Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 08:15 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
https://www.herald-dispatch.com/busi...5c6f75eb7.html

This project is at Adams Avenue and West 10th Street.

I'm not sure how to phrase this without it sounding like a complaint. We do need to have senior living facilities but it seems like the majority of recent projects, or upcoming projects, are geared toward the senior population. And most likely seniors on fixed incomes. It seems that the city should be promoting more of a housing balance between the demographics. We've seen some development of apartments and condos in the downtown area, but this project, along with the announced plans for the Prichard Building, are for the senior citizen population. Given Huntington's continued population decline, more needs to be done to attract the younger, working population. That's a better approach to help the city reverse the population decline.
The issue is that's what the city's demographics support and what banks are willing to lend for. Senior housing is one of the fastest growing housing types in the country, especially in smaller cities and towns where the population on the whole is greying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 10:39 AM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Here’s the proposed approach to your concern Aeros. They should’ve done this a long time ago. Looks like more proposals are on the way as well.

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news..._medium=social

Old 07-16-2020, 05:35 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times
I like this proposal IF it motivates people to use some of the now open and empty lots created from tearing down the run-down homes over the last few years. Some of those lots could be ideal for new construction of smaller homes.

One question I have about the proposal though, is there a high demand to renovate a one hundred year old home from the younger demographics? Also, even with the incentives, how much would it cost to renovate, and repair, the older homes compared to building new?

From the article: "“Individuals living in urban centers and even in suburban centers by overwhelming majority are seeking to be able to find a place for employment, to be able to live in small towns or rural areas,” Williams said." How does Huntington currently factor into this equation? Outside of the medical sector, what other sectors are growing enough in the area to attract potential citizens to relocate? What additional steps is the city taking to grow businesses and attract relocation? Has the city released a plan, or ideas on how to improve the quality of life in Huntington? What about looking for new ideas to create more leisure and recreation options?

Old 07-16-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
The issue is that's what the city's demographics support and what banks are willing to lend for. Senior housing is one of the fastest growing housing types in the country, especially in smaller cities and towns where the population on the whole is greying.
So the solution to find a balance against your population "greying" is to only pursue options to build more senior housing? If so, that seems to contradict the city's proposed ordinance to offer incentives for building new single-family housing or renovating the older homes.

The population of Huntington is not only growing older, it continues to decline. The 2019 Census projected population of the city is around 43K. It was just shy of 50K at the 2010 Census. That's a huge decline in just a decade. At this rate, the city's population might be around 35K come the 2030 Census.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
One question I have about the proposal though, is there a high demand to renovate a one hundred year old home from the younger demographics? Also, even with the incentives, how much would it cost to renovate, and repair, the older homes compared to building new?
I Would think the main goal of this new proposal is to get construction companies to either buy and renovate the older homes to sell or to use vacant lots to build new housing. By removing the B&O tax on their construction, you can maximize profit. I’ve noticed a lot of houses being renovated lately but I’m not sure who’s doing it, the younger demographic that might own the home or a company that has bought it to flip.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:55 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,578 times
Quote:

From the article: "“Individuals living in urban centers and even in suburban centers by overwhelming majority are seeking to be able to find a place for employment, to be able to live in small towns or rural areas,” Williams said." How does Huntington currently factor into this equation? Outside of the medical sector, what other sectors are growing enough in the area to attract potential citizens to relocate? What additional steps is the city taking to grow businesses and attract relocation? Has the city released a plan, or ideas on how to improve the quality of life in Huntington? What about looking for new ideas to create more leisure and recreation options?
I don't think that statement is really true. There has not been any documented exodus or movement by millennials from large and very large metros to non-metro or small metro areas. What there has been is movement from major coastal cities like NYC and LA to secondary interior cities like Nashville, Charlotte, and Austin. Some smaller midsized cities like Tulsa and Chattanooga are also trying to cash in on this by offering incentives for people to move there, but I'm not sure how successful those programs have been in increasing their natural level of growth. There has also been some movement to suburban cities and towns as millennials look for home ownership or are priced out of the central city.

I think a lot of this talk of urban to rural migration comes from pandemic chicken littles who think cities are inherently unsafe compared to their rural counterpart or that working from home will be the 'new normal'. I do not believe either will be proven true based on what's going on in other cities around the world and previous failed work from home pushes.

Quote:
So the solution to find a balance against your population "greying" is to only pursue options to build more senior housing? If so, that seems to contradict the city's proposed ordinance to offer incentives for building new single-family housing or renovating the older homes.

The population of Huntington is not only growing older, it continues to decline. The 2019 Census projected population of the city is around 43K. It was just shy of 50K at the 2010 Census. That's a huge decline in just a decade. At this rate, the city's population might be around 35K come the 2030 Census.
Generally new housing developments are not financed until there is sustained growth to prove the market is there for the product. The city is offering the incentives to attempt to counteract the negative market. It'll be up to investors and the banks to determine if those incentives make eligible projects satisfactorily profitable.

In Huntington's case, there is no new population growth to support new housing, and the population of the city is generally too poor to purchase new replacement housing in a large enough amount to make anything more than a small project here and there viable. However, there is a large senior population that could be looking to downsize into something smaller or move somewhere where a bit more care is provided as they age. I'm not saying this is what's best for the city, but it's what developers, investors, and banks look at when deciding where and what to develop.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:55 AM

I had similar thoughts regarding the population shifts from large cities/metros to the secondary and smaller ones you mentioned. I think that the Mayor is overestimating that citizens of those large metros will want to give up all the big city amenities and such for a city that is continually getting smaller.

I think this proposal will show some return and interest but probably no where near what the Mayor believes, or wishes, will happen.

I also hope this proposal doesn't end up like the much talked about, and much promised, Harris Riverfront Park renovation and development. How long has it been since that project was announced? And all we have to show for it is a new dock for the police and fire boats.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:00 AM

Has anyone heard any recent news or updates regarding the planned upgrades and renovations to Hal Greer Blvd?

This is one of the last stories I could find about it in the Herald Dispatch.

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...81baf4ad1.html

Old 07-26-2020, 09:58 AM

I haven't heard anything recently but I have noticed that survey markers have been placed on the portion leading into town. This makes me think that preparations are at least underway. They may be waiting until Marshall finishes the new parking garage because traffic going to the Byrd Center will have to be rerouted down Blvd Ave to 15th Street if they follow the original plan. All of the construction going on in that area with the parking garage would make that a nightmare.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:06 AM

Huntington taking steps to be more attractive to developers and home owners:

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...1008778c1.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington