Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 04:37 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
But of course you know very well that is not all you said. Far from it. When I asked you what Glendale's and Arlington's stadiums have that NRG Stadium lacks, you told us that "One easy one is they can rotate different fields inside the stadium for different playing surfaces, unlike the terrible sod job done at NRG that resulted in one of the higher injury rates in the NFL. The Cowboys and Cardinals stadiums each can rotate between 2-3 fields IIRC. They also have more space inside. Plenty of other things too."

The capability to rotate different fields is false for both Cowboys and Cardinals Stadiums and you conveniently ignore the fact that NRG hasn't used the original sod for 7 years. Your claim that they have more space inside is also false with regard to the Cardinals stadium. "By Plenty of other things too", I guess you meant plenty more made-up things.

Then you told us that half the stadium bakes in the sun because of the way they positioned the stadium. Interestingly, they DO have that problem at the supposedly vastly superior AT&T Stadium, the team has acknowledged they have the problem and the team has acknowledged that is why they don't open their roof, and most interesting of all, their stadium is positioned east-west while NRG is positioned north-south... Go figure. (In addition to the sun baking their fans, AT&T Stadium also has a video/scoreboard that interferes with the game and sun glaring through the west end-zone glass, also interfering with the games.)

Then you told us NRG was awarded the 2017 Super Bowl as part of the deal to build NRG Stadium. Also false.

I'm still interested in what features NRG lacks that State Farm Stadium and AT&T Stadium have (or any of the many other stadiums that NRG "does not touch"). If anyone knows of any, I'm genuinely interested.
?? Says on their website the field is retractable, so they can still use the inside of the stadium with the field being intact. Do you think nrg wishes it had a retractable field feature? https://www.statefarmstadium.com/stadium-info/about

Youre going to argue over semantics on that but you get what I was saying when I said rotate fields.

As for nrg hosting two that was basically the deal. It got the first automatically for being a new stadium and based on how that went it would be awarded a second. This was basically cemented the day after the 2004 bowl and was just a matter of when.

If you think NRG is better than those two stadiums that is fine. I personally think it isnt a top 5 or top 10 nfl venue at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 06:57 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Or… the more realistic thing, the Texans suck, almost always do and that’s why people see that they see them as a team that sucks
I don't think you're ever going to have a bunch of people from neutral states (say Mississippi or Oregon) becoming Texans fans regardless of how good they are.

Yes, them sucking exacerbates it for sure. But even if they were good I don't ever see them having a significant non-Texas fan base.

And the name absolutely exacerbates that. Now, I personally don't care whether anyone outside of Texas likes the Texans or not. But if I were a marketing exec on Kirby I'd have a lot to say about the name.

Old 08-26-2022, 07:47 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I don't think you're ever going to have a bunch of people from neutral states (say Mississippi or Oregon) becoming Texans fans regardless of how good they are.

Yes, them sucking exacerbates it for sure. But even if they were good I don't ever see them having a significant non-Texas fan base.

And the name absolutely exacerbates that. Now, I personally don't care whether anyone outside of Texas likes the Texans or not. But if I were a marketing exec on Kirby I'd have a lot to say about the name.
If they had a Patriots like run they would have a lot more than just regional fans. For that to happen, there would have to be a Brady or Patrick Mahomes. That alone would grant fans tjwy are with the team for the player.

The idea that the name holds back a national fan base is laughable. The Patriots and their bad name are proof of that. Yes, you have the occasional anti Boston people that call them a racist franchise and what not but all in all, their success has brought them one of the largest if not the largest fanbase in the NFL.

all I have to say is that it shows that you guys have yet to be fans of a successful football team. If you did, these crazy ideas of the Texans name holding the team back wouldn’t exist.

Now liking or disliking the name, that’s a different story. The name being a good name or bad, that’s an opinion and you can’t change each others opinions. But the idea that it holds or even contributes to creating a fanbase outside of Texas is laughable and down right ridiculous. The lack of fans outside of Texas is 100% contributed to sucking and 0% contributed to the name.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 08-26-2022 at 08:00 PM..

Old 08-27-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
If they had a Patriots like run they would have a lot more than just regional fans. For that to happen, there would have to be a Brady or Patrick Mahomes. That alone would grant fans tjwy are with the team for the player.

The idea that the name holds back a national fan base is laughable. The Patriots and their bad name are proof of that. Yes, you have the occasional anti Boston people that call them a racist franchise and what not but all in all, their success has brought them one of the largest if not the largest fanbase in the NFL.

all I have to say is that it shows that you guys have yet to be fans of a successful football team. If you did, these crazy ideas of the Texans name holding the team back wouldn’t exist.

Now liking or disliking the name, that’s a different story. The name being a good name or bad, that’s an opinion and you can’t change each others opinions. But the idea that it holds or even contributes to creating a fanbase outside of Texas is laughable and down right ridiculous. The lack of fans outside of Texas is 100% contributed to sucking and 0% contributed to the name.
Patriots isn't a regional name by any means. I get the whole Massachusetts/early America/Patrick Henry vibe Patriots puts out, but that name literally describes patriotic people from anywhere in the country. It's apples and oranges compared to Texans, which literally describes people from one state, and a very unique and polarizing one at that.

If that remains the name they'll never be successful with fans outside of Texas no matter what they do.

Old 08-27-2022, 04:18 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Patriots isn't a regional name by any means. I get the whole Massachusetts/early America/Patrick Henry vibe Patriots puts out, but that name literally describes patriotic people from anywhere in the country. It's apples and oranges compared to Texans, which literally describes people from one state, and a very unique and polarizing one at that.

If that remains the name they'll never be successful with fans outside of Texas no matter what they do.
I didn’t say regional, I said terrible. When someone becomes a fan of a team they don’t think “we’ll I wanted to root for that team, but the name is restricted to a state that I’m not in so never mind”. Maybe you think they way but 99% of people don’t. For the fans that do have that mentality, they’d only be supporting local teams/closest team anyway. If the Texans had a Patriots like run that sustained fkr 20 years or so, they’d have one of the nations largest fanbases.

Old 08-29-2022, 11:48 AM

679 posts, read 273,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
?? Says on their website the field is retractable, so they can still use the inside of the stadium with the field being intact. Do you think nrg wishes it had a retractable field feature? https://www.statefarmstadium.com/stadium-info/about

Youre going to argue over semantics on that but you get what I was saying when I said rotate fields.

As for nrg hosting two that was basically the deal. It got the first automatically for being a new stadium and based on how that went it would be awarded a second. This was basically cemented the day after the 2004 bowl and was just a matter of when.

If you think NRG is better than those two stadiums that is fine. I personally think it isnt a top 5 or top 10 nfl venue at this point.
I never suggested the field at State Farm was not retractable. I am well aware of it and it looks very cool. You do realize the field at NRG can also be removed (and is regularly removed) so that other surfaces can be used inside the stadium (FWIW, exactly the way it is done in AT&T stadium, contrary to your earlier claim). I actually doubt NRG wishes it had a retractable field, given that (a), NRG's field is removable and (b) I doubt they'd want to dedicate all that exterior space to the retractable field. Interestingly, 8 NFL stadiums have been built since State Farm and only one has chosen to install a retractable field.

No, you are just making up the idea that NRG was guaranteed a second Super Bowl, as you have made up so much of what you've claimed in this back and forth. A second Super Bowl was no more guaranteed for NRG than for the supposedly "far better" AT&T Stadium (which, just to remind you, is still waiting for its second Super Bowl. FWIW, NRG Stadium is preparing to host its third NCAA Final Four, while AT&T is till waiting for its second...). (But it is kind of amusing you are now saying NRG got its second Super Bowl because it performed so well with its first. Kinda stepping on your story line.)

I have never said I think NRG is a better stadium. You are the only one who has made claims about the quality of NRG. I've merely asked you to give some example why State Farm and AT&T are so much better that NRG doesn't touch them. I'm genuinely curious. And apparently will remain curious, because you've given me nothing and seem incapable of giving any information. (FWIW, I don't know I'd put NRG in the Top 5 any more either, maybe not even top 10. I don't know other stadiums well enough to know. But considering NRG is now the 11th newest stadium in the NFL not being in the Top 5 or even Top 10 stadiums, would not be much of an insult and quite a different thing from being so inferior as to not be able to touch the more recent stadiums, or being far inferior, or only adequate enough.

Last edited by oil capital; 08-29-2022 at 12:49 PM..

Old 08-29-2022, 12:31 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
I never suggested the field at State Farm was not retractable. I am well aware of it and it looks very cool. You do realize the field at NRG can also be removed (and is regularly removed) so that other surfaces can be used inside the stadium (FWIW, exactly the way it is done in AT&T stadium, contrary to your earlier claim). I actually doubt NRG wishes it had a retractable field, given that (a), NRG's field is removable and (b) I doubt they'd want to dedicate all that exterior space to the retractable field. Interestingly, 8 NFL stadiums have been built since State Farm and not one has chosen to install a retractable field.

No, you are just making up the idea that NRG was guaranteed a second Super Bowl, as you have made up so much of what you've claimed in this back and forth. A second Super Bowl was no more guaranteed for NRG than for the supposedly "far better" AT&T Stadium (which, just to remind you, is still waiting for its second Super Bowl. FWIW, NRG Stadium is preparing to host its third NCAA Final Four, while AT&T is till waiting for its second...). (But it is kind of amusing you are now saying NRG got its second Super Bowl because it performed so well with its first. Kinda stepping on your story line.)

I have never said I think NRG is a better stadium. You are the only one who has made claims about the quality of NRG. I've merely asked you to give some example why State Farm and AT&T are so much better that NRG doesn't touch them. I'm genuinely curious. And apparently will remain curious, because you've given me nothing and seem incapable of giving any information. (FWIW, I don't know I'd put NRG in the Top 5 any more either, maybe not even top 10. I don't know other stadiums well enough to know. But considering NRG is now the 11th newest stadium in the NFL not being in the Top 5 or even Top 10 stadiums, would not be much of an insult and quite a different thing from being so inferior as to not be able to touch the more recent stadiums, or being far inferior, or only adequate enough.
Man you are really taking this stadium thing to heart. And yeah, I guess you'll never know why I like AT&T and State Farm over NRG.

Houston hosting events has less to do with the stadium, and more to do with the centralization of facilities. Like I said already, Houston would host more if AT&T was here instead of NRG. Besides, there are events AT&T has continued to hold that NRG does not have, like CFB Championship, Conference Championships, more prominent CFB kickoff weekend games, etc.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:37 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,021,493 times
If I remember correctly the field in Phoenix can be removed in its entirety, which makes a huge difference since the field is seamless. Whereas the field at NRG was removed in squares and had seams which some players tripped on and injured themselves. Cowboys stadium never had natural turf for football games...maybe they did something for soccer but the Cowboys have always played on artificial turf.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:52 PM

679 posts, read 273,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
If I remember correctly the field in Phoenix can be removed in its entirety, which makes a huge difference since the field is seamless. Whereas the field at NRG was removed in squares and had seams which some players tripped on and injured themselves. Cowboys stadium never had natural turf for football games...maybe they did something for soccer but the Cowboys have always played on artificial turf.
You are correct on all points. The pallet system they tried at NRG just didn't work out. So now (since 2015), NRG has the same artificial turf that is used at AT&T and SoFi, and is easily removed so other surfaces can be used in the stadium.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I didn’t say regional, I said terrible. When someone becomes a fan of a team they don’t think “we’ll I wanted to root for that team, but the name is restricted to a state that I’m not in so never mind”. Maybe you think they way but 99% of people don’t. For the fans that do have that mentality, they’d only be supporting local teams/closest team anyway. If the Texans had a Patriots like run that sustained fkr 20 years or so, they’d have one of the nations largest fanbases.
100% disagree. The "Commanders" (I hate that name too) have one of the nation's largest fanbases and haven't been relevant since the 80s. The same with the Cowboys but the 90s. Those are national brands because they don't limit themselves regionally. As a matter of fact, the Texans are the *ONLY* brand in any of the three major sports that have a regional nickname. You could maybe throw the Philadelphia Phillies in there but they prove my point - they're not popular outside of the Philly area. I know the NHL has the Montreal Canadiens - are they popular in Canada outside of Quebec?

This may be hard for non-Texans to fathom, but there are a lot of people outside of the state who are vehemently anti-Texas. Even our big national college brands like UT and A&M don't have as large of an out-of-state contingent as schools like UCLA, Michigan, Ohio St. etc. They are big because they are huge schools but even still large amounts of their support come from within the state relative to some of those other schools. Texas and Texans as a brand will always do well inside Texas, outside of the state, it really depends - and often it will be a weakness.

I'm pretty confident that even had the Texans won multiple Super Bowls, they still wouldn't be very popular outside of the state, primarily because of the name. People identify with teams for a variety of reasons. There's no hook for people outside of Texas to identify with the Texans.

In fact, i'm not sure I've EVER in my life met a Texans fan who was not from or had some close association with Houston or Texas (or Mexico, they seem to be fairly popular there too). I can't think of a single encounter otherwise. Not even during their "good" years. Have you? Has anyone in fact? Ever run into a Texans fan from the east coast or west coast or Midwest that didn't originally have some tie to this area?

Texans fans outside of Texas are like the Yeti. There's no evidence that winning would create a bunch of new Texans fans so the owners should just take the L and start over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston