Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 01:12 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times

Advertisements

Wife and I got our shots at Walmart Market in Decatur (we live in Huntsville). She checked the website Sunday morning, 3/7, earliest appointment in the area was Sat 3/13. We snagged it, made the short drive and are now done. We were in and out in 20 minutes. It was J&J (which I am happy with) but it changes each week based on whatever they receive. Pharmacist said this week they will have Moderna. Neither of us have had any side effects either, happy about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 11:35 AM

12,983 posts, read 9,510,269 times
We got our second shots this morning (Pfizer) at John Hunt Park. Based on the parking lot, and the people in the post-shot waiting room, there were about twice as many there today as there was on Feb 23 for our first shots.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:21 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,594,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
We got our second shots this morning (Pfizer) at John Hunt Park. Based on the parking lot, and the people in the post-shot waiting room, there were about twice as many there today as there was on Feb 23 for our first shots.
What time of day did you go?

I saw fewer people there on Tuesday March 9 at 9:20am compared to Tuesday February 16 at 10:00am. I wonder if they are not as busy in the morning. I asked about that when I was there on March 9. They said they had gotten a bigger vaccine allocation which meant they would have more people coming the next week starting March 15.

I think I remember that sometime back in February they had only vaccines for about 900 shots a week. I remember reading about a week ago that their allocation had been increased to 2500 per week.

With the John Hunt Park Clinic scheduled to close at noon on Wednesday because of the weather that should make things busier on Thursday and Friday. I will be taking my wife to her appointment on Friday. I will see for myself how busy it is.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
What time of day did you go?

I saw fewer people there on Tuesday March 9 at 9:20am compared to Tuesday February 16 at 10:00am. I wonder if they are not as busy in the morning. I asked about that when I was there on March 9. They said they had gotten a bigger vaccine allocation which meant they would have more people coming the next week starting March 15.

I think I remember that sometime back in February they had only vaccines for about 900 shots a week. I remember reading about a week ago that their allocation had been increased to 2500 per week.

With the John Hunt Park Clinic scheduled to close at noon on Wednesday because of the weather that should make things busier on Thursday and Friday. I will be taking my wife to her appointment on Friday. I will see for myself how busy it is.
Our appointments were at 10:20. There were no police at the entrance yesterday, but for our first shots you had to go past the entrance for a block or two, then make a U-turn to come back to the entrance. Could be that traffic picked up after we were there that day.

Doughty just said that if you missed your appointment this afternoon because of the closure, you could come tomorrow or Friday without calling. So yes, it should be busier tomorrow and Friday.

Old 03-17-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Our appointments were at 10:20. There were no police at the entrance yesterday, but for our first shots you had to go past the entrance for a block or two, then make a U-turn to come back to the entrance. Could be that traffic picked up after we were there that day.

Doughty just said that if you missed your appointment this afternoon because of the closure, you could come tomorrow or Friday without calling. So yes, it should be busier tomorrow and Friday.
There was police at the entrance when I went on Tuesday March 9. I was glad to see that I got to make a left turn right into the parking lot without going any further.

When I went on February 16 and saw how I had to go past the entrance a ways and do a u-turn I wondered if this was the normal setup. If so then maybe the next time I came I should come early because of long lines. It turned out this was set up the day before on February 15 because of the free for all they created by announcing to the city that any employee could come without an appointment. I imagine the line was pretty long that day.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
There was police at the entrance when I went on Tuesday March 9. I was glad to see that I got to make a left turn right into the parking lot without going any further.

When I went on February 16 and saw how I had to go past the entrance a ways and do a u-turn I wondered if this was the normal setup. If so then maybe the next time I came I should come early because of long lines. It turned out this was set up the day before on February 15 because of the free for all they created by announcing to the city that any employee could come without an appointment. I imagine the line was pretty long that day.
Actually, there was a traffic control vehicle of some sort (small, like a scooter-type thing) at the entrance to the parking lot. I'd forgotten it was there. The time in February we went there were at least a half dozen police cars with blue lights flashing. And you're right - it was not long after the free-for-all.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:01 PM

I took my wife over to John Hunt Park for her first COVID-19 vaccination on Friday March 19 at noon. There was 2 people ahead of her in check-in. They had 7 vaccination stations open with about 25-30 people at one time either getting a shot or waiting to get one. She was in and out in about 35 minutes.

I want to contrast that to Tuesday March 9 at 9:30 am. Then there was no one in line ahead of me. There were maybe 2 or 3 people in all either getting a shot or waiting to get one.There was nobody else waiting at the station I went to so I did not have to wait to get the shot.

Overall March 19 was maybe 10 times busier than March 9. These are the possible factors:
  • Time of day
  • People making up earlier in the week missed or cancelled appointments (Wednesday?)
  • Big increase in vaccine supply (900 to 2500) allowing for more vaccinations to be given per week

Old 03-19-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
On March 22, the state is expanding vaccine eligibility to people age 55 and older, additional categories of essential workers including restaurant workers and bank tellers, and people with health conditions including obesity, cancer, kidney disease and smoking.
Quote:
Harris said the state could open it up to all adults in the coming weeks, as Mississippi and Alaska have already done, and other states have announced they will do.
Alabama may soon offer COVID vaccine to all adults 16 years and older
https://www.al.com/news/2021/03/alab...and-older.html

Old 03-19-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Alabama may soon offer COVID vaccine to all adults 16 years and older
https://www.al.com/news/2021/03/alab...and-older.html
Good. Any idea what percentage of Madison County residents have been vaccinated?

Approximately 1 person out of 885 in the US lives in Madison County. Pres Biden said we had just crossed 100,000,000 people with at least one vaccination nationwide, so at the same rate that would be about 113,000 people with at least one vaccination in the county. I doubt we're that high.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:32 PM

458 posts, read 617,583 times
62,663 people in Madison County have received at least one dose. 42,393 people have completed a vaccine series. This data was updated last Monday by ADPH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area