Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,606,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
That's not true because if you didn't care you wouldn't have accused me of speaking for others....

For the most part....I was merely restating what I have heard time and time again.....
I think actually what you're doing is letting others speak for you and you're just kind of going "yeah, what they said."

Where all in the city have you been anyway? What have you seen?

I'm not really intending to be belligerent here; it's an honest question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 11:54 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,839,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I think actually what you're doing is letting others speak for you and you're just kind of going "yeah, what they said."
that's not at all what I'm doing because I've said before that they're opinions are not necessarily mine. What I am saying is that I have heard complaints from others of Houston's supposed ugliness and that they have a legitimate beef.

Quote:
Where all in the city have you been anyway? What have you seen?
Specifically, I have been to the Woodlands, Kingwood, the entire stretch of FM 1960, Sugar Land/Missouri City area, Westchase, Katy, the Galleria (my favorite part), downtown and took Fannin to the Medical Center.

Quote:
I'm not really intending to be belligerent here; it's an honest question.
Me neither but it really frustrates me that you guys don't understand what I'm trying to say (and please don't say you do understand because if you did we wouldn't be having this conversation)

Old 05-01-2009, 02:17 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,035,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What kind of trees?
Pine trees on I-45 North, palm trees on I-45 South.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
And that's what it all comes down to. Some people actually like the flatness. They might think it's cool to look outside in a thunderstorm and watch lightning from miles away. Can't do that where there's hills - you don't always see as far.
Yeah, I love watching those summer afternoon thunder clouds roll in from the Gulf!!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:

I think this would look better for 45.

It's still a freeway though. Show me a freeway that's pretty.
North Central Expressway in Dallas is one of the prettier freeways I've seen. The US 59 trench is kinda like a wanna be NCE lol.

Do you know what kinda vine they used along those walls on 59?

Old 05-01-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
This is a city of 5 million people
6 million now, heck it was at 5.5 million a few years ago.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:14 AM

214 posts, read 726,055 times
lol.

Yall have no idea what ugly is until you have lived in Detroit.

Jeesh. You cant expect a metro with 6 million people to be pretty all over.

Get over it.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:14 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikU19 View Post
lol.

Yall have no idea what ugly is until you have lived in Detroit.

Jeesh. You cant expect a metro with 6 million people to be pretty all over.

Get over it.
who said it had to be pretty all over... Just asking for a notch above dilapidation and catastrophe.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:48 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,861,818 times
Quote:
Specifically, I have been to the Woodlands, Kingwood, the entire stretch of FM 1960, Sugar Land/Missouri City area, Westchase, Katy, the Galleria (my favorite part), downtown and took Fannin to the Medical Center.
So what did you think of these specific areas as far as how they looked? Would you be able to go back to the people who are telling you Houston is ugly, and tell them most of these areas are not ugly? (with the exception of I-45 and 1960 in my opinion)

Old 05-01-2009, 12:33 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,494,803 times
Quote:
If you live in or around the loop you will almost never use the freeways except to leave town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
It dosen't just look ugly from the freeway hah You think once you exit it's over? ummm, absolutely not.
Perhaps not where you live, but where I live, yes. My neighborhood is very attractive. And, it's about a mile from the freeway. But, as jfre81 pointed out, I don't need to use the freeways to get around. I often avoid them.

Quote:
Many view it as the worst a city could get.
So what? Let them stay away. Jfre81, you shouldn't have posted the positive photos. You should have let the people MrMcCoySays wrote about to continue to believe what they want to believe. We don't want the simple-minded to come to our city in droves.

Quote:
Beautiful cities like Charlotte aren't touristy. but the attractiveness of a city has other bonuses other than just attracting visitors. The popularity and desirability of a city has the potential of bringing more businesses, jobs, cultures, and other useful and interesting resources into town
Houston seems to be having a pretty difficult time attracting business:
TOP METROS OF 2008 -- Site Selection magazine, March 2009

Er...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston