Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 03:46 PM

530 posts, read 589,823 times

Advertisements

I am very pleased to see this fantastic possibility for future development downtown. It certainly makes sense and needs to happen and there are many great opportunities. However, I would take issue with the assertion that KineticPark is nearly full. Since opening up the upper level to businesses that are not required to be high-tech, there is still large chunks of undeveloped lots on the upper level that need to be filled. The Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott is under construction now but there is still a lot of space up there that needs to be developed. I would love to see an upscale strip-style retail center/plaza go in up there possibly beside the pediatric dental clinic on the remaining portion of the land in the center of the upper level. This retail center could have boutiques, eating establishments, etc. that could attract a lot of potential customers from the hotels and interstate. I would also like to see efforts being put behind connecting the two levels such that people could walk between the levels to further facilitate unity between the levels and commerce. There is tons of potential for KineticPark and for whatever reasons, I feel that some efforts are being diverted from developing it to full capacity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 04:15 PM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
I know once the Taco Bell goes in, the bottom level will be completely full. Once the hotel goes in on the top, I believe they only have maybe 2-3 more lots depending on how they divide it. Even though not completely full, never hurts to look toward the future. Plus, there may be companies willing to develop a new building downtown that they wouldn't in Kinetic Park.

In all honesty though, I'm not sure why Kinetic Park was even connected to the re-development of lots downtown the way that they were in the article. They are very different settings and one doesn't really rely on the other. The lots downtown need to be redeveloped regardless of whether Kinetic Park is full or not and vice versa.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:20 PM

I completely agree that the two should not be linked because they are so different and each represent different types of potential economic developments. It is true that after Taco Bell, the lower level will be full. The upper level still has several sizeable lots to be developed and according to Tom Bell, there is still land to be excavated and developed adjacent to KineticPark. I'm not quite sure what went wrong with the overall development of KineticPark but it just seems that it has occurred at a snails-pace given its enormous potential being located immediately off I-64. I know that the upper level was initially reserved for high-tech businesses, etc. and recently those have been lifted and hopefully that will help fully develop the upper level quickly. Even the rate of the lower level has been anemic. It is just now (presumably with Taco Bell and the completion of the gymnastics/dance facility) reaching full capacity this many years later. It just seems to me that something has went wrong along the way either with the planning or management on the part of HMDA/HADCO.

Regardless, it is great news for the central business district and future development there and is something that needed to happen. I look forward to hopefully seeing those lots developed sooner rather than later.

Additionally, the article stated that finance director Mark Bates will be discussing some possible infrastructure projects. I wonder what these might be?

Old 04-29-2015, 07:51 PM

941 posts, read 1,356,288 times
I believe that when Kinetic Park is mentioned, they are relating to the fact that it is taking business and development away from downtown. Imagine what just one of those hotels would have done if it were downtown. Kinetic Park's location and visibility from the interstate makes it more attractive. I also think that they have some sort of economic incentive for developers to choose Kinetic Park over downtown. They couldn't get any business there for the longest time, so they resorted to getting whatever they could get.

Fill it up and let's move on to what's more important and more exciting: Downtown.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:54 AM

45 posts, read 75,319 times
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
As I have noted on these forums before, the problem in Huntington is investment, The people in Huntington hold on to their money like glue and there is very little insight into future investment reward. Someone can put $200.000 into Miller park (which is great) but when they change KineticPark to any type of building development, not ONE company or investor thought that a medical midrise would be worth investing in even though Huntington is alarge regional medical center with three major medical hospitals and numerous clinics. So we get a gym! I mean there is a problem with this, To be honest I think Bob Bell is doing great to get outside investment in for the hotels but I have yet to see development in the manufacturing end since Jerry McDonald left HADCO.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Don’t get me wrong development is happening in the old buildings downtown but when is that ship going to sail? I mean every former business high rise is now being converted to apartments or condos…..where is the building investment?? The banks will not extend money into speculation. (which is what investors do) They probably want 95% leased before giving money to build even a 8 to 10 story building muchless a 15 to 20 story for business. With that money mindset nothing will get built. Building to suit is great, but not realistic in investing in structures. Companies want a place to go NOW not in 3 years while an office tower is being built. I pray that the video that Tim placed on the forums about the direction Huntington is going will be seen by many investors that will take Huntington seriously and invest millions to take advantage of what the city holds since the people there are so short sighted. Who would have thought one Lexington investment company would think about 3 hotels in the city and now maybe a 4th in the west end, which sorely needs something new and near the VA hospital. Even though the money made is going out of state.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
People that have moved away and have been able to come back to Huntington may be a key. They see how the rest of the world works and realize how investment works and have the business ties to maybe get some regional headquarters in Huntington. But let’s face it, when other states are constructing 4 lane roads into undeveloped areas around the cities knowing this will bring growth, Wayne county can’t even get a commitment from the state to widen a small section of road from Prichard to I-64 for heaven’s sake, knowing it would be paid back by investment dollars with the intermodal center being built there.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
The greatest thing I think about Mayor Williams is that he is not waiting on state help from Charleston. The stranglehold that political machine has on our city is unreal. I think the Mayor is the best thing that could ever have happened and thank God it did. The businessmen in the area are starting to work together (though I seem to miss Marshall Reynolds name in all this..hummmm. is he for building Huntington? I use to think so.) and though things are moving slowly they are picking up the pace.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
The future is taking shape,but why are we not hearing about companies coming in to build on Hal Greer,where the old Northcott is??? Because,no one is committing. Our job base must start to get going because only so many businesses can survive on the same number of people, ie, one store closes and one store opens, one restaurant closes another opens. Huntington must show interior growth to get commitment from investors to build and companies to cometo the city. We need some LARGE apartment communities constructed to get people living in the city. A 5 house cul-de-sac off 5th street hill is not going to cut it. We need to capture individuals that are looking for housing here not in Milton or Barboursville.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Anyway my rant is done, but I am excited for where things seem to be moving and maybe Huntington can buck the trend that West Virginia seems to be stuck in for the most part. I hope so
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 05-01-2015, 05:32 AM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Well said RLB.

Here's some other news about the 1100 BAM event.

‘1100 BAM’ offers visioning process for downtown Huntington | Huntington News

Old 05-01-2015, 07:51 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times
Honest question, because I have yet to find an answer. Is BAM an acronym, and if so, what for? It's bugging me more than it should.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:18 AM

I noticed that most of the middle section of Northcott Court is now boarded up. Hopefully, the next phase of demolition will get underway very soon. I really wish that the city would put out some sort of an updated timeline for this project. I know that it was projected to take a few years, but it would be nice for citizens to be kept informed on the progress and plans.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:42 PM

941 posts, read 1,356,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesomstudent View Post
I noticed that most of the middle section of Northcott Court is now boarded up. Hopefully, the next phase of demolition will get underway very soon. I really wish that the city would put out some sort of an updated timeline for this project. I know that it was projected to take a few years, but it would be nice for citizens to be kept informed on the progress and plans.
Yeah I agree. Keep us excited about it. Maybe give us some renderings of the final product so that we don't stay faces see on how slow it's going.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:35 AM

As expected, city council voted last night to sell four downtown parking lots to HMDA for future development. The mayor stated that they would be speaking to investors about development.

Quote:
Huntington City Council has unanimously voted to sell four downtown parking lots to the Huntington Municipal Development Authority.The locations are Fourth Avenue and 8th Street, 8th Street and Sixth Avenue (behind Corps of Engineers), Fourth Avenue and Tenth Street (between the former Glenn's Sporting Goods and Cinema Theater) and Tenth Street and Third Avenue (behind Mack and Daves and next to Red Lobster).

"We intend to put the properties in play and speak to investors," Mayor Steve Williams told council. He reminded council, "They have been intended for development for 40 years."
I really hope that we can see these properties developed relatively quickly. I hope we are not talking about decades down the road for development.

Also, I have not found any reports related to Mark Bates speaking about possible infrastructure developments at the meeting last night as was reported on the agenda for the council meeting last week. Anyone have any information on what he had to say, if anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington