Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the Southwest "morally" belongs to the Mexicans?
Yes, its their land that we took. 12 11.54%
No, we won it fair and square. 87 83.65%
Not sure, dont really know the whole situation. 5 4.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:28 PM

299 posts, read 548,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually it was clearly Polks intent to absorb Mexico. He was had by his negotiator and the legislative branch.

Why would I be outraged against Spain? I do not live in Spain. I am not even outraged against the US. Just not willing to spin an act by our predecessors that reaks of unwarranted conquest as a principled act. It was robbery and we got away with it.

This entire discussion is of course absurd. We had no right to do it...did it anyway...and it is no longer reversible if it ever was.

It was not nor will it ever be a righteous act.

I am not even sure that you can hold any nation to moral standards. They are amoral of their very nature. Perhaps some of the leadership are accountable but when the people will it? I don't think so...
I guess that you think it is moral and righteous for those illegals to come to our country without permission though. Yeah, right!!!!

We won the war that Mexico started and even paid them gold for what became part of our country. If you are upset because Mexico can't protect themselves, then take it out on them and stop quoting revisionist history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:29 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,329,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post
I guess that you think it is moral and righteous for those illegals to come to our country without permission though. Yeah, right!!!!

We won the war that Mexico started and even paid them gold for what became part of our country. If you are upset because Mexico can't protect themselves, then take it out on them and stop quoting revisionist history.

Ulysses S. Grant is a reviiionist historian? The mind boggles at how little some of you know.

For a Mexican to cross the border is certainly illegal. It may however be quite moral. Evading detection is likely moral. And our apprehension and deportation of an illegal is also moral and righteous.

The objections I have to deportation are entirely practical. If we had done it in 1989 it likely would have stuck. At this point it is a fairy tale...right up there with self deportation and the wall working.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:31 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,592,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Ulysses S. Grant is a reviiionist historian? The mind boggles at how little some of you know.

For a Mexican to cross the border is certainly illegal. It may however be quite moral. Evading detection is likely moral. And our apprehension and deportation of an illegal is also moral and righteous.

The objections I have to deportation are entirely practical. If we had done it in 1989 it likely would have stuck. At this point it is a fairy tale...right up there with self deportation and the wall working.
Your point is disturbing, yet entirely within the realm of logic. Obviously, at one point or another, the illegal immigration 'mess' is going to reach such a stage that it becomes irreversible. That's pretty much beyond argument. Your post seems to suggest that this point has already been reached, and I'm inclined to think you may be right.

Not what many of us want to hear, but it's pretty obvious that even if we DO admit there's a problem, and we DO resolve to take control of it, some things just can't be 'undone'. ONE of those things, I've long predicted, will be a breakdown in our respect for the legal system. After a decade or two of watching our leaders openly 'flout' immigration law, with both sides of the aisle shamelessly pandering to Big Business, we'll never again be able to 'trust' in them quite the way we might once have. THAT part is certainly irreversible.....along with a lot of OTHER things.

I'll agree also on your take on the "Moral" angle. While I think we're still a 'good' country, with a lot of sense of conscience, and generally 'good' intentions, we can hardly stand on 'morals' for most of what we do as a society anymore. Some time ago, we made great efforts to remove what 'morality' we ever did have in our government, to the point we'd be hard pressed these days to agree on what 'morals' even are anymore.

Last edited by macmeal; 07-13-2008 at 07:39 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Your point is disturbing, yet entirely within the realm of logic. Obviously, at one point or another, the illegal immigration 'mess' is going to reach such a stage that it becomes irreversible. That's pretty much beyond argument. Your post seems to suggest that this point has already been reached, and I'm inclined to think you may be right.

Not what many of us want to hear, but it's pretty obvious that even if we DO admit there's a problem, and we DO resolve to take control of it, some things just can't be 'undone'. ONE of those things, I've long predicted, will be a breakdown in our respect for the legal system. After a decade or two of watching our leaders openly 'flout' immigration law, with both sides of the aisle shamelessly pandering to Big Business, we'll never again be able to 'trust' in them quite the way we might once have. THAT part is certainly irreversible.....along with a lot of OTHER things.

I'll agree also on your take on the "Moral" angle. While I think we're still a 'good' country, with a lot of sense of conscience, and generally 'good' intentions, we can hardly stand on 'morals' for most of what we do as a society anymore. Some time ago, we made great efforts to remove what 'morality' we ever did have in our government, to the point we'd be hard pressed these days to agree on what 'morals' even are anymore.
I do take your point and of course importing even more non-moral people does not help us, hence the criminals that come here illegally, commonly called illegal aliens.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:47 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,766,394 times
Quote:
I do take your point and of course importing even more non-moral people does not help us, hence the criminals that come here illegally, commonly called illegal aliens.
Did you hear something fly right over your head? What was that? A bird? A frisbee?

Old 07-13-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Did you hear something fly right over your head? What was that? A bird? A frisbee?
Nope, probably what brain you had. Thanks for playing but you lost.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:45 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,766,394 times
Quote:
Nope, probably what brain you had. Thanks for playing but you lost.
But I didn't lose my braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa...............*

Old 07-14-2008, 09:47 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,391,868 times
IMO if it belongs to anyone at all, it belongs to the Amerindians. The Spanish took it from them through trickery and genocide then we did the same to the Hispanics..not to mention what was done to the Amerindians by the Anglos.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:11 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,850,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Personally, I say no. Lands are won and lost by war and conflict. Thats how countires have grown, formed, and expanded in the past. Oh well.

Besides, if they get the Southwest back, what are they going to do with it? They will be back in Mexico, and jump over the new border. This crap that "its our territory" is dumb because they know that if they get it back for Mexico, they will be in the same situation they escaped from.

i always said the bold....but before that happeni think anything american made should be destroyed-infanstruture,rail etc make it a desert again

Old 07-15-2008, 07:30 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,239,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
i always said the bold....but before that happeni think anything american made should be destroyed-infanstruture,rail etc make it a desert again
And Mexico would scream 35 ways from Sunday about the 'injustice' of it all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration