Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:19 PM

385 posts, read 722,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
Try this link - snopes.com: Bank of America Credit Cards for Illegals
(FYI - I know its OLD NEWS)

What do you mean "How does this make sense?"

Makes a LOT OF SENSE considering that an illegal I knew personally from Nicaragua did just that.

He ran up a lot of bills and bounced checks all over and disappeared back home after shipping a LOT of stuff to family that was still there so he had things when he got back home.
Already replied about this, read above posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Yep, there are plenty of homeless people who are happy to remain that way, usually your alcoholics and junkies. I've also been to Santa Monica, Venice Beach and Ventura. But, this does not take into account those who hit hard times and could find no help whatsoever from their own government or any "special interests" groups. Have you ever tried to get into a low income home or apartment because you had lost your job and you were also facing eviction or foreclosure? Many of those waiting lists are 10 years long, and I know for a FACT that those who provide low income have to put certain minority groups and illegals at the top of the list when it comes to offering housing. I personally know people who had to live in their car with their children. I know of homeless people right here in my town who are desperate to find a job and a home to get back on their feet. However, they can't collect welfare because they have no fixed address. They have no fixed address because they can't find a job to pay for it. These people are living in tents and boxes at the dry river bed. The shelters they use to sleep, shower and get a meal at are now closed for the season. Mentally ill patients are being released from hospitals and jails with nowhere else to go but the streets. Dealt with plenty of then while living in Van Nuys. But somehow illegals always find a way to get housing which someone else, ie. the tax payer, pays for. In the meantime, people like myself and my sister manage to take food and clothing to these people to help them out at least for a day, yet both of us are recently out of work and relying on just our husband's paychecks to survive. I would rather help America's homeless.
Dunno Americans dont even care for homeless in Santa Monica, or as I call it the People's Republic of Santa Monica. Last thing I heard is it's citizens were mad they were coming in record numbers and parking their crap on their streets. they even tried to ban overnight parking and tried to enforce parking by permit only.

LA City Council moves to ban RV overnight parking in certain areas | 89.3 KPCC

I mean if I was a bum Id move to Santa Monica, I get free sun all day, dont gotta burn paper in a trash can to keep warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 01:40 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,434,531 times
Quote:
Yep, there are plenty of homeless people who are happy to remain that way, usually your alcoholics and junkies. I've also been to Santa Monica, Venice Beach and Ventura. But, this does not take into account those who hit hard times and could find no help whatsoever from their own government or any "special interests" groups. Have you ever tried to get into a low income home or apartment because you had lost your job and you were also facing eviction or foreclosure? Many of those waiting lists are 10 years long, and I know for a FACT that those who provide low income have to put certain minority groups and illegals at the top of the list when it comes to offering housing. I personally know people who had to live in their car with their children. I know of homeless people right here in my town who are desperate to find a job and a home to get back on their feet. However, they can't collect welfare because they have no fixed address. They have no fixed address because they can't find a job to pay for it. These people are living in tents and boxes at the dry river bed. The shelters they use to sleep, shower and get a meal at are now closed for the season. Mentally ill patients are being released from hospitals and jails with nowhere else to go but the streets. Dealt with plenty of then while living in Van Nuys. But somehow illegals always find a way to get housing which someone else, ie. the tax payer, pays for. In the meantime, people like myself and my sister manage to take food and clothing to these people to help them out at least for a day, yet both of us are recently out of work and relying on just our husband's paychecks to survive.
Quote:
I would rather help America's homeless
I agree. I'll help any(non-anti) American who's willing to improve their life.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:36 PM

927 posts, read 1,459,508 times
Let me make partial comments on segments of your post.
Quote:
Yep, there are plenty of homeless people who are happy to remain that way, usually your alcoholics and junkies. I've also been to Santa Monica, Venice Beach and Ventura.
Okay - and unfortunately much of the handouts are focused on them - which is even Biblically wrong (another topic for another time)

Quote:
But, this does not take into account those who hit hard times and could find no help whatsoever from their own government or any "special interests" groups.
I have personally suggested in many on line communities and personal interaction's that those people need help and deserve help (much more than many habitual homeless)!

Because of the way I look and my unintentionally abrasive manor of talking - it falls on deaf ears as well. The cover of this book is misread and not about the status quo!

A solution I tried to get some interest in starting was a REAL community program where an elderly needs help maintaining their home for a discounted labor cost in trade for allowing people who need emergency help with bills to earn extra money to keep things covered. (yes - I know this description is very vague due to topic constraints on this thread)

Quote:
Have you ever tried to get into a low income home or apartment because you had lost your job and you were also facing eviction or foreclosure?
No - but I did look into renting to section 8 and the cost to me was potentially too high.
The loss in partial mortgage payments, and the damages that are caused because resentful people like to punch holes in walls and disrespect a home owner's property because some have and some don't.

When I was younger I knew many section 8 renters who chose NOT to improve their lives because it would cost them more in rent.
Used to live around some housing projects back home and other urban area's.

I used to be in those lifestyle circles - I know them too well.

Quote:
Many of those waiting lists are 10 years long, and I know for a FACT that those who provide low income have to put certain minority groups and illegals at the top of the list when it comes to offering housing. I personally know people who had to live in their car with their children. I know of homeless people right here in my town who are desperate to find a job and a home to get back on their feet. However, they can't collect welfare because they have no fixed address. They have no fixed address because they can't find a job to pay for it.
There were fixed address locations in many heavily homeless area's and the homeless STILL say there aren't - that is just part of the homeless game.

Quote:
These people are living in tents and boxes at the dry river bed. The shelters they use to sleep, shower and get a meal at are now closed for the season.
Closed for the season - never heard of that before except for inclement weather shelters. Those shelters typically take on the homeless who live in the bush and stairwells and what not. They ones who rather be drunk or stones instead of in a bunk bed or cot.

Quote:
Mentally ill patients are being released from hospitals and jails with nowhere else to go but the streets. Dealt with plenty of then while living in Van Nuys.
You would be surprised what options are available ... the game spins into detox centers, then Rehab facilities, and if they play it long enough and don't wear out their welcome it can turn into halfway homes after that.
Some also do things like shop lift a can of beer just to get caught and take a break from the streets and get a few meals and shower under their belt.

Quote:
But somehow illegals always find a way to get housing which someone else, ie. the tax payer, pays for. In the meantime, people like myself and my sister manage to take food and clothing to these people to help them out at least for a day, yet both of us are recently out of work and relying on just our husband's paychecks to survive. I would rather help America's homeless.
Illegals are part of the conundrum in our countries - especially when cities like San Fransisco are sanctuary Cities who chose to disregard and disrespect the laws of the land!

Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
Illegals are part of the conundrum in our countries - especially when cities like San Fransisco are sanctuary Cities who chose to disregard and disrespect the laws of the land!
California sanctuary cities

Bell Gardens, CA
City of Industry, CA
City of Commerce, CA
Cypress, CA
Davis CA
Downey, CA
Fresno, CA (6/13/07 Congressional Research Service)
Lakewood, CA
Los Angeles, CA (Congressional Research Service)
Long Beach, CA
Lynwood, CA
Maywood, CA
Montebello, CA
National City, CA
Norwalk, CA
Oakland, CA (Added 8-27-07. Source: 4/25/07 story by KCBS 740 AM. Link here.)
Paramount, CA
Pico Rivera, CA
Richmond, CA (Added 11-5-09. Sources: Mayor Gayle McLaughlin's campaign website from 2004, 2006)
So. Gate, CA
San Bernardino, Ca. (Added 6/7/07, reader submitted / 9/5/08 Listing disputed by the city administration* See addl.notes)
San Diego, CA (Congressional Research Service)
Santa Clara County, CA (Added 11-29-10, source: Forced into Immigration Enforcement, A County Considers Plan B, 10-21-10, Huffington Post.)
Santa Cruz, CA (Added 5/30/07, documented by KSBW news)
San Francisco, CA (Congressional Research Service)
San Jose, CA (6/13/07 Congressional Research Service)
Santa Maria, CA (11-18-08 Submitted research from local activist/ Listing disputed by the city administration)
Sonoma County, CA (Congressional Research Service)
Vernon, CA
Watsonville, CA (Added 5/30/07, documented by KSBW news)
Wilmington, CA

Old 04-13-2011, 05:26 AM

927 posts, read 1,459,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post

Bell Gardens, CA
City of Industry, CA
City of Commerce, CA
Cypress, CA
Davis CA
Downey, CA
Lakewood, CA
Long Beach, CA
Lynwood, CA
Maywood, CA
Montebello, CA
National City, CA
Norwalk, CA
Paramount, CA
Pico Rivera, CA
Richmond, CA (Added 11-5-09. Sources: Mayor Gayle McLaughlin's campaign website from 2004, 2006)
So. Gate, CA
San Bernardino, Ca. (Added 6/7/07, reader submitted / 9/5/08 Listing disputed by the city administration* See addl.notes)
Santa Clara County, CA (Added 11-29-10, source: Forced into Immigration Enforcement, A County Considers Plan B, 10-21-10, Huffington Post.)
Santa Maria, CA (11-18-08 Submitted research from local activist/ Listing disputed by the city administration)
Vernon, CA
Wilmington, CA
wow

okay - got an idea here
  1. Open the border
  2. Impose martial law on all of Mexico
  3. secure the southern borders with our military
  4. make them the new south.
  5. Grant them the right to be in America as they struggle to do (American Mexico ) Why let them take us over when we are big enough to take them over?

Old 04-13-2011, 05:35 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,837,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post

Bell Gardens, CA
City of Industry, CA
City of Commerce, CA
Cypress, CA
Davis CA
Downey, CA
Lakewood, CA
Long Beach, CA
Lynwood, CA
Maywood, CA
Montebello, CA
National City, CA
Norwalk, CA
Paramount, CA
Pico Rivera, CA
So. Gate, CA
Vernon, CA
Wilmington, CA
*Note: Not all listings have been independently confirmed by OJJPAC.

Uhmmm...Independently confirmed? why not just call the mayor up and ask? Are they Sanctuary cities or just being labled as such?

Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post

Uhmmm...Independently confirmed? why not just call the mayor up and ask? Are they Sanctuary cities or just being labled as such?
Their actions speak louder than words. Of course they are going to deny verbally that they are sanctuary cities.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post

If your so concerned about the accuracy, then you look it up and post
the ones that are official.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Their actions speak louder than words. Of course they are going to deny verbally that they are sanctuary cities.
Well said.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:24 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,837,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Oh so they are not like San Fransico that proclaim what they are...they are hiding? Sneeky... Since you seem to know so much about "outting" cities, what does a city have to do to be labled a Sanctuary city?

Is there a check list of infractions? Who gets to decide what a "Sanctuary city" infraction is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration