Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 11:26 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just go to the West coast of Florida and you'll be fine or Orlando.. Why are people going to another state??

Latest GFS12z status quo.. touches Miami..

Here's a loop 4am Saturday to 8pm Sunday per GFS.

White Barbs are the strongest of winds. The more "lines" on the wind barbs the stronger the winds

LOL obviously you've never lived in Florida. Last year in May, our County was paralyzed for over a day because we received 11 inches of a downpour one afternoon. You couldn't get in my condo Community nor could you get out because of flooding. People who were on the road doing normal errands we're stuck for 6 or more hours and their cars were all breaking down from trying to drive through flooding.

There were very few hotels available even yesterday in Northern Florida and have you ever tried living here with no electricity in 90 degree weather with a heat index of >100?

It's funny to see everybody have these strong opinions now that the predictions have slightly gone towards the east coast.

The bottom line is if some people don't feel their house is Hurricane worthy and they have the money they'll leave the state to escape the entire drama. The others will go to a shelter which is a point that the governor made on his last press conference. He said you don't have to leave the state you can still be safe in shelters.

I left on Tuesday because I didn't want to be stuck in a long line of thousands of people that we see today on the highways. If I'm driving a couple of hours to get to Orlando or the West Coast I might as well drive a couple of more hours to avoid the entire thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 11:30 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
I understand why people on the Floridian west coast are leaving - better to be safe than sorry. What if the track ends up wrong and it makes landfall on the Florida keys? Still too early to say where it will land, if at all, and we probably won't have a firm idea until we start to see it turning north near Cuba.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:34 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,314,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You said you had the place rented out which is why you couldn't use it in the future -that's what I'm talking about. Cancelling their bookings so you can go instead.

Let the resort know? What is this a timeshare?

I'm sorry it's hard to care about you missing a vacation when most of us are spending several hundred dollars if not thousands trying to get out of our own homes and evacuate.
Nope, not a timeshare, we own the property. It's just that it is within a resort and it would be courteous to let them know that no one will be occupying our unit next week so they don't wonder what happened. The other issue with going later is that we both still work and can't just take off at the drop of a hat.

Obviously the people of Florida are the main concern here and you're right, my vacation next to someone losing their home is less than nothing. That's one of many reasons why I wouldn't live in Florida. I feel badly for everyone who is there trying to get out and pray for their safety, and I have some friends near Miami who I am of course concerned about. I especially feel for the natives who were born and raised there because they didn't voluntarily choose to live in a hurricane state.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:36 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,777,754 times
Not looking good for me

Old 09-07-2017, 11:38 AM

274 posts, read 327,058 times
In case anyone reading on here hasn't seen this:

A sobering Local Statement from MFL: Local Statement for Irma (Miami, FL)
Here is some of it:
POTENTIAL IMPACTS ----------------- * WIND: Prepare for life-threatening wind having possible devastating impacts across South Florida. Potential impacts include: - Structural damage to sturdy buildings, some with complete roof and wall failures. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Damage greatly accentuated by large airborne projectiles. Locations may be uninhabitable for weeks or months. - Numerous large trees snapped or uprooted along with fences and roadway signs blown over. - Many roads impassable from large debris, and more within urban or heavily wooded places. Many bridges, causeways, and access routes impassable. - Widespread power and communications outages. * SURGE: Prepare for life-threatening surge having possible devastating impacts across coastal Collier, Mainland Monroe, coastal Miami-Dade counties including Biscayne Bay. Potential impacts in this area include: - Widespread deep inundation, with storm surge flooding greatly accentuated by powerful battering waves. Structural damage to buildings, with many washing away. Damage greatly compounded from considerable floating debris. Locations may be uninhabitable for an extended period. - Near-shore escape routes and secondary roads washed out or severely flooded. Flood control systems and barriers may become stressed. - Extreme beach erosion. New shoreline cuts possible. - Massive damage to marinas, docks, boardwalks, and piers. Numerous small craft broken away from moorings with many lifted onshore and stranded. Also, prepare for life-threatening surge having possible significant to extensive impacts across immediate coastal Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:52 AM

83,539 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Kentucky Meteorologist Brian Goode another good one. Check out his in depth analysis!

• Talks about the curve back in.
  • The Atlantic shelf off the coast being shallow.
  • Water temps.
  • The forward motion build up will push all that water and that's why there's forecasts of 30+ waves off South Carolina & Georgia
  • High Pressure to the north also a reason for the curve back in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv5i...utu.be&t=1m49s

Old 09-07-2017, 12:08 PM

792 posts, read 497,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Kentucky Meteorologist Brian Goode another good one. Check out his in depth analysis!

• Talks about the curve back in.
  • The Atlantic shelf off the coast being shallow.
  • Water temps.
  • The forward motion build up will push all that water and that's why there's forecasts of 30+ waves off South Carolina & Georgia
  • High Pressure to the north also a reason for the curve back in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv5i...utu.be&t=1m49s
I'm sorry ... I can't listen with sound right now but is he making a case for Jose to do a loop and come right back to Florida?!

Old 09-07-2017, 12:11 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,634,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
I'm sorry ... I can't listen with sound right now but is he making a case for Jose to do a loop and come right back to Florida?!
I haven't listened to that clip yet but yes *some* of the guidance points to Jose doing a loop back around and down and back in play, but next week sometime.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:16 PM

83,539 posts, read 75,373,979 times
I might have to eat my words if this becomes a trend now. I forgot we were still 3 days away. Lessons taught me models can shift back within 72 hrs.

Euro went west and stronger. Goodbye Miami and now puts Hurricane force into Western side of south Florida. I like the "better safe then sorry" thinking. Head north!

Sunday morning

And Euro says it rides up the state.

Monday morning. Colors represent winds in knots at 5000'.

Last edited by Cambium; 09-07-2017 at 12:26 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 12:17 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Nope, not a timeshare, we own the property. It's just that it is within a resort and it would be courteous to let them know that no one will be occupying our unit next week so they don't wonder what happened. The other issue with going later is that we both still work and can't just take off at the drop of a hat.

Obviously the people of Florida are the main concern here and you're right, my vacation next to someone losing their home is less than nothing. That's one of many reasons why I wouldn't live in Florida. I feel badly for everyone who is there trying to get out and pray for their safety, and I have some friends near Miami who I am of course concerned about. I especially feel for the natives who were born and raised there because they didn't voluntarily choose to live in a hurricane state.
Let me say this as nicely as possible:

STAY HOME, residents are a little bit busy there at the moment.

Schools to close for Hurricane Irma as South Carolina prepares for 'major' storm conditions | News | postandcourier.com

http://wjbf.com/2017/09/06/south-car...ing-for-worst/

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/new...171700262.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes