Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 09:04 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
Of course the Whitworth Farms people are furious because they bought $400k houses and Mike Friday is only trying to line his pockets, etc, etc. While I'm not a fan of McD's and it going in there, what did people expect living along a major thorough fare in a booming area of the city?

If the home owners there were so concerned, they should have pooled their money together and bought the land themselves so they can control it. That land is zoned b-2 commercial. It's going to be developed somehow. If you want to dictate what goes there, buy it.
Exactly...it always humors me when people buy houses that back up to commercially zoned plots and then make a big stink when a restaurant or business decided to build there. What did they think was going to happen? Those trees and farmland aren't going to be around forever if it is zoned commercial...

I don't eat McDonald's, but the added tax revenue should help the city and maybe it will even create some jobs that local neighborhood kids can take advantage of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 09:11 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,279,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
I can remember when ALL businesses were closed on Sunday, I can also remember when some decided to open on Sunday. It was "scandalous" for a while.
Oh Leslie, you are NOT that old!

Quote:
If the home owners there were so concerned, they should have pooled their money together and bought the land themselves so they can control it. That land is zoned b-2 commercial. It's going to be developed somehow. If you want to dictate what goes there, buy it.
That is an interesting idea, I wonder how much McD's paid for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I don't eat McDonald's, but the added tax revenue should help the city and maybe it will even create some jobs that local neighborhood kids can take advantage of.
Silver lining. I know if I was a kid, having a McDs in walking distance would be cool. I remember how exciting it was that BK opened on Hughes Rd. I was maybe 10 and a short bike ride or a long walk away...

Old 11-22-2013, 11:48 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Of course the Whitworth Farms people are furious because they bought $400k houses and Mike Friday is only trying to line his pockets, etc, etc. While I'm not a fan of McD's and it going in there, what did people expect living along a major thorough fare in a booming area of the city?

Not that cut and dry, Maya Blue. There is A LOT going on in there right now and in all honesty the McDonalds pales in comparison to other issues they have.

Whitworth Farms initially was NEVER to be a $400k neighborhood and it still is not, he started building the Foxfield plans for less when he opened Foxfield, and I thought people were crazy building those expensive houses in there and now they are paying for it.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:14 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Quote:
Not that cut and dry, Maya Blue. There is A LOT going on in there right now and in all honesty the McDonalds pales in comparison to other issues they have.

Whitworth Farms initially was NEVER to be a $400k neighborhood and it still is not, he started building the Foxfield plans for less when he opened Foxfield, and I thought people were crazy building those expensive houses in there and now they are paying for it.
Oh, I agree with you. I didn't mean for it to sound cut and dry. I just happened to hear some people complain that because they spent $400k on a home, that this was outrageous.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:36 PM

218 posts, read 277,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Exactly...it always humors me when people buy houses that back up to commercially zoned plots and then make a big stink when a restaurant or business decided to build there. What did they think was going to happen? Those trees and farmland aren't going to be around forever if it is zoned commercial...
I think a lot of it is ignorance. At my previous house, I got an invite from my city councilman to attend a neighborhood meeting regarding a proposed apartment complex that would adjoin to the subdivision. From the on people's faces at the meeting, the vast majority had no idea that land was zoned R2A (low density apartments). Another adjoining lot was zoned C1 and has since had a gas station go up.

I'm betting the vast majority of those in Whitworth Farms had no clue that strip of land was zoned non-residential. It wouldn't be unreasonable to think it was a buffer strip owned by the subdivision. IMO, their buyer's agent should have notified them that their property butted up to a B2 zone. I'm betting no agent did so.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:42 PM

614 posts, read 766,569 times
A few years ago a subdivision sprung up next door to the Harvest Drag Track, then the property owners complained and caused the Drag Track to change everything they did. Noise, times, everything. What did they think when they built there?

25 years ago a subdivision in Monrovia sprung up in the middle of a cotton field, then filed a lawsuit when the crop dusters came over.

A few years ago on opening day of Dove season a Sherrif showed up on us because some city person turned country liver had complained about the shooting. He (the cop) was amused, didn't tell us to stop. Just had to show up because of the call.

When the city moves out to the country there are growing pains on both sides.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:03 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r x f View Post
I think a lot of it is ignorance. At my previous house, I got an invite from my city councilman to attend a neighborhood meeting regarding a proposed apartment complex that would adjoin to the subdivision. From the on people's faces at the meeting, the vast majority had no idea that land was zoned R2A (low density apartments). Another adjoining lot was zoned C1 and has since had a gas station go up.

I'm betting the vast majority of those in Whitworth Farms had no clue that strip of land was zoned non-residential. It wouldn't be unreasonable to think it was a buffer strip owned by the subdivision. IMO, their buyer's agent should have notified them that their property butted up to a B2 zone. I'm betting no agent did so.
As far as I know, all of the neighborhoods on County Line south of Brownsferry have that land between them and the road zoned as commercial. The builders in many cases owned that property, but have held onto it until they can maximize their profits. Hunter Homes for example owns the land in front of Oxford and Ashbury, and just recently put it up for sale. About ten years after they bought it.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:08 PM

151 posts, read 296,148 times
Quote:

I had forgotten about the Whitworth Farms issues. I have been reading all the reference documentation at their (alternate non-associated) HOA website, and it's quite the mess! I'm sure the McDonald's is just icing on the cake at this point.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:44 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r x f View Post

Its not always been zoned commercial, and I don't think it was when that neighborhood was beginning to be built. It was all residential.

That land by Browns Ferry Crossing has been rezoned a couple of times, I believe.

That's the thing about vacant land....it CAN be rezoned at the owner's discretion and city's approval.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:05 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,279,085 times
perhaps a solution for those not wanting McDs in their backyard.

McDonald’s Figures Out Best Way To Keep Away Pesky Teens: Blast Opera At Them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area