Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 10:25 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,634,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What is the storm surge looking like for the west coast of FL?

Will it be stronger north or south of the eye: that is, as storm moves north does that force more water south because of rotation?

I've seen explanations of the storm surge, but only for the east coast of FL and SC/GA.
They just updated the interactive surge map after inputing the 11pm update data here (only shows areas that have had a storm surge watch/warning issued though): HURRICANE IRMA

This map shows the current possible highest surge (so could be that or less), changes each update. Now if this came around the S tip of FL and made landfall on the west coast it would be different story with larger surge on West coast obviously but surge map is showing results based on current predicted path.

Highest surge comes with the eye itself at landfall, but yes a surge goes which ever direction the wind is blowing based on the storm center. So if Irma center is say due east of you winds would be North to South pushing water down and as it passed you by but would then push more water onshore after it passed. Which part is worse will depend on when high/low tide is, shape of coastline/inlets/bays/elevations,etc. It's based on wind direction pushing water. You see this a lot on the outerbanks of NC where storm comes up with beach front surge then as storm leaves winds shift and you have sound side flooding which can sometimes be worse there since there's no real sand dunes protecting residents from sound flooding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 10:30 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
They just updated the interactive surge map after inputing the 11pm update data here (only shows areas that have had a storm surge watch/warning issued though): HURRICANE IRMA

This map shows the current possible highest surge (so could be that or less), changes each update. Now if this came around the S tip of FL and made landfall on the west coast it would be different story with larger surge on West coast obviously but surge map is showing results based on current predicted path.

Highest surge comes with the eye itself at landfall, but yes a surge goes which ever direction the wind is blowing based on the storm center. So if its say due east of you winds would be North to South pushing water down and as it passed you by but would then push more water onshore after it passed. Which part is worse will depend on when high/low tide is, shape of coastline/inlets/bays/elevations,etc. It's based on wind direction pushing water.
OK, thanks. I've asked a lot of questions and appreciate the answers.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:35 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,306 times
Latest track puts Irma west of Charlotte - a relief for us.

Stay safe Florida!

Please LEAVE now if you haven't already!

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 09-07-2017 at 10:47 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 10:35 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,634,376 times
Quote:
OK, thanks. I've asked a lot of questions and appreciate the answers.
No problem, I added an example to last part of my response just after you replied btw.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:02 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,694,368 times
Yeah it's track is heading towards Tennessee. Now, didn't Tennessee get hit pretty hard by Harvey?
Edit: Sorry, I mean once it's done with Florida and goes inland - The track takes it towards TN.

Sorry, it's late!

Last edited by Sollaces; 09-07-2017 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-07-2017, 11:06 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
No problem, I added an example to last part of my response just after you replied btw.
What is a "storm surge watch"? I know a hurricane watch is ... well ... watch for possible hurricane conditions. Hurricane warning means there is a hurricane. My area was just give a storm surge watch.

Probably a very dumb question. TIA.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:33 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
I can live with the National Hurricane Center's 8PM outlook. All I want is for wind speeds to stay less than 50 MPH in my corner of northeast Georgia.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:59 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Quote:
What is a "storm surge watch"? I know a hurricane watch is ... well ... watch for possible hurricane conditions. Hurricane warning means there is a hurricane. My area was just give a storm surge watch.

Probably a very dumb question. TIA.
A storm surge watch means be alert because bad weather is coming with strong winds pushing water higher than tide levels
Pushing that ocean water on the land
Right now because the landfall and speed is not known, there is nothing specific as to location, amount/height, or distance it might travel because not enough data is known

Later when better info for estimates is available they go to warning status
First watch--then warning
Is how I think it works

Old 09-08-2017, 12:02 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Just saw this about Google Maps for flooded / closed streets
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...e-closed-roads

Old 09-08-2017, 01:00 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Latest track puts Irma west of Charlotte - a relief for us.

Stay safe Florida!

Please LEAVE now if you haven't already!
21 million people live in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes