Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2017, 07:45 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The law that requires "adequate temperture control" does not specify they have to have a generator
Just a vague wording about a plan to keep "afequate" temp control
Lot of leeway in what is adequate and how to keep it

And it does not go into effect until Nov--after hurricane season is over
Just heard NPR news story about it in my car
Look it up on NPR.org
Excellent reporting
So basically you just have last-word-itis? .

Because you said:

And I hope that it will push the legislature to review again the safeguards supposedly in place to protect against dangerous conditions like this
IF a 7/11 has to have a generator to ensure the gas pumps work and can deliver gas in an emergency why would you not require nursing homes to have the same self-preservation capacity????

Which was what I was responding to. So you didn't know about the new law when you said that.

And OBVIOUSLY, you need a generator if you have to keep the AC temps lower in the middle of Florida summer heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 07:53 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Hey
I totally agree but it would not have happened w/o the trauma from Irma...
I said Lauderdale but think it was Hollywood where it occurred...

I imagine facility had much lower staffing levels because people had gone home to deal with their own difficulties but that is NO excuse
The facility had power but not AC because a transformer that powered the AC was damaged (fuse issue) and FPL was told several times about it and would not respond by having that nursing facility jump the queue--
When the nursing home managers (husband/wife) could see that it was not being addressed they just continued to press FPL from what I read or the Sheriff's Dept
They did not notify the hospital directly
That is on THEM...
The hospital was totally capable and willing to take those people in
In fact it was the hospital ER staff who went there and SAW how bad it was that initiated the rescue call and started triage....
One person went directly to a mortuary and was not counted immediately as one of the dead...

I think they need to try them for murder
That was a senseless tragedy...
And I hope that it will push the legislature to review again the safeguards supposedly in place to protect against dangerous conditions like this
IF a 7/11 has to have a generator to ensure the gas pumps work and can deliver gas in an emergency why would you not require nursing homes to have the same self-preservation capacity????
The news said the facility was across the street from a hospital. No excuse for this.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Just pointing out that while your outrage is understandable and justified, some iot your information was not accurate

If the new law specified a generator to operate an AC system then there is no question what is required by nursing homes to do
Dont be mad at me for pointing out loopholes in lhe law
Contact Gov Scott or your local state rep and ask them to revise that standard and the ranking of nursing homes/group faciities under FPL triage protocol
I dont vote in FL
Just own house there
Someone in my neighborhood has 4 seniors paying rent to live there
Have no idea if she is "licensed" as group home or not but offered to send money via Paypal to neighbor who got gas for HER generator
Some generators can only handles fans and a fridge
Some take over all electric need so saying generator wo specifying power replacement is likely too vague for adequate safety insurance in times of no power

And feel free to respond
This thread not closed

Old 09-15-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
The news said the facility was across the street from a hospital. No excuse for this.
Totally agree and hope the district attorney goes for more than "depraved indifference"
Maybe Man 2
Likely cant prove they intended those people to die which is murder charge requirement I believe

Old 09-16-2017, 11:15 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Can't take much time right now but let me tell you, it was quite a ride.
Staying with friends just up the road with a generator.Just got internet service back yesterday
My house still no power or water....and not much of a roof and favorite lanai is someplace up the street.
Mobile home park of 55 and older and badly hit.
We did watch it and at a reported 135 peak wind, didn't seem as exciting as you see on TV

Old 09-18-2017, 09:31 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
The kids are finally back to school today here in North Port. A friend of the family is a janitor for the schools and THEY needed the time to clean up after the exacuues. This person said what pigs those people were! In every single school! Even feces and urine all over the place! Another good reason for my list to stay put. SMH about people.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:34 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,240,234 times
Sharing this here as the writer expresses just how powerful Irma was as it hit St. Maarten. The writer is Nick Marley, we had visited him on our last cruise to St. Maarten. He's one of the guys who built and designed Yoda for Star Wars, he's known as Yoda Guy. This is from his Facebook page:

Quote:
For everyone who has asked... Irma was a *****. But St Maarten/St Martin is still here.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
LET ME START BY SAYING THIS. Irma was my 12th hurricane. The last catastrophic one was Luis 22 years ago. The island was up and running in TWO MONTHS. The worst damage was all the tourist cancellations that plagued us for 8 months and seriously hampered our recovery. DON'T ANYONE CANCEL THEIER 2018 VACATIONS YET. Wait a month to see how we are recovering.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Having said that, Much is broken here. No power or water yet. Today is the first day we have communication from a server on a street corner. But each day things improve. The island is badly damaged. Almost every building. 90% of the cars.

Many apartments in our complex had the hurricane shutters ripped clean out. Where I was they held. But when the concrete building trembled in the gusts, and the 1'2 inch thick patio doors were bending, dragged the mattress to the bathroom. Then the glass doors imploded inside the hurricane shutters.

When it passed I saw that we were lucky. Because every apartment around us was trashed. Mostly we need roofs and windows food, water, communications. THAT COULD ALL BE IN PLACE IN 2 MONTHS.

Over a 1000 troops have come to the French side to restore order after looting was prolific the first two nights. Another 1000 are coming to start to rebuild electrical and engineering structures. It gets some getting used to military road blocks and helicopters and military planes frequently overhead as part of our new daily routine.

Supermarkets opened yesterday under military guard and we are delivered drinking water daily. we carry water from the reception building's cistern to wash and clean. It is tough. But we must get through this to rebuild our lives and businesses

Dutch side was under strict curfew but is now allowing movement up until 3.00 pm. The museum relics are all safe. Damage was to our facia and roof. But we are ok. Healthy and trying to save all that we can.

Or communication is erratic. More when I can reconnect. But we can't charge our devices except some that can charge in the car.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:16 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Email from brother 9/19/17, Marco Island:

Anyway, we’re still in Marco. The biggest problem we now have is that power is still not restored – going on 11 days now. Most of the area around us has power, but we think a transformer that only serves our house and 2 or 3 neighbors is damaged, so we are a relative low priority to the power company compared to more concentrated population areas. We can’t even get an estimate from the power company on when power will be restored. Once we get power, we can have a new AC unit installed – it was blown off (or knocked off) the pedestal during the storm and damaged beyond repair. It was an old unit (16 years old) so we didn’t expect it to last much longer anyway. The other problems were minor roof damage – a few displaced and broken roof tiles, and missing portions of the soffits, and most of the pool cage screens blown out. The frame of the cage is fine, except for one of the screen doors. But the roof is not leaking (the roofs are sealed under the tiles, which are mostly decorative), and I was able to repair all the missing soffits. We have a guy lined up for the pool cage screens and screen door, and another to repair the roof tiles, which can be done while we’re not here. So we’re really just waiting for power so we can get the AC replaced and check out the rest of the electric inside and outside the house. Then we can head back to Maryland.

So we really dodged a bullet with this massive storm. It could have been much worse. When we ride around the island and the surrounding towns, we can see the extensive damage that was done by Irma. Some people lost entire roofs, others most of the home’s contents due to storm surge, and others entire homes. Most of these were in Goodland and Everglades City. Also, we were very fortunate that our friends & neighbors William and Julie, who have power, have allowed us to live in their vacant home while waiting for our power to return.

We’ve been very busy since we got here last Wednesday. After cleaning up the debris in our yard and our neighbors yards, Cindy and I volunteered to buy and deliver supplies to hard hit areas, primarily Goodland. Its really amazing how many people down here donate their time and money to help those in need. Their generosity is infectious, and the need is real. So we’re making use of our time while waiting for things to happen here. We’ve also found time to hook up with our friends for dinner or happy hour, and to watch the Ravens game at a local sports bar.

So hopefully we’ll get power soon and be heading back to Maryland. We’ll keep you posted. Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers!

Old 09-22-2017, 03:40 PM

Depending on what your situation is you can apply for housing assistance through FEMA if you want compensation...for like a hotel stay since you have no power...
How long did your yard debris have to wait for pickup?

In Sarasota county apparently the county had a contract in place for storm debris pickup for less than other areas (like Marco Island/Naples) were paying and sub-contractors from out of state are going south to pick up more money...
Not really complaining--it is a free country--
But someone in my neighborhood who has taken a recent job with FEMA as a "supervisor" for debris contracting is complaining the county is keeping all the FEMA money for itself...

Old 09-23-2017, 09:14 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Just got around to this. I typically watch this guys videos. Good stuff on lawns. He lives in Florida West side. This was right before Irma hit.

I love his comment... So true!

"This is not Cuba, this is not Barbuda, not St Martin... this is the United States and there's a reason why we have all these strict building codes here, its because of these situations"

"The construction here can handle hurricane winds. The real danger is the surge, not the winds. The ocean water that comes rushing up the rivers over the barrier islands, that's the danger."

"When media says Get Out Now, Evacuate Now, This Is The Real Deal, they are only talking about people who are in those surge zone, flood zones, low lying areas, mobile homes."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q75Qdf23Az0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes