Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the Southwest "morally" belongs to the Mexicans?
Yes, its their land that we took. 12 11.54%
No, we won it fair and square. 87 83.65%
Not sure, dont really know the whole situation. 5 4.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:18 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,217,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Maybe we should all go back and claim land that belonged to our ancestors. I like the idea -- 200 years ago an ancestor of mine in England owned a huge house that is now a museum. I like it. I like the land that it sits on too. Now who was the nasty person who took MY house and land away? I'm going to claim it back.

How stupid. Throughout the course of history lands have been been taken over by others -- where would it stop? Everyone, check your genealogy and you'll see that YOUR land was taken too. Does any government feel morally obligated to return OUR lands to us? LOL
As you stated.

My family lost everything in Hungary back in 1945-48 when the Communists came to power.

Oh well-------life goes on.

More importantly; those cultures that have a 'can do' attitude tend to rebuild their societies once back at peace (Jews come to mind) whereas other cultures, even if everything was handed to them on a silver platter will continue to live like trash (the Irish till 100 years ago come to mind-----when they collectively changed their basic mindset from chaos to self discipline).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:49 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,306,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As you stated.

My family lost everything in Hungary back in 1945-48 when the Communists came to power.

Oh well-------life goes on.

More importantly; those cultures that have a 'can do' attitude tend to rebuild their societies once back at peace (Jews come to mind) whereas other cultures, even if everything was handed to them on a silver platter will continue to live like trash (the Irish till 100 years ago come to mind-----when they collectively changed their basic mindset from chaos to self discipline).
Cite a source. I very much doubt you grasp of Irish socio-economic history after watching your complete misunderstanding of where you live.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Cite a source. I very much doubt you grasp of Irish socio-economic history after watching your complete misunderstanding of where you live.
Google is your friend.

Here is a link for you:

CIA World Factbook

$43,100 per capita ain't chicken feed.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Google is your friend.

Here is a link for you:

CIA World Factbook

$43,100 per capita ain't chicken feed.
You really believe the CIA Fact Book is a source for Irish socio-economic history?

You do need help.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You really believe the CIA Fact Book is a source for Irish socio-economic history?

You do need help.
olecapt: considering you are nothing more than a Troll, you have been reported.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
olecapt: considering you are nothing more than a Troll, you have been reported.

I would think that was not very bright. Demeaning the Irish is generally a dumb thing to do....

Old 07-12-2008, 04:39 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,763,293 times
Back to the OP, just curious, since people were quoting Teddy Roosevelt, what do guys you think of these quotes by another great general(of later civil war fame) on the Mexican-American War?

Quote:
[edit] General Ulysses S. Grant's views about the war

President Ulysses S. Grant, who as a young army officer had served in Mexico under General Taylor, recalled in his Memoirs, published in 1885, that:
"Generally, the officers of the army were indifferent whether the annexation was consummated or not; but not so all of them. For myself, I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation. It was an instance of a republic following the bad example of European monarchies, in not considering justice in their desire to acquire additional territory." [19]
Grant also expressed the view that the war against Mexico had brought God's punishment on the United States in the form of the American Civil War:
"The Southern rebellion was largely the outgrowth of the Mexican war. Nations, like individuals, are punished for their transgressions. We got our punishment in the most sanguinary and expensive war of modern times." [20]
In 1879, while in China during his post presidential world tour, Grant told John Russell Young: "I had very strong opinions on the subject. I do not think there was ever a more wicked war than that waged by the United States on Mexico. I had a horror of the Mexican War, and I have always believed that it was on our part most unjust. The wickedness was not in the way our soldiers conducted it, but in the conduct of our government in declaring was. We had no claim on Mexico. Texas had no claim beyond the Nueces River, and yet we pushed on to the Rio Grande and crossed it. I am always ashamed of my country when I think of that invasion" [21].

[edit]

Old 07-12-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Back to the OP, just curious, since people were quoting Teddy Roosevelt, what do guys you think of these quotes by another great general(of later civil war fame) on the Mexican-American War?

[/b]
Point well taken: water under the bridge though.

Somehow I doubt the Hispanics/Portuguese felt that same way when they subjugated Latin America starting 1492.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:31 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,763,293 times
Quote:

Somehow I doubt the Hispanics/Portuguese felt that same way when they subjugated Latin America starting 1492.
Water under the bridge, pretty much what I said on my first post on this thread. But call it what it was. It was anything but "fair and square". It was pretty much a robbery.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:

So we can be a horrid nation as long as we can find some other nation who did the same or even worse?

Interesting standards you have...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration