Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2018, 09:10 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Well I certainly agree with you there. There's a lot of them working in the weed industry up in our national forests,lol. This is cartel country, but I'm hoping that with the passage of recreational marijuana and a local dispensary, that the cartels' business will suffer from legal competition and they'll move on to greener pastures.

I don't live in Tulare. I live in Porterville which is in Tulare County. Our immigrant population works more in the service industry than ag...think lawn service, construction, motel and food services. The area of ag would be mostly in the citrus industry and the farmers have to take whoever the farm labor contractors bring to them. The labor contractors are supposed to vet the workers, but I don't they do a very good job of it. Most of the other types of agriculture here are mechanized.

How are we the problem if they're here and not where you are?
Ohh we certainly have them. LV is about 40% Hispanic. But here the illegals are lost in a vaster population of legals And no one recruits them. The unions are very sensitive on the issue and they keep the non union shops honest. None of the big employers want to get caught with any significant illegal employees.

So you have agricultural industries dependent on the illegals. We don't.

Our illegals work in construction crews which are mostly legal...and in all the ugh jobs...janitorial, dish washers etc. But virtually no significant corporate direct employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 09:46 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Ya shuuure, you betcha!
Glad to hear that you are finally going to do something and are finally putting your money where your mouth is.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:29 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,477,592 times
The further north they travel, the more American sympathy and support for them will grow. Doing anything other then refusing them and turning them around at our border via military power will be ringing the dinner bell for more in the future.

We cannot back down. I'm sorry Trump is put in this position, but he's got to keep them out.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:54 AM

62,973 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Well, hopefully they're dispersing to other states. It would be fairer if California, Arizona, and Texas didn't have to take the brunt of the influx.

However, it's not declining in my area.

The illegal population is not down in Calif. if anything it has increased with the encouragement of sanctuary cities in this state.

Our schools are overcrowded with these kids so it makes no sense to bring in more to replace those who may have left the state with their parents. That's a crazy idea. Also, with those who do leave will make it less necessary to build more schools and our school budgets would decrease saving us tax dollars.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:07 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
But if they admit these are simply hard working folk looking for a job and a safe environment they compromise their resistance to the immigrants. I fully agree we must limit and control immigration. But we need to admit the vast majority of those desirous of coming are nice hard working people trying to join the American dream.

I actually agree with Oldglory we need to limit and control immigration and that all illegal immigration needs to be stopped. But i will not demonize those coming to support that view. Our big problem is the massive illegal demographic already here. And the only rational way to control it is to legalize most.
How do you know that most of the caravaners are "hard working folk looking for a job and a safe environment"? Your idealizing them as such does not necessarily make it so. I don't know any of them personally (and I'm betting you don't either), so I can only draw conclusions from what I've seen. And what I've seen so far is a mob who bursts through barriers, assaults police officers, and loots stores. The "vast majority" does not seem very "nice" to me.

In any case, there is absolutely nothing "rational" about controlling illegal immigration by legalizing the illegals that are already here. Do you not see that doing so would only encourage more illegal immigration? If you reward something, you tend to get more of it. Conversely, if you penalize something, you tend to get less of it. Illegal immigrants shouldn't be rewarded with anything, much less legalization. They should be blocked from entering, and those who are already here should be made uncomfortable enough to induce them to leave.

For any who are "nice hard working people trying to join the American dream," let them do it by the proper, legal channels.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:28 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times
There's something the Left hasn't thought through with their orchestrated migrant caravan.

Picture this: Not only will the US Army back up the Border Patrol, but a soon to be formed wave of angry Americans will back up the Army! This will be played out in border towns across the South.

Can't understand why the Democrats want to push this.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-25-2018, 12:30 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
How do you know that most of the caravaners are "hard working folk looking for a job and a safe environment"? Your idealizing them as such does not necessarily make it so. I don't know any of them personally (and I'm betting you don't either), so I can only draw conclusions from what I've seen. And what I've seen so far is a mob who bursts through barriers, assaults police officers, and loots stores. The "vast majority" does not seem very "nice" to me.

In any case, there is absolutely nothing "rational" about controlling illegal immigration by legalizing the illegals that are already here. Do you not see that doing so would only encourage more illegal immigration? If you reward something, you tend to get more of it. Conversely, if you penalize something, you tend to get less of it. Illegal immigrants shouldn't be rewarded with anything, much less legalization. They should be blocked from entering, and those who are already here should be made uncomfortable enough to induce them to leave.

For any who are "nice hard working people trying to join the American dream," let them do it by the proper, legal channels.
Or better yet, these mostly young men should grow a pair and stay and fix their own country.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:33 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Default No Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
If people are going to be prejudice (pre judging) of people they really should figure out first what it is about the persons it is they don't like first.

I've seen comments that they are illiterate and uneducated, to, they are well dressed and not starving. Well dressed and not starving is an indication the people have a little bit more about them, than some one who is poor an uneducated. And if that is the case they would definitely be an asset to the u.s.

So which description of these people are we to believe? The comments are bouncing back and forth and no, they don't make any sense at all.

What are the conditions of Honduras, that would make these people want to leave, is the question I had; so I looked it up.

Forget Trump Hysteria, Here’s How the Migrant Caravan ‘Crisis’ Really Began

What I see is, if this was going on in America, we'd be hauling butt too. And then when I think about I wounder too, how many Americans migrate out of America each year? That's a question that is difficult to answer, because it isn't important enough to our politics for gov agencies to keep track. Or it could be our government doesn't want us to know, because more people might get the bright idea that the u.s. isn't all that and life elsewhere might be better had.

To be honest, imo, people are getting all red in the face over nothing ... they are 'people' tired of living a $hit life and decided to try and doing something about it. No different from any one else, if faced with the same conditions and the same choice. No different than the Americans that already do, migrate out of the u.s. each year. The only exception is ... no one talks about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Maybe YOU would be "hauling butt" and taking the coward's way out but for many of us, we would stay and push back. America has experienced many crisis points in her history and has pushed through them all. For example, instead of cutting and running, Americans fought in 2 world wars. They also volunteered to fight in other wars. They hung in there through the Great Depression instead of cutting and running. Why don't you hold people in this caravan accountable? Why don't you expect them to work to better their own countries?

Too bad those people "are tired of living a $hit life". That's not our problem. We have many Americans who live "$hit lives" that need help. Charity starts at home. We have poor, law-abiding people who live in gang infested areas and are constantly fearful. Do you think that they should form caravans and force their way into Canada? We have veterans who suffer from PTSD and end up homeless. Do you think that they should form caravans and force their way into Canada?

As for American expats, currently 9 million live outside the US for varied reasons. No doubt, most of them moved to other countries legally. In other words, they didn't band together and force their way into another country.

Once again---we can't take in the entire third world without descending into third world status ourselves. I want better than that for my descendants.

The question for you is: Why don't you want that for your descendants?

Do you seriously think that we have unlimited potable water and buildable land? How many people will be too many for you? 1 billion? In India, Bangalore doesn't have enough potable water for its population. Is this the future you want for the US?
Unintended Consequences of US Immigration Policy: Explaining the Post-1965 Surge from Latin America
"In the United States, especially, immigrants carry significant symbolic weight in the narrative of American peoplehood (Smith 1997, 2003), and how they are depicted in the media, portrayed by politicians, and treated by legislators probably reveals more about America’s aspirations and hopes—and its fears and insecurities—than anything to do with immigration itself (Tichenor 2002; Ngai 2003)." my bold for emphasis ...

Old 10-25-2018, 12:36 PM

62,973 posts, read 29,162,429 times
What part of we don't have jobs for these people don't these bleeding hearts get? What does it matter if one is hard working if we don't have jobs for them? More people means more demands on our social and natural resources also. That goes for both illegal aliens and those trying to claim asylum in our country.

There is nothing rational nor fair to have another massive amnesty and one reason is that Americans need their jobs back. Legalizing them does not "control" it. It just changes from calling them illegal to legal. They would still be here!

Old 10-25-2018, 12:38 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Or better yet, these mostly young men should grow a pair and stay and fix their own country.
Like the men have always done in the u.s.?
Conscription
"Conscription is the mandatory enlistment in a country’s armed forces, and is sometimes referred to as “the draft.”"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration