Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:49 PM

169 posts, read 206,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
It really depends on what stores they decide to open...I doubt any store would open there who already has a location at Bridgestreet.
My understanding is that Belk will be opening a super-flagship store at the new mall on Zierdt, with the city providing $5M for them to move from their soon-to-open Bridge Street location.

(Just kidding, hopefully...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 09:54 PM

944 posts, read 1,187,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rae-zor View Post
Hey, I'm sorry and not trying to pick on you, but I lived in NOVA for 10 years, and my wife most her life, and expansion took FOREVER up there. Projects just lingered on for years! I've only been here for a couple years, but it's moving faster in that respect than VA, or NY where I grew up. Of course, it could be LOADS better, but it's not that bad.
Yes, the total and not finished yet expansions takes forever...but, I'm talking the mixing bowl, it really didn't take that long when one considers how freaking massive it is! will there forever be road work there...absolutely, but they are still faster than here...look at Zierdt, not exactly racing to do much are they?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:22 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,059,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Please remember that Louis Breland is paying for this interchange with 565 purely for his own development south of 565. There is no incentive for him to pay for an interchange which will reach Hughes Rd. The state of Alabama will have to do that and given the history of other projects, it will be a long time before there is a Hughes Rd. interchange.
Yep, well aware of that. Madison has asked the Feds several times for an interchange there and each time they have said no.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:42 AM

39 posts, read 111,465 times
I wouldn't call it bittersweet. I would call it horrific.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:11 PM

137 posts, read 231,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
Yes, the total and not finished yet expansions takes forever...but, I'm talking the mixing bowl, it really didn't take that long when one considers how freaking massive it is! will there forever be road work there...absolutely, but they are still faster than here...look at Zierdt, not exactly racing to do much are they?
Agree. I haven't been in the area to know how long the Zeirdt expansion has been in the planning, but if they don't start in January as the latest plan mentioned, I'll be sure to downgrade my opinion accordingly.

Also, they've already begun work on this town center. They appear to be wasting no time at all on this one.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:41 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,281,747 times
Glad I am moving from this construction zone soon! Just in time to wait for OMP to be done...

Old 08-16-2014, 11:39 PM

442 posts, read 648,057 times
Default Intergraph taking 'active approach to redevelopment' in wake of Town Madison groundbreaking

Intergraph taking 'active approach to redevelopment' in wake of Town Madison groundbreaking | AL.com

Quote:
MADISON, Alabama – In the weeks leading up to the grand opening of the $58 million Intergraph headquarters in Madison, the engineering and geospatial software provider is celebrating another milestone.

Intergraph officials were on hand during the groundbreaking of the $400 million Town Madison development, which will create 1,600 new jobs upon completion.
Louis Breland is spending about $22 million of his own money to develop the 700-acre land, which includes Intergraph property to assist the company with future development after its new 250,000-square-foot headquarters opens in early October.

"Their property and our property together as we step forward is going to create a very unique opportunity in Alabama," he said.
[Related: Gov. Bentley kicks off $400M Town Madison project by I-565]
The new Intergraph headquarters, located on 305 Intergraph Way, will have a state-of-the-art data center, customer-friendly conference space, cafeteria and lakeside terraces for both work and leisure. More than 1,000 Intergraph employees will move into the facility this fall before a grand opening event is held in mid-October.

Ed Porter, executive vice president of human resources for Intergraph, said the Town Madison project will aid Intergraph in developing its properties in both Madison and Huntsville.
"We also see the ability to connect Zierdt Road and our campus and Wall Triana Highway as a major transportation benefit to our employees and the community as it will add several commuting options," he said.

Intergraph has announced plans to redevelop the remainder of its campus to attraction high-tech companies, new retailers and commercial developments. Atlanta-based Cooper Carry, Inc. has designed a master plan for the Intergraph campus, which will feature 60,000 square feet of retail buildings, 117,000 square feet of entertainment facilities and 695,000 square feet of office space.
The campus will also include 970 multi-family units, 290 hotel rooms and 95 single family residential lots. Porter said Intergraph is currently in discussions regarding land on the existing campus.
"While nothing is imminent, we are optimistic that we can partner with entities that will enhance our employees' experience near the new Intergraph headquarters building," he said. "Now that the tax district is in place and the roadways are being planned, we are taking an even more active approach to redevelopment."

Old 08-18-2014, 04:48 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,281,747 times
I'd like to see one of these go up in Town Madison

About Landmark Theatres

It's a little affluent for this area, but maybe the free concessions will entice the riff raff?

Went to one in Denver, VERY nice area, like our research park area, with an urban feel to it. Kind of like if Providence was where bridge street is.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:02 PM

Default Huntsville gives Whole Foods developer three extra months to build coveted grocery store

Quote:
Originally Posted by rae-zor View Post
Be a great location for a Whole Foods too.
Huntsville gives Whole Foods developer three extra months to build coveted grocery store | AL.com

Quote:
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama – Huntsville has extended the construction deadline for North Alabama's first Whole Foods Market.

The original agreement between the city and developer RCP Merchants Walk, approved by the Huntsville City Council in February, said Whole Foods would be open at the northeast corner of Bob Wallace Avenue and Memorial Parkway by Oct. 1, 2015.

A revised contract approved by the council last week changed the construction deadline to Dec. 31, 2015.

Shane Davis, the city's director of urban development, said RCP Merchants Walk asked for the extension because of some last-minute design changes to the Whole Foods and delays involving a new Regions Bank on the property.

Davis said the developer still hopes to have the 42,000-square-foot Whole Foods open by the original deadline.

"They asked for the extension just in case," he told AL.com. "We agreed because we want to be good partners in growing the city. There's just a lot of moving pieces on that site."

Whole Foods will anchor The Shops at Merchants Walk, a new shopping center featuring 48,000 square feet of additional restaurant and retail space plus the new Regions Bank. Several old buildings are being demolished to clear the 7.2-acre site just south of downtown Huntsville.

The Shops at Merchants Walk has announced three retail tenants so far: Mountain High Outfitters; Maki Fresh Sushi Rolls & Japanese Grill; and Orangetheory Fitness.

The city has agreed to lease the shopping center's planned two-story parking deck from RCP Merchants Walk. Huntsville will pay $2 million when Whole Foods is issued a building permit, $1.3 million when the grocery store opens and $1.3 million more when the additional restaurant and retail space is completed.
All told, Huntsville expects to pay $8 million to lease the parking garage for 25 years and put up a new traffic light at the Bob Wallace Avenue entrance to The Shops at Merchants Walk. There will also be an entrance from the northbound Parkway access road.

Davis has estimated the shopping center will generate $58.75 million in new sales taxes over 25 years.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:28 AM

Default Court petition claims Huntsville school board member used ‘espionage’ to steal Cabela's from Madison, Louis Breland

//www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...s-breland.html

These should be linked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area