Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Or
We can sort through them for anyone with a valid VISA and turn the rest around.
There is no requirement for a valid visa to claim asylum. It may well be impossible for an asylum seeker to obtain a passport any more a visa,

An asylum seeker presents themselves at a border crossing and requests asylum. The US then listens to their story and looks at their evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 09:45 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,872,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
Neither is anyone else here. If a citizen is caught shooting someone coming across the border, that us MURDER. What are you going to do? Shoot men, women and children? How christian of you.
Quit with your LAME excuses for these ignorant criminals.

There is a separation of government and religion ( Christianity) in this country.

And you would be incorrect about these"people" there are criminals among them that have been deported multiple times. https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...me-to-go-back/ And multitudes of other degenerates.

Why don't these LOSERS stay in Mexico or march on their own governments? If it's that bad why do these idiots keep pumping out kids they can't feed?

BTW if THEY forcibly try and invade the USA they get what's ever coming to them. These lowlife cowards need to stop hiding behind their children and intentionally putting the in harm's way PERIOD !!!

Old 10-22-2018, 09:57 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Quit with your LAME excuses for these ignorant criminals.

There is a separation of government and religion ( Christianity) in this country.

And you would be incorrect about these"people" there are criminals among them that have been deported multiple times. https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...me-to-go-back/ And multitudes of other degenerates.

Why don't these LOSERS stay in Mexico or march on their own governments? If it's that bad why do these idiots keep pumping out kids they can't feed?

BTW if THEY forcibly try and invade the USA they get what's ever coming to them. These lowlife cowards need to stop hiding behind their children and intentionally putting the in harm's way PERIOD !!!
I ran out of rep or I would have repped you Well said!

Old 10-22-2018, 10:00 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,287,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
There is no requirement for a valid visa to claim asylum. It may well be impossible for an asylum seeker to obtain a passport any more a visa,

An asylum seeker presents themselves at a border crossing and requests asylum. The US then listens to their story and looks at their evidence.
Even you say border crossing, of which there are a handful. The length of a border is not a border crossing. But as someone in a different thread posted, the US didn't sign that treaty and the majority of seeking asylum don't qualify. That's means most of those in the caravan aren't asylum seekers, they just think they will get in.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I guess it really just boils down to one's own humanity, in how they interpret the Statue of Liberty and what America means to them and how they wish for the u.s. to portray to others around the world in other countries.

The Immigrant's Statue

"Connections drawn between the Statue of Liberty and immigration were not always positive. Nativists (Americans who opposed immigration) linked the Statue to immigration most starkly in political cartoons critiquing foreigners' threats to American liberties and values. They portrayed the monument as a symbol of a nation besieged by pollution, housing shortages, disease, and the onslaught of anarchists, communists, and other alleged subversives."
_______

I do know one thing, people wouldn't come here if they were not desperate to live. Because any one who knows anything about the u.s knows, this is not the land of opportunity that is being sold to the masses. Only those who are truly desperate are the only ones that would even think about it. A move to the u.s., is just geography.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I applaud the sentiments in this post. I do not applaud the lack of practicality. The photograph on today's New York Times' front page (below at bottom of post) shows approximately 4200 people on the bridge connecting Guatemala to Mexico. The articles about this are heartrending, see Why this mom was hanging on a ladder under a bridge between Guatemala and Mexico.

The problem is that notwithstanding the noble sentiments, the migrants are going to have to be housed in some city, town or village. Some school district is going to have to build more classrooms, and hire more teachers. And these migrants are not, at least initially, going to have any money to pay any taxes, hospital bills or even for groceries. The way the U.S. works this comes first out of local budgets, with some state and/or federal help down the road. Someone has to cut the first checks.

The reason that outlaw sheriff in Arizona, Sheriff Arpaio, was trying to enforce Federal border laws (and was slapped down doing it) is that he didn't feel that the Arizona taxpayers and localities should have to pony up. Even under Obama the Congress wouldn't.

Are there solutions other than appeals to neighborliness and compassion?
I'm sure you do applaud the sentiment in that post of mine, because the part I quoted from the article are the sentiments that still carry today, from a vast amount of Native born Americans such as yourself.

I don't know if you realize this or not, but people who are native born Americans are not having babies. Since 1910, the population of native born, vs foreign, has always been fewer. By how much? I'm too tired at the time of the post to go look it up. However, I did a little research, as I had cause to do so and pulled some census data on the u.s. population around the time of the great depression. As I was making my chart, what I noticed was odd. The u.s. born population was less than, immigrant and foreign born, so much so I had to invert the chart I was making. Any way what does this have to do with the price of beans in China, you may wonder?

If the u.s. native born Americans are not creating a work force, that work force has to come from somewhere. If there are fewer workers, that means there is fewer taxes, with fewer taxes comes a pay cut for those gov. representatives that enjoy a nice fat check. I'm quite sure they get pay raises, not cuts, whatever the case maybe.
Quote:
Are there solutions other than appeals to neighborliness and compassion?
What other appeal is there? If you and any one else are able to walk down the street without fear of being shot, raped or otherwise accosted by a gang member, then you do not know what it is like to walk in their shoes. Perhaps people living in Chicago (so I've heard) may get it, idk. If you do not know what it is like to feel oppressed by a government (people in the u.s should, but they don't) then you don't get those folks either. If you don't know what it is like to have to wait for the all clear; shelling has stopped, so as you can send your children to school for the day, you don't know what it is like to be those people either.

Even though we cannot solve the problems in other countries, so as these people will stop being desperate to come to the u.s., we can help some of them, the same as we might help a family member or a neighbor, if we were called on to do so.

The only other thing I can say on this topic, the only other comment I can make, is a question ... what if this was you?

Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,287,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
These folk are not enemies. They are recruits...volunteers...want they and their children to become Americans and pursue the dream.

Not in any way suggesting that we must or should accept their offer. We should not however denigrate them for making it. Sort through and accept those with a real problem remaining and turn the others around.

And do it all in a kind and gentle way showing the basic humanity which we hold dear.
You can call them what you want, recruits, future patriots, otherwise-law-abiding. There is criteria for legally immigrating into the country, most of those people don't qualify. For a good reason, no country in the world wants a mass influx of poor uneducated unskilled people.

I can't even understand why anyone would encourage a mass influx of uneducated unskilled poor people and then call them "recruits".

Old 10-22-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
_______

I do know one thing, people wouldn't come here if they were not desperate to live. Because any one who knows anything about the u.s knows, this is not the land of opportunity that is being sold to the masses. Only those who are truly desperate are the only ones that would even think about it. A move to the u.s., is just geography.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded --- Oh please! Just take a good look at these people. They are well dressed and none of them are starving. Do you really think that those who are coming here to cause harm (MS-13/ISIS) are "desperate to live"?

As for "just geography" --- more nonsense. If it were a matter of "just geography", then they would have asked Mexico for asylum. After all, Mexico, in the past, has given asylum to many. As for "just geography", why aren't they going to Costa Rica or Panama?

We all know the answer to these questions --- They want the US for all the freebies and a chance to drop an anchor baby.

Despite what you long for --- We can't take in the entire third world without descending into third world status ourselves. I know I want better than that for my descendants. Don't you want the same for yours?
"just geography"

In other words ... the conditions they left, they will have the same in the u.s. And if you do not know that's right, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
You can call them what you want, recruits, future patriots, otherwise-law-abiding. There is criteria for legally immigrating into the country, most of those people don't qualify. For a good reason, no country in the world wants a mass influx of poor uneducated unskilled people.

I can't even understand why anyone would encourage a mass influx of uneducated unskilled poor people and then call them "recruits".
How do you know they are unskilled?

Old 10-22-2018, 10:11 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What inflammatory rhetoric towards Mexico is Trump guilty of?
google it

Old 10-22-2018, 10:15 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Even you say border crossing, of which there are a handful. The length of a border is not a border crossing. But as someone in a different thread posted, the US didn't sign that treaty and the majority of seeking asylum don't qualify. That's means most of those in the caravan aren't asylum seekers, they just think they will get in.
The US didn't sign what treaty? As far as asylum seekers, they can apply at a port of entry, or they can enter the US illegally between ports of entry and while guilty of being in the US without authorization, they can still apply for asylum and have a year to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration