t have the history that the Rockets and Astros had that coincided with the events of NASA. The timing isn’t there. While Houston still has a large aerospace industry, it isn’t the peak that that was on everyone’s eyes throughout the 60s and early 70s. What the Rockets and Astros adopted can’t be duplicated in the 2000s or 2010s or 2020s.

Even if the Texans isn’t the right name, neither is the Apollos.
I honestly dont understand your point here. So was Comets not a good name for the WNBA team Houston had due to timing? What about the Aeros?

Apollos would have been just fine. Just about every name was better than Texans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
ParaguaneroSwag has covered this topic very well. Apollos almost has a Russian connotation to me… not sure why.

The letterman jacket fiasco was for a Monday Night game against New England, not a playoff game. Are you a Cowboys fan?

NRG is hosting the NCAA Men’s Basketball Finals in 2023, then the World Cup. After that who knows? It is the fan experience that will win the right to host more Super Bowls, not just the stadium.
Thats right. I got it mixed up because they proceeded to get trounched the rest of the season, including again in New England that year.

So you think I'm a Cowboys fan because I believe their stadium is better?

There is nothing Russian about Apollos. There are so many ways they could have ran with the name. Look up what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 09:00 PM

9,866 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I honestly dont understand your point here. So was Comets not a good name for the WNBA team Houston had due to timing? What about the Aeros?

Apollos would have been just fine. Just about every name was better than Texans.
Aeros formed in 1972 which was still the space era and they were a relocation from the Dayton Arrows. The name “Aeros” is pronounced exactly the same as “Arrows” while using a taking on a name that applies to a Houston team just 3 years after the moon landing. Starting a franchise as the Apollos doesn’t ring in the same magic at all that the Rockets and Astros did when formed. No, I simply don’t think Apollos is a better choice than Texans.

The #1 reason the Texans have a negative association is the Texans history, not the same. If the Texans had a successful run, the name Texans would be a powerful name and no one would be saying “but sadly we’re named the Texans”.

I know this portion of the response wasn’t to me but I’m just going to point out that I don’t think you’re a cowboys fan just because you prefer their stadium. Likewise, I’m not a Texans fan and I find the Texans stadium solid. Not elite but certainly solid.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:29 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,089 times
Nice thread...Just for the people who are unfamiliar.

https://youtu.be/zEKNInruF0k

Old 08-23-2022, 10:48 PM

134 posts, read 133,402 times
Quote:
Yeah the Texans don't deserve one honestly. Franchise is trash.

The Rockets could have used one ten years ago. They have literally the worst practice court in the entire NBA. If they can't take up a surface lot downtown for a cool urban practice court like the Nets have, then they need to go somewhere in the Inner Loop (maybe EaDo)?

We want free agents to want to come here when Jalen and Jabari are in their prime.
I've been thinking the same thing as far as the Rockets. I wish the Texans would rebrand and change their name.

Old 08-24-2022, 06:58 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
I'm surprised the Texans don't have a class practice facility now. The Star is all the way up in Frisco which replaced Valley Ranch.

About AT&T stadium, I think it's a great stadium but I don't like location that much. I mean football stadiums out of all stadiums probably belong in the suburbs anyway but the east west format is where I think they dropped the ball. The sun shines on the players faces through the window in late afternoon games. Other than that, I still put it in the top five of stadiums.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:47 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,046,970 times
Texans and Apollos are both, how do you say... horrible names.

Chalk me up as someone who is also not a fan of AT&T Stadium. The Benz in Atlanta is much nicer. The entire place feels like a huge movie theater more than a football stadium - the screen is overwhelming and the lighting is blinding at certain times of day.

Old 08-24-2022, 11:05 AM

9,866 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Texans and Apollos are both, how do you say... horrible names.

Chalk me up as someone who is also not a fan of AT&T Stadium. The Benz in Atlanta is much nicer. The entire place feels like a huge movie theater more than a football stadium - the screen is overwhelming and the lighting is blinding at certain times of day.
And then you realize that LA and Vegas have even better stadiums than Atlanta. Yeah, AT&T stadium is definitely not top 5 regardless of location

Old 08-24-2022, 11:05 AM

679 posts, read 274,028 times
Quote:
The Texans for years used pallets that were dangerous for players. It was why Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, among others would get injured. They even spoke about it several times in the media. It's common knowledge for long time Texans fans. They only recently switched to artifical turf because of those issues I brought up.

I am well aware of the issues with the original playing surface at NRG, but they switched to artificial turf SEVEN YEARS AGO. The claims you made about the Arlington and Glendale stadiums being able to switch out multiple playing surfaces were false.

State Farm is smaller than I thought but it's a better stadium experience.

In what way? What does it have that NRG does not have? So far you've given me nothing.[

Lol you ever wonder why the Texans dont open the roof anymore? Could it be too many complaints from the fans?

LOL indeed. Fans are the one who would like them to open the roof. As far as anyone knows, the reason they tend to keep the roof closed is to create more crowd noise. Your claims about the position of the stadium and "windflow" are nonsensical.

NRG receiving two Super Bowls was basically the deal once it opened and you need to look at when the super bowls were awarded and what stadiums were projected to be open. NRG will have a harder time moving forward.

Another falsehood. There was no deal for two Super Bowls. If NRG was the barely adequate stadium you are claiming it to be, the NFL would have gone with one of the supposedly far superior venues. They could have easily taken the 2017 Super Bowl to Arlington or Indianapolis, or back to Glendale (all of which stadiums, according to you, NRG "does not touch"). And yet, the NFL chose to come to Houston.
I don't know the source of your animosity towards NRG Stadium, but it seems to be clouding your thinking. I first responded to you because I was genuinely curious about the claims that NRG Stadium is inferior to other stadiums. All you've given me are false claims and meaningless generalities.

Last edited by oil capital; 08-24-2022 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-24-2022, 11:23 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
These were the last remaining names Houston NFL had to choose from: Apollos, Bobcats, Stallions, Texans, and Wildcatters

Out of those names, Apollos and Stallions would have the most broad appeal. Bobcats and Wildcatters sound like minor league names. And Texans is too regional to catch on. I remember being on the side that loved the name Texans, especially when Bob McNair said "we are Texas' team", but once I got older I realized how stupid that was. Why limit yourself like that? Texans are the worst brand in the NFL now. Time for a redo.

Quote:
And then you realize that LA and Vegas have even better stadiums than Atlanta. Yeah, AT&T stadium is definitely not top 5 regardless of location
AT&T is surely in the top 5.

Benz in Atl
Sofi
Raiders
AT&T
Cardinals Stadium

Vikings definitely have a shot for the top 5 instead of the Cardinals' stadium, but that's about it. I know one thing, NRG isn't even in the top ten at this point.

Quote:
Aeros formed in 1972 which was still the space era and they were a relocation from the Dayton Arrows. The name “Aeros” is pronounced exactly the same as “Arrows” while using a taking on a name that applies to a Houston team just 3 years after the moon landing. Starting a franchise as the Apollos doesn’t ring in the same magic at all that the Rockets and Astros did when formed. No, I simply don’t think Apollos is a better choice than Texans.
So what about the Comets? Seems to be you're just adding arbitrary years to when the space program launched and saying the team name makes sense because it was only 2 years after, 3 years after, etc. At the end of the day, the space theme is Houston. There have been several movies released the last decade like the Martian and Interstellar that still use "Houston" has a big part of the movie world building. So having another name that could go along with the space theme is not overdoing it, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
I don't know the source of your animosity towards NRG Stadium, but it seems to be clouding your thinking. I first responded to you because I was genuinely curious about the claims that NRG Stadium is inferior to other stadiums. All you've given me are false claims and meaningless generalities.
https://bookies.com/nfl/picks/ranking-nfl-stadiums-pregame-experience

There are several other links I could have used too. And lol at the false claims you say I'm making. I don't have anything against NRG, I just think some Texans fans are stuck in 2003 thinking it is still one of the top tier NFL stadiums. Several other teams now have better stadiums and better neighborhoods around the stadium.

Old 08-24-2022, 11:42 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,023,224 times
Quote:
These were the last remaining names Houston NFL had to choose from: Apollos, Bobcats, Stallions, Texans, and Wildcatters
I seem to recall that "Toros" was in the running? Maybe I'm wrong.

What do you propose for NRG? Build another stadium? Tear it down? Renovate?

I personally think it is fine for a football stadium... I do wish the roof would be open for more games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston