Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:05 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,348,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Just a slight ammendment to your statement. Not all farm labor is paid on an hourly basis. Many agri jobs are paid by piecework. You get paid by the box, or bushel or basket, etc. The more you pick, the more you earn. This is legal in our agriculture industry. Especially in crops that have a short harvest period. If you raise the price per box paid to the pickers, this cost will be directly applied to the bottom line and be passed on to the consumer. Just thought i'd clarify that. Thank you.
The bottom line is that if there is a shortage of American workers to pick crops we have unlimited H-2A visas for that kind of work so the farmers have no excuse hiring illegal aliens instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 03:01 PM

27,290 posts, read 15,443,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Yet it was corporate America who lured illegals to our country to do jobs during good economic times Americans wouldn't do. Now that many of these illegals have established roots in our country and had children who are legal citizens are being told to go home because apparently, they are no longer needed.

I thought conservatives were about family. This knee-jerk reaction of "send them all back" proves clearly that many of you are not.

Absolutely wrong!
Illegals "establishing root" in truth means nothing.
Who entered illegaly?
Who continued to defraud by lies and documents?
Who made this decision?

In other words who did what to whom?

You are holding U.S. citizens responsible for the actions and choices of others.

Who put their children in what condition?
Shame on those parents!!!

Boy I was right, you have no concept of personal responsibility at all.
And you keep proving it repeatedly.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:07 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,488,231 times
[quote=tinman01;14993214]The ever popular speeding analogy.
Actually a better analogy might be:
Entering someone elses house uninvited.
or for those who entered legally but over stay:
Invited to someones house but refuse to leave when asked to leave.
Illegals don't only commit the first crime of entering without a VISA, they compound their crime by committing many more in order to exist in this country illegally.
Of course the pro-illegale side might say well we can fix that by granting an amnesty. And of course they have a point.
The same point I might have if I said prisons are over populated and cost to much. To fix the problem we can grant a pardon to all behind bars.
Rewarding criminal behavior is never the answer, it will only encourage more of the same behavior. We have proof of this after the last amnesty.[/quote

I really like your analogy. These illegals are entering our house uninvited. Or convenently overstay their welcome, Like what you have said. Exactly what you have said, ENTERING SOMEONE ELSES HOUSE UNINVITED.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:15 PM

25,827 posts, read 20,767,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Look, get this through you head once and for all. Most Americans including myself do not object to a guest workers program where it is needed just as long as Americans are offered the jobs first at a fair wage. A guest worker program is a LEGAL way to come here and work. Jumping our borders without papers is not and it is called ILLEGAL immigration.

Legal immigrants and guest workers are not a burden to our society. Illegal aliens are.
Wow. Defensive much?

Old 07-12-2010, 03:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,269,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Exactly. The point being that it is not illegal to invite non-citizens into this country to work as was stated in the post I quoted, that said:

"Regardless the corporations, politicians, churches, etc. had no right to "invite" them as it is against the law and the illegals had no right to accept any so-called invitations."
Pretty much a blanket statement there. There was certainly no qualifier that noted the government guest worker program.

Here's a question: how many people would look at these guest workers and know without a shadow of a doubt that they are guest workers and not illegals? I bet not many. And how many actually believe that they have a right to be in this country working? I'll bet not many again. How many believe, despite all evidence to the contrary, that these people are taking 'our' jobs. Here, I'd bet a lot. Probably the same people who believe the AZ governor about beheaded bodies in the desert.
Sad.
But it is illegal to hire them without proper documentation. It is also illegal to shelter them, facilitate them or provide false documentation which some churches have been known to do.
Its also illegal to transport them accross the border. Yes some churches and private citizens have done this also.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:02 PM

50,549 posts, read 47,368,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
ZZZZ.... oh, huh, what? "Family oriented and tight knit!" What nice people! Religious to boot! Wow!!

As someone who is socially liberal, I don't understand how many "open borders" liberals work past the conflict in agendas. How do we embrace multiculturalism (and thus, satisfy the overwhelming desire of white liberals to be seen as accepting and have an open society), yet react when those we embrace may not share the other tenants of liberalism?

Liberal democrats who are so short sighted and hug every brown person for the sake of their brownness are some of the most contemptuous of idiots. As if just because someone is "Hispanic" they're going to be open and accepting and love everyone else? That is such a privileged American, middle class condescending (usually white) perspective. How many times must it be shown that minority democrats usually vote for diversity so long and as far as it effects and protects THEM, and that homosexual rights, abortion, etc. are not exactly darling issues of the black, Hispanic communities? People are people. They all look out for their own.

We have enough of our own "family values" types of ALL colors in America. I don't need nor want anymore superstitious, family values yahoos increasing their representation in this country, no matter where they come from. I would prefer my country to be socially open like Europe, and not repressed and backwards like Catholic Latin America thankyouverymuch.

Wow. What a very unsophisticated and childish perspective.

By the way, you do realize that along with "open borders" there was "0 social services." Nobody cared if 20 people shared a tenemant building, or if 8 year olds went to work in factories. There was no foodstamps, WIC, guaranteed hospital care, subsidized housing, etc. etc. etc.

Oh yeah, also this desire to BECOME American and not just be "Ethnic Group XYZ" in America?

This isn't 1900.
This is a very good summary! Rep points.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,957,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Wow. Defensive much?
i agree with chicagonut, i have worked with guest workers that come in from around the world, i even dated one from jamaica(a fine lady). they were all here legally, and they all worked hard at their jobs. i made friends with many of them. i, like many americans, have NO problem at all with legal immigrants, whether they come in for seasonal work or they come here to stay. as long as they do it legally they are fine. it is the illegal ones that basically thumb their noses at our immigration laws, and expect us to take care of them that i object to. i especially object to those that come here to commit crimes against americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration