Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Don't be surprised if this same "help" comes to Florida in s week or so
Consider what it could do to the citrus and other agrcultural areas
Not to mrntion wildlife and --of course-- humans
https://www.ecowatch.com/harvey-pest...484385387.html
what's with all the bitter snide remarks? you want mosquito born diseases to spread throughout Texas?

what's the matter with you - Ingrate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 10:40 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Quote:
House was his vacation home
They live in Austin
He has money n sure he had adequate ins
So he can do a better house wo much pain
He is lucky
So many people lost everything
We will have so many people moving into lower level of poverty after this I think

Hope your friend is ok
Lot of PTSD after stress on this level
Course TX has horrible public health
Good luck w/that poor folks
Exactly on the PTSD comment....I feel like I have it, even though I sustained no damage and got power back quickly. The stress of not knowing what to do -- whether to stay or go, being scared to death, feeling like your home would be obliterated when you got back to it, being in a shelter for two nights with no sleep, hearing the storm raging outside and not having any connection to outside to know where it was. And then even three days later, driving around and seeing the destruction, even though it was only Cat 1 or 2 (still don't know for sure) when it hit us. I went out tonight to my normal Wed. night place but people were still looking upset....and we were the lucky ones.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:18 AM

7,259 posts, read 4,629,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
Authorities continue to watch river levels rising along portions of i75 in Northern FL from water runoff from heavy irma rains, which may shut down the interstate at some point. Details: [url="http://www.fdot.gov/info/CO/news/newsreleases/09132017-Final75Detour.pdf"]http://www.fdot.gov/info/CO/news/newsreleases/09132017-Final75Detour.pdf[/UR]
i-75 will rain open as waters under it have crested per FDOT. Some other roads in that area remain closed due to high river levels though.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:50 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
what's with all the bitter snide remarks? you want mosquito born diseases to spread throughout Texas?

what's the matter with you - Ingrate.
You apparently are in NYC==well away from Harvey or Irma's path
Did you read the article or just attack me?
Of course I don't want to see people infected with diseases like West Nile

But there are side effects to this chemical--serious side effects--that is why it is banned in Europe--

Do you think the people who will be under that spray or come in contact later will be told by the local/state/federal gov'ts that it could have serious side effects?
You know they won't---they don't want to accept any liability issues for later lawsuits

Just like first responders and volunteers in the aftermath of 9/11 began to develop serious complications to exposure to the dust in the air, after being told they were safe--
it is certainly possible there will be side effects to the spraying of that chemical. And Texas, being the Gung-ho GOP state that it is, has tried very hard to reduce the ability of individuals to sue for liability issues...

Will it work to help keep down mosquitos---sure
But it will also kill other beneficial insects like bees, impact bird populations and other wildlife...
and can have health impact on humans who come in contact...
people working in their yards or in other locations after it has been sprayed can get it on their skins and absorb it--doesn't have to be airborn to infiltrate their systems

Plenty of people in Houston area would be happy to see government take a more ecological approach
Add bat colonies for one thing---very benign but totally beneficial in killing/eating mosquitos and harm no one or bees...
One of the largest natural bat colonies in Houston was destroyed by Harvey
Bats can't really fly away like birds can because their sonar is disrupted by the pressure and winds a hurricane brings

If you think it is so benign--so to Houston and stand outside when it is being deployed...

Old 09-14-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
i-75 will rain open as waters under it have crested per FDOT. Some other roads in that area remain closed due to high river levels though.
My pool guy is in NC w/family
They are planning on driving back this weekend
Hopefully there will be more gas and less water when they do

Old 09-14-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies in the wind View Post
It was negligence. Those people were take taking Medicare money and they didn't keep their facilities safe. They also had those patients dehydrated. Some parts of the building were cooler than others. They also had a hospital across the street. Instead of caring for those patients, they ignored them

FPL said yesterday that some parts of the building had electricity. What this facility did to those patients is horrible and I hope whoever was in charge is convicted of murder or manslaughter.
Hey
I totally agree but it would not have happened w/o the trauma from Irma...
I said Lauderdale but think it was Hollywood where it occurred...

I imagine facility had much lower staffing levels because people had gone home to deal with their own difficulties but that is NO excuse
The facility had power but not AC because a transformer that powered the AC was damaged (fuse issue) and FPL was told several times about it and would not respond by having that nursing facility jump the queue--
When the nursing home managers (husband/wife) could see that it was not being addressed they just continued to press FPL from what I read or the Sheriff's Dept
They did not notify the hospital directly
That is on THEM...
The hospital was totally capable and willing to take those people in
In fact it was the hospital ER staff who went there and SAW how bad it was that initiated the rescue call and started triage....
One person went directly to a mortuary and was not counted immediately as one of the dead...

I think they need to try them for murder
That was a senseless tragedy...
And I hope that it will push the legislature to review again the safeguards supposedly in place to protect against dangerous conditions like this
IF a 7/11 has to have a generator to ensure the gas pumps work and can deliver gas in an emergency why would you not require nursing homes to have the same self-preservation capacity????

Old 09-14-2017, 02:20 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Hey
I totally agree but it would not have happened w/o the trauma from Irma...
I said Lauderdale but think it was Hollywood where it occurred...

I imagine facility had much lower staffing levels because people had gone home to deal with their own difficulties but that is NO excuse
The facility had power but not AC because a transformer that powered the AC was damaged (fuse issue) and FPL was told several times about it and would not respond by having that nursing facility jump the queue--
When the nursing home managers (husband/wife) could see that it was not being addressed they just continued to press FPL from what I read or the Sheriff's Dept
They did not notify the hospital directly
That is on THEM...
The hospital was totally capable and willing to take those people in
In fact it was the hospital ER staff who went there and SAW how bad it was that initiated the rescue call and started triage....
One person went directly to a mortuary and was not counted immediately as one of the dead...

I think they need to try them for murder
That was a senseless tragedy...
And I hope that it will push the legislature to review again the safeguards supposedly in place to protect against dangerous conditions like this
IF a 7/11 has to have a generator to ensure the gas pumps work and can deliver gas in an emergency why would you not require nursing homes to have the same self-preservation capacity????
No, they can't blame FPL. By FL law they do have to have generators and keep the facility below a certain temp - I think 80 degree.

They IGNORED the situation, plain and simple. Gov Scott was on TV 24 hours a day saying "If you need any help at all with evacuation, call us but don't wait until during the hurricane because we can't get to you."

They had DEAD PEOPLE IN THE PLACE found by the hospital staff who got suspicious when they processed their third dead person who was 911'd into them.

The place was a DUMP, period.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:43 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Once again--jumping to conclusions to attack someone whom you don't know and have no clue about
No, for what it's worth I don't eat "organic only" fruits and vegetables
And NO I don't think vaccines are bad for your health
Vaccines were torched by someone using tainted evidence and people refuse to listen to info that goes against their mind set
Like YOU assume you can read my mind and know the kind of person I am
Both my children were vaccinated -- although they are over 35 now--
I was part of the great wave of polio vaccinations in the 50s when Saulk came up with his vaccine
I get regular flu vaccinations so I don't infect others and so does my husband--
My adult children don't because they think the flu mutates so often that vaccines are not as protective as Public Heath advises so they take their chances---
My son had cancer when he was a child and although he has made recovery and had no recurrences has issues with some vaccines---so he follows his doctor's recommendations--
But something like Tetnus--we all get those--
My grandson has had his vaccinations and I ABHORE the parents who think they are protecting their children when they don't get them vaccinated...

Listen to yourself and stop judging people when you have NO IDEA who they are

I was young adult when Vietnam happened
I know that Agent Orange was spread wholesale in Vietnam and had catastrophic effect on soldiers and other personnel who came in contact--not to mention what it likely did to the Vietnamese people
The government denied for decades the damage it could do---

Your government does a lot of s--- in the name of doing "good"
and as I said there are probably plenty of people in Houston who regret this move who are not all as alt-science as you seem to think I am...
Even if it will cut back on mosquitos
But you know what--
The mosquitos will come back
They move on the wind
They can hide protected from that spraying and their eggs can hatch and still infect people
Will they spray a second time???

And by the way--how are you going to deliver those millions you bet me?
PayPal works for me...
fair enough!

but you can't compare an organo pesticide to Dioxin (agent orange) which is one of the most toxic substances deliberately released on mankind in history. On a harmful scale of 1 to 100 dioxin is like a 100 and the mosquito agent is maybe a 5 (and also approved by the EPA in the concentrations released)

Old 09-14-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
No, they can't blame FPL. By FL law they do have to have generators and keep the facility below a certain temp - I think 80 degree.

They IGNORED the situation, plain and simple. Gov Scott was on TV 24 hours a day saying "If you need any help at all with evacuation, call us but don't wait until during the hurricane because we can't get to you."

They had DEAD PEOPLE IN THE PLACE found by the hospital staff who got suspicious when they processed their third dead person who was 911'd into them.

The place was a DUMP, period.
The law that requires "adequate temperture control" does not specify they have to have a generator
Just a vague wording about a plan to keep "afequate" temp control
Lot of leeway in what is adequate and how to keep it

And it does not go into effect until Nov--after hurricane season is over
Just heard NPR news story about it in my car
Look it up on NPR.org
Excellent reporting

Old 09-14-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
fair enough!

but you can't compare an organo pesticide to Dioxin (agent orange) which is one of the most toxic substances deliberately released on mankind in history. On a harmful scale of 1 to 100 dioxin is like a 100 and the mosquito agent is maybe a 5 (and also approved by the EPA in the concentrations released)
Still waiting for my money
And dioxin was supposedly ok too initially
Just like cigarretts were benign
Most of these chemical companies
Like Arkana whose plant lacked the best dampening controls to prevent explosions and under TX new law was not required to disclose the quantity or specific chemicals stored at facility
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes