Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 05:57 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Animation of the cone & path from NHC.

https://twitter.com/JimCantore/statu...57544530018305
Such a difficult forecast due to the timing of the north turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 06:02 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes N6, here in SW Fl. they are reporting wind gusts of 220. Yesterday the gusts were up to 225.
Yes, sure do remember Andrew. The weather men here are saying this is much meaner than even Andrew was. After seeing Andrew up close, we won't be staying. And as you said, Andrew was like 100 tornadoes wrapped up in a hurricane.

*For my friends here on CD, we will most likely be leaving around noon. I use a PC to access CD, so it will be next wk. before I make it back. Wish me luck, and I hope everyone stays safe and does not take this storm lightly. Just a slight shift in the projected path could mean she hits SW Fl. Just not worth it. Get out and take your loved ones with you.
When you say "SW FL"and "they report” could you be more specific?
Have family south of Sarasota and they are seeing reports that make it seem Irma will go Miami way and west coast is relatively low risk.
I totally get the risk you cite...but am not there to put a physical foot down...

Old 09-07-2017, 06:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
If you go back through the first 10 pages of this thread, the Euro was the closest to what looks like will play out, from over a week ago.
Posted this before but maybe not this thread:
Houston meteorologist's comment about the accuracy of forecasts on Harvey's path of attrition
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...formed-humans/

Old 09-07-2017, 06:09 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,777,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Here is a video from TWC , if your house can stand winds over 130mph .... have at it.... keep in mind you will be cut off from the mainland possibly... surge could hit your house... isnt key biscayne mandatory? If not i likely think it will be...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lqfExHpvLRY
Yes, they've already issued a mandatory evacuation order for my area. Like I said, if it looks bad tomorrow night then I'll leave but I'd only be leaving mainly to avoid the inconvenience of being isolated from the mainland and without power/water for weeks. The house in that video is a wood frame house, you're not even allowed to build houses like that down here lol. I'm not particularly worried agout my house, it was built in 1952 and hasn't had any problems yet.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
lol USA vs EU

https://twitter.com/dbrownweather/st...64871043776515

Old 09-07-2017, 06:20 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
With the current track can anyone tell me what the predicted impact would be for Sarasota, FL?

Winds and storm surge? Rain? Would it be like a cat 3 or cat 2?

I really haven't seen any info on what the outlying areas will experience 50-100-150- miles out from the eye, especially since right now it is traveling over small islands.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:25 AM

455 posts, read 670,783 times
Here in Charleston. Feel we must leave. But where and when to go? North or West and how far? The cone is so long and wide. Help from experienced storm watchers much appreciated. We live 4 miles from Isle of Palms Beach on the mainland. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:45 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,802,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
With the current track can anyone tell me what the predicted impact would be for Sarasota, FL?

Winds and storm surge? Rain? Would it be like a cat 3 or cat 2?

I really haven't seen any info on what the outlying areas will experience 50-100-150- miles out from the eye, especially since right now it is traveling over small islands.
Sararsota worst case would be hit with a Cat 4 direct hit winds around 150 mph and waves 30-40 feet above sea level.

This said it looks more likely the eye will impact Miami and Ft Lauderdale which is about 200 miles away.

Divide by 1.15 to get to 173 nautical miles.

Now consult forecast I posted earlier.

50 KT...100NE 80SE 60SW 80NW.
34 KT...180NE 140SE 100SW 160NW.

Notice 34 KT winds extend 160 nautical miles from eye if the eye is in Miami. Hence you should still see winds of at most 34 knots even if eye strikes East Coast.

What is 34 knots? Glad you asked.Times 1.15 to get 39 mph.

Take in any trash cans that might get blown over if the direct hit is Miami. Put on hearing protection and swimsuit if it is direct hit on Sarasota.

For rain forecast see nice graphic posted here just a while ago. That graphic is based on East Coast track.

If it veers up West Coast you will be in pretty blue territory and that has nothing to do with politics. Just inches of rain.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:55 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,802,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNSea55 View Post
Here in Charleston. Feel we must leave. But where and when to go? North or West and how far? The cone is so long and wide. Help from experienced storm watchers much appreciated. We live 4 miles from Isle of Palms Beach on the mainland. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst.
You need to be the judge of how secure your house is and how far you are above sea level and any creeks that may flood. Since you are not expecting a Cat 4 like Sarasota or Miami may get, odds are good your home will survive fine provided it has hurricane clips on the roof and walls are bolted into a slab floor.

Further rain will not be 40 inches like Texas so what is the grade of land around you? Two story or one story?

If you are in a mobile home park, get out for sure. Head West.

70 miles would be plenty.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:55 AM

792 posts, read 497,271 times
edit: Agree /\/\/\/\/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNSea55 View Post
If you feel you should go, I would head to Macon GA or toward us. There are a few hotels where 26 and 385 split near Clinton. Or Newberry. Or come on up to Greenville or Asheville, more options for entertainment and dining while you wait it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes