Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 07:24 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,899,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Could be they have been influenced by our Statue of Liberty? She is leaving the light on for 'em and all ...
No not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 08:15 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,617,168 times
Quote:
Could be they have been influenced by our Statue of Liberty? She is leaving the light on for 'em and all ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
No not really.
I guess it really just boils down to one's own humanity, in how they interpret the Statue of Liberty and what America means to them and how they wish for the u.s. to portray to others around the world in other countries.

The Immigrant's Statue

"Connections drawn between the Statue of Liberty and immigration were not always positive. Nativists (Americans who opposed immigration) linked the Statue to immigration most starkly in political cartoons critiquing foreigners' threats to American liberties and values. They portrayed the monument as a symbol of a nation besieged by pollution, housing shortages, disease, and the onslaught of anarchists, communists, and other alleged subversives."
_______

I do know one thing, people wouldn't come here if they were not desperate to live. Because any one who knows anything about the u.s knows, this is not the land of opportunity that is being sold to the masses. Only those who are truly desperate are the only ones that would even think about it. A move to the u.s., is just geography.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:38 AM

35,262 posts, read 17,150,610 times
Quote:
I guess it really just boils down to one's own humanity, in how they interpret the Statue of Liberty and what America means to them and how they wish for the u.s. to portray to others around the world in other countries.

The Immigrant's Statue

"Connections drawn between the Statue of Liberty and immigration were not always positive. Nativists (Americans who opposed immigration) linked the Statue to immigration most starkly in political cartoons critiquing foreigners' threats to American liberties and values. They portrayed the monument as a symbol of a nation besieged by pollution, housing shortages, disease, and the onslaught of anarchists, communists, and other alleged subversives."
_______

I do know one thing, people wouldn't come here if they were not desperate to live. Because any one who knows anything about the u.s knows, this is not the land of opportunity that is being sold to the masses. Only those who are truly desperate are the only ones that would even think about it. A move to the u.s., is just geography.
I applaud the sentiments in this post. I do not applaud the lack of practicality. The photograph on today's New York Times' front page (below at bottom of post) shows approximately 4200 people on the bridge connecting Guatemala to Mexico. The articles about this are heartrending, see Why this mom was hanging on a ladder under a bridge between Guatemala and Mexico.

The problem is that notwithstanding the noble sentiments, the migrants are going to have to be housed in some city, town or village. Some school district is going to have to build more classrooms, and hire more teachers. And these migrants are not, at least initially, going to have any money to pay any taxes, hospital bills or even for groceries. The way the U.S. works this comes first out of local budgets, with some state and/or federal help down the road. Someone has to cut the first checks.

The reason that outlaw sheriff in Arizona, Sheriff Arpaio, was trying to enforce Federal border laws (and was slapped down doing it) is that he didn't feel that the Arizona taxpayers and localities should have to pony up. Even under Obama the Congress wouldn't.

Are there solutions other than appeals to neighborliness and compassion?

Last edited by jbgusa; 10-22-2018 at 10:07 AM..

Old 10-22-2018, 08:40 AM

12,045 posts, read 6,594,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Does that mean they're all still on their way here? I thought they were turned back by Mexican police? Women, children, young men, whomever all need to go back, we have too many illegals here already.
The Mexican police are standing down. Journalists took pictures of a mother with child that got tear gassed and the liberal Mexicans went crazy — really bad PR for politicians. And now masses of Mexican citizens are showing up in solidarity and cheering them on and supporting these criminal invaders on their march.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:09 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,048,383 times
Trump tweeted that this is now a national emergency situation. Putting politics, morals, ideologies, etc aside, isn't this really not a big deal to stop? I mean I understand the numbers are way too much for the border patrol, but assuming the USA gets the military there in time, the caravan should be easily stopped.

Is my train of thought valid? Again I am not trying to debate right or wrong, assuming Trump really doesn't want this caravan inside the USA, it is a fairly simple problem to solve.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:40 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,510,912 times
Put them "migrants" to work building that wall.
They wanted construction jobs...so there ya go.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:43 AM

405 posts, read 258,436 times
You can be quite sure that people all over Latin America are watching to see how this goes. There's a few million in Venezuela right now who are looking to flee.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:55 AM

22,511 posts, read 12,057,887 times
Quote:
_______

Per the bolded --- Oh please! Just take a good look at these people. They are well dressed and none of them are starving. Do you really think that those who are coming here to cause harm (MS-13/ISIS) are "desperate to live"?

As for "just geography" --- more nonsense. If it were a matter of "just geography", then they would have asked Mexico for asylum. After all, Mexico, in the past, has given asylum to many. As for "just geography", why aren't they going to Costa Rica or Panama?

We all know the answer to these questions --- They want the US for all the freebies and a chance to drop an anchor baby.

Despite what you long for --- We can't take in the entire third world without descending into third world status ourselves. I know I want better than that for my descendants. Don't you want the same for yours?

Old 10-22-2018, 12:08 PM

1,378 posts, read 739,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I applaud the sentiments in this post. I do not applaud the lack of practicality. The photograph on today's New York Times' front page (below at bottom of post) shows approximately 4200 people on the bridge connecting Guatemala to Mexico. The articles about this are heartrending, see Why this mom was hanging on a ladder under a bridge between Guatemala and Mexico.

The problem is that notwithstanding the noble sentiments, the migrants are going to have to be housed in some city, town or village. Some school district is going to have to build more classrooms, and hire more teachers. And these migrants are not, at least initially, going to have any money to pay any taxes, hospital bills or even for groceries. The way the U.S. works this comes first out of local budgets, with some state and/or federal help down the road. Someone has to cut the first checks.

The reason that outlaw sheriff in Arizona, Sheriff Arpaio, was trying to enforce Federal border laws (and was slapped down doing it) is that he didn't feel that the Arizona taxpayers and localities should have to pony up. Even under Obama the Congress wouldn't.

Are there solutions other than appeals to neighborliness and compassion?

Build schools and hire more teachers? Sounds like creating jobs to me!

Old 10-22-2018, 12:14 PM

405 posts, read 258,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded --- Oh please! Just take a good look at these people. They are well dressed and none of them are starving.

I said the same with the European migrant crisis. After walking for weeks through a half dozen countries, over mountains and through forests and rivers, they arrived in spotless clothes, phones fully charged and looking healthy as can be - including 70 year old women. The African migrants were all wearing new winter clothes. Seems very weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration