Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:11 PM

128 posts, read 457,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
ahhhh the beauty of access/feeder roads. They make uh life uh so uhhh grand and uhh stuff. Makes it so beautiful and uh stuff. Yeah
I agreed. These might be some of the biggest causes of the ugliness along the freeways. A lot of cities without feeder roads can hide their nasty furniture stores and and pawn shops away from the view of freeway users.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 06:04 PM

342 posts, read 685,684 times
either way it goes houston look better than most cities in america, the skyline is beautiful, ive been to alot of cities and it could be worse. i just think you just having a bad experience out here, come on there 2plus million people here and still growing, so it cant be that bad, to me i think houston is original. i mean out of 100 people you always have one cry baby that just cant be happy, thats just finding a reason to hate something when it could be worst and everyone else is enjoying it.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Buck View Post
EE, do you have any suggestions? Again, you won't get very far complaining, so I would love to hear any suggestions you have and plans you have for moving in that direction. Let's be proactive!
Well its been discussed off and on in this forum that one clear improvement that Houston needs is a more restrictive zoning attitude in city hall. But appearantly this idea keeps getting turned down. I believe that the attitude of most council members is too keep everything the way it is.

Its surprising to see that most people just prefer to move further out; and developers just build up a piece of land, then after about 8 or 9 years, move even further out and build another one.

A huge step that this city needs to make is to severely limit the power that many developers have, it is amazing how they just build a new strip-mall extravaganza anywhere they please, and believe it or not, people actually come out to this place to see what its all about, "oh wow hunny look a new park/towncenter/stripmall/whatchamacallit, lets plan our weekend around going to see it"

But I digress; these developers need to seriously be held in check by the city.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 AM

254 posts, read 464,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Well its been discussed off and on in this forum that one clear improvement that Houston needs is a more restrictive zoning attitude in city hall. But appearantly this idea keeps getting turned down. I believe that the attitude of most council members is too keep everything the way it is.

Its surprising to see that most people just prefer to move further out; and developers just build up a piece of land, then after about 8 or 9 years, move even further out and build another one.

A huge step that this city needs to make is to severely limit the power that many developers have, it is amazing how they just build a new strip-mall extravaganza anywhere they please, and believe it or not, people actually come out to this place to see what its all about, "oh wow hunny look a new park/towncenter/stripmall/whatchamacallit, lets plan our weekend around going to see it"

But I digress; these developers need to seriously be held in check by the city.

OK! NOW you're talkin EE! What are some ideas you have about rallying people around this purpose? Actually, are there any groups out there who are lobbying for these issues right now? If so, put them on the forum so we can join and help make a difference. If not, then what are the next steps you can take?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
There's an idea! The Sugar Landing of Houston.

Please don't Sugarland my area, I really like it the way it is. Thank You

Old 05-06-2009, 10:28 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Erm, actually, the inner loop is filling in and people are coming back to the city. What year is it in your world, 1990? 2009 here. Maybe I'm living too fast.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Erm, actually, the inner loop is filling in and people are coming back to the city. What year is it in your world, 1990? 2009 here. Maybe I'm living too fast.

I'm with Jfre on this and I'm not even inside THE loop. The last few houses that have sold in my subdivision have been people moving back in from the MPCs with pre-teen kids.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:50 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
There's an idea! The Sugar Landing of Houston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Please don't Sugarland my area, I really like it the way it is. Thank You
Um, I think we know by now.

Anyway, some of Houston could stand to take some pointers from Sugar Land. Just compare the drive on the Hwy 59 section in Sugar Land to most of I-45 through Houston. Try and tell me I-45 is attractive... you're kidding yourself.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:56 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
I -45 is probably the ugliest stretch of a freeway in America (except for up by The Woodlands area). What is the citys problem with this freeway? Why won't they take better care of its appearance?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,515 times
Quote:
Why is houston so UGLY?!??! I dont mean to hate ok just asking!?

If you've ever ridden shotgun in a car going down 45, you know exactly what I am talking about. There is so much junk, dilapidated apartment complexes, strip clubs, run down car dealerships, old strip malls etc.

Heck even down 59 there are strip clubs that have big giant COLORADO sign... how did they get away with that!?!?

Is there any decency within the city to have these places cleaned up?
Are people so "LAID BACK" that they would rather drive by these atrocities than doe something about it!?!?
Or is this some kind of setting that people in this city have come to accept?
Houston is actually a great city. I actually lived in Kingwood for a few years. Some things you should know. Most of the really bad neighborhoods are supposed to be cleaned if either by the city of by adoption. However in the last few years our city was ravaged by so many environmental elements their deemed dangerous/ hazardous to enter, making the city responsible, yet we do not have the resources to pay for additional manpower. So yes you will have to look at this until our economy is healthier. And hurricane season is right around the corner so maybe just maybe we will not get hit this year again.
Missing my Texas in Arizona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston