Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 12:50 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I seem to recall that "Toros" was in the running? Maybe I'm wrong.

What do you propose for NRG? Build another stadium? Tear it down? Renovate?

I personally think it is fine for a football stadium... I do wish the roof would be open for more games.
It didn't make the final cut which is that list I had. I think Toros would have been a better name than Texans though.

For NRG, I think it's unfortunate it was built during the time period it was. In my perfect world, the former Astroworld site would become the spaceship stadium for the Houston Apollos. The Georgia Dome had a relatively short life, so perhaps if Houston builds a better stadium, it can host more events. I know it was awarded the World Cup recently, but I feel that was just barely. The city would have been a no-brainer choice if the stadium was at AT&T or Benz level.

They won't open the roof during more games due to the shading issue on fans. Basically only night games at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 01:14 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
I never said I liked or disliked the comets as a name. However, unless I’m mistaken, the reason for the Comets and colors name was to resonate with the Rockets. Same as the Dynamo and Dash. Same colors and theme.

Again… Astros, Rockets and Aeros were all born around the same time as either the space race or the moon landing. Those names were established at a time that the legacy can be built. No it doesn’t make sense for a team in the 2000s to do the same thing. I understand the space theme “is Houston” and but the Astros and Rockets fill that void. No need for a clean slate. Were the NHL to come, the Aeros already have a history as a name so that would be different. It’s a good thing that the Dynamo and Dash didn’t go that route. Same for the Texans. No I don’t love the Texans as a name but in the least they got the avoiding another space theme checked. Something like Roughnecks (ala XFL) would’ve been better than both.

and regardless of the Comets sharing theme with the Rockets, they’re a dynasty so the image appears well in peoples heads. The Texans doesn’t. If the Texans had a dynasty, the image would be entirely different.

In all honesty, the Patriots sound like a horrible name from scratch but given their greatness, the image covers that fact. The same would happen to the Texans if the roles switched. The problem with the Texans is the history not the name

Old 08-24-2022, 01:58 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
??? Dude I’m guessing you’re talking about the one that was demolished years ago. ATT is way nicer than NRG. I like the way that area is developed along with the baseball stadium.

https://youtu.be/B08kv3Al8QI
AT&T stadium is nicer but that area is pretty much a suburbia parking lot barren land outside of Texas Live and Lowes. Now 5 years from now I'm going to assume it's going to be much more impressive but as of now it's meh. I went to the stadium to see my HS play in the state finals and after the game I had to literally drive into Dallas just to celebrate with my classmates. NRG right now wins as far as location. Yeah the immediate location is not desirable at all but it's still in the loop and not to far from the best Houston has to offer. There's nothing in Arlington to write home about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Nah see Yankee is far more universal tham Texan because Yankee referred to anyone from the United States, not just New York. An equivalent name to Texan for a New York team is simply New Yorker.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the name. Apollos is more regional and is a synonym for destoryer. That would have worked well for an NFL team.

The Texans existed long before Bill OBrien. The reason they really started getting a bad name was the inmate running the asylum comment Bob McNair made. Then it was players constantly being given the runaround on contracts, then it was Easterby running things like a church service, etc. The DeAndrew trade was the icing on top. The Texans were a laughing stock long before that, long before wearing high school letterman jackets to an nfl playoff game (and losing badly), long before not making the Manning trade and sticking with Schaub, long beforethe bad draft misses, etc.
Yankees are universal because of the legacy not because of the name. It's the same reason why the Mets are not as much of a household as name as the Yankees. Yankees have had some of the best baseball players of all-time. The most championships out of any baseball team in the league. It's an old franchise.

This is an apple to orange comparison. Even if Houston were to change it's name it wouldn't matter. Texas is and always will be Cowboys country. Houston Texans was the last franchise to be added to the league. I'm older than the Texans franchise so why would I root for a team I have no attachment to since childhood? Texans also hasn't produced a winning culture. Houston could be called the Houston Wobble Rats. If the Houston Wobble Rats won 3 Super Bowls in a row than you would have a fanbase that expands far beyond Houston.

I saw you brought up Comets and the Aeros. Nobody knows who Aeros are outside of Houston and the Comets are nowhere near as popular of a franchise as the Texans. Rockets and Astros are more popular because they're older and because they've actually won Finals and World Series in our lifetime.

Winning trumps all and Texans don't have a winning nor a storied culture. Houston was better off keeping the Oilers.

Btw, The Apollos is a horrible name. All those names mentioned were horrible IMO.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:38 PM

679 posts, read 275,501 times
Funny thing. I could not recall ever hearing of Texans fans complaining about the sun when the roof is open. I have a good memory, but it's not perfect. I might have forgotten about such complaints. So I did a quick google search and I found there have indeed been some football fans who complained about the sun hitting them when the stadium roof was open and the team management responded by opening the roof less often. It was the roof of AT&T Stadium in Arlington and it was Cowboys fans. (FWIW, I didn't find anything about Texans fans making similar complaints; items do come up in the Google search regarding the Texans not opening the roof; they all come down to crowd noise, and many of the items mention fans complaining about the roof NOT being open.)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HnydI4qXVVULOm

Old 08-24-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:

https://bookies.com/nfl/picks/ranking-nfl-stadiums-pregame-experience

There are several other links I could have used too. And lol at the false claims you say I'm making. I don't have anything against NRG, I just think some Texans fans are stuck in 2003 thinking it is still one of the top tier NFL stadiums. Several other teams now have better stadiums and better neighborhoods around the stadium.
Now you post a random ranking of Pre-Game Experiences around NFL Stadiums. It had nothing to do with the stadiums themselves. Did you even look at the article before posting the link? And, even if it was on topic, Internet click-bait rankings such as this are worth about as much as the paper they are not printed on.

And FWIW, contrary to your implications, I do not believe and never suggested that NRG was or is the best stadium, or anything at all. I am completely agnostic, but curious. Again, I entered this conversation sincerely asking what AT&T Stadium and State Farm Stadium have that NRG doesn't, that makes them so superior that NRG does not touch them. One would think that one who had made that very claim wouldn't find it so difficult to come up with at least an item or two they could point to (and I mean real, factual items, not something made up like their alleged ability to roll in alternative playing surfaces LOL).

Last edited by oil capital; 08-24-2022 at 03:03 PM..

Old 08-24-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabonem View Post
i. . . So perhaps if houston builds a better stadium, it can host more events. I know it was awarded the world cup recently, but i feel that was just barely. The city would have been a no-brainer choice if the stadium was at at&t or benz level.

i know it was awarded the 2004 super bowl, but...
I know it was awarded the 2011 final four, but...
I know it was awarded the 2016 final four, but ...
I know it was awarded the 2017 super bowl, but ...
I know it was awarded the 2023 final four, but ...

they (the cowboys) won't open the at&t stadium roof during more games due to the shading issue on fans. Basically only night games at this point.

fify

Old 08-24-2022, 03:16 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yankees are universal because of the legacy not because of the name. It's the same reason why the Mets are not as much of a household as name as the Yankees. Yankees have had some of the best baseball players of all-time. The most championships out of any baseball team in the league. It's an old franchise.

This is an apple to orange comparison. Even if Houston were to change it's name it wouldn't matter. Texas is and always will be Cowboys country. Houston Texans was the last franchise to be added to the league. I'm older than the Texans franchise so why would I root for a team I have no attachment to since childhood? Texans also hasn't produced a winning culture. Houston could be called the Houston Wobble Rats. If the Houston Wobble Rats won 3 Super Bowls in a row than you would have a fanbase that expands far beyond Houston.
Yankees was brought up because PS said the name is a regional one, but Yankee is not a regional name. That was my only point with them.

Quote:
I saw you brought up Comets and the Aeros. Nobody knows who Aeros are outside of Houston and the Comets are nowhere near as popular of a franchise as the Texans. Rockets and Astros are more popular because they're older and because they've actually won Finals and World Series in our lifetime.
But why did I bring up the Comets and Aeros? Because of the notion that Houston already had two space theme named pro sports teams, and they had those name within a couple years of the height of the space race. It was said a name like Apollos would be too much because it would be the third space related team.

The only reason why no one knows about the Comets or Aeros is because of the sport the teams were in, not because of the name. But the Comets were definitely know at the height of their popularity.

Quote:
Winning trumps all and Texans don't have a winning nor a storied culture. Houston was better off keeping the Oilers.
Yes it does and even when the Texans had their eras of winning they looked like a goofy franchise. They will forever be a goofy franchise with a name like Texans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
Funny thing. I could not recall ever hearing of Texans fans complaining about the sun when the roof is open. I have a good memory, but it's not perfect. I might have forgotten about such complaints. So I did a quick google search and I found there have indeed been some football fans who complained about the sun hitting them when the stadium roof was open and the team management responded by opening the roof less often. It was the roof of AT&T Stadium in Arlington and it was Cowboys fans. (FWIW, I didn't find anything about Texans fans making similar complaints; items do come up in the Google search regarding the Texans not opening the roof; they all come down to crowd noise, and many of the items mention fans complaining about the roof NOT being open.)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HnydI4qXVVULOm
Well you must not have been on Texans-fans related sites when the team started playing .500 ball around 2008 and more fans were in the stadium. What happened also was after Ike when the stadium roof remained opened permanently all year, fans really grew to dislike the way the sun was positioned on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
Now you post a random ranking of Pre-Game Experiences around NFL Stadiums. It had nothing to do with the stadiums themselves. Did you even look at the article before posting the link? And, even if it was on topic, Internet click-bait rankings such as this are worth about as much as the paper they are not printed on.

And FWIW, contrary to your implications, I do not believe and never suggested that NRG was or is the best stadium, or anything at all. I am completely agnostic, but curious. Again, I entered this conversation sincerely asking what AT&T Stadium and State Farm Stadium have that NRG doesn't, that makes them so superior that NRG does not touch them. One would think that one who had made that very claim wouldn't find it so difficult to come up with at least an item or two they could point to (and I mean real, factual items, not something made up like their alleged ability to roll in alternative playing surfaces LOL).
LOL the link is not random just because you disagree. I even said there were several other links I could have used. Pre-Game experience and what is around the stadium is definitely a part of the gameday experience. As for the stadiums themselves, all I said was NRG was the last of the old era (started construction a couple months into 00), while AT&T and State Farm were the beginning of the new era. What is not factual about that? IMO they are better designed stadiums than NRG.

I'd rather switch AT&T for NRG if that was an option for the Texans and we could transport stadiums. It's a nicer experience from what I've seen.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:33 AM

65 posts, read 58,850 times
I know this is about the Texans, but the Astros have plans for a mixed used district that could be very interesting. I don't think it'll be quite up to the Star in terms of size but could serve as inspiration for the Texans one day.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2021/11/0...ment-district/

Old 08-26-2022, 06:16 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
Quote:

Yes it does and even when the Texans had their eras of winning they looked like a goofy franchise. They will forever be a goofy franchise with a name like Texans.

Texans era of winnings? Really? Texans hasn't even made it to an AFC championship so yeah they've had some good runs but in order to garner national and respectable attention at some point you're gonna have to win a SB.

Nobody cares about a name. Most franchise names are silly. I can assure you the Texans name is not the reason they don't have a bigger fanbase. Which btw, you would think Houston Texans was the least valuable according to you but the reality is Texans franchise is not even close to being the laughing stock of a franchise in the league. You have much older franchises that are less popular nationally than the Texans.

Bottom line, WINNING takes care of all of that. And I mean winning big. Texans haven't done that yet so they'll never gain young fans who are becoming NFL fans and Fairweather fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmcclel View Post
I know this is about the Texans, but the Astros have plans for a mixed used district that could be very interesting. I don't think it'll be quite up to the Star in terms of size but could serve as inspiration for the Texans one day.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2021/11/0...ment-district/
First of all, I don't know if they'll build an entertainment district. It was supposed to start in 2022 and we're almost halfway finish with this year. I have heard no other plans on this project except for one article.

With that said, if they actually do build this entertainment district and follow the blueprint of The Battery in Atlanta or Ballpark Village in St.Louis or Wrigleyville in Chicago than it'll definitely be better than the Star imo for a couple of reasons.

1) I've been to The Battery in Atlanta, and you can't beat the combination of retail/restaurants/residential/ entertainment and an actual live game all in one. The Star is still simply a practice facility so you can't get that same vibrancy. If they do move forward with this entertainment district it will eclipse that based off the energy of being in close proximity to a live baseball game.

2) LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. The Star is located in the middle of the suburbs. Minute Maid entertainment district is right in downtown. You can't beat location. I hate to sound insensitive but this is a reality. If they do decided to build an entertainment district, they're gonna have to fix the homeless situation under the freeway. Because I don't see them building an entertainment district and not realizing the potential that'll have in EADO. Imagine enjoying a night out at Minute Maid entertainment district and than walking over to Eado. Well who wants to do that when you have to walk through homeless camps? Sounds insensitive I know but if they want any success and take full advantage of that location they're gonna have to clean that area up. Having it in that location has more potential and promise than the Star.

At the end of the day Star is clearly the best practice faciality I've ever seen in the nation. But wouldn't it have been nicer if they put those amenities next to the actual AT&T Stadium and the new Rangers ballpark? It just made more sense to put it there with the actual games going.

Old 08-26-2022, 07:55 AM

15,440 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

2) LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. The Star is located in the middle of the suburbs. Minute Maid entertainment district is right in downtown. You can't beat location. I hate to sound insensitive but this is a reality. If they do decided to build an entertainment district, they're gonna have to fix the homeless situation under the freeway. Because I don't see them building an entertainment district and not realizing the potential that'll have in EADO. Imagine enjoying a night out at Minute Maid entertainment district and than walking over to Eado. Well who wants to do that when you have to walk through homeless camps? Sounds insensitive I know but if they want any success and take full advantage of that location they're gonna have to clean that area up. Having it in that location has more potential and promise than the Star.

At the end of the day Star is clearly the best practice faciality I've ever seen in the nation. But wouldn't it have been nicer if they put those amenities next to the actual AT&T Stadium and the new Rangers ballpark? It just made more sense to put it there with the actual games going.
The homeless situation will be fixed when the freeway is buried and the elevated portion disappears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston