Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,178,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
I guess we have a hard time understanding that mentality until we're in that position right?

But I guess this country is full of examples since it is almost exclusively made up of people who ran away from a life that wasn't exactly what they would have planned for themselves, instead of working to insure that life would be better for their children and their children's children.

Maybe the vast majority of people in this country ran away to the United States because they found that to be the best way to insure a better life for their children, children's children.
Virtually all people who came here once we were an independent nation did so legally.

Very few Americans 'immigrate' to other nations illegally------------can Mexico (the biggest source of the above criminals) make that same claim??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 05:47 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,289,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Virtually all people who came here once we were an independent nation did so legally.

Very few Americans 'immigrate' to other nations illegally------------can Mexico (the biggest source of the above criminals) make that same claim??
But that really wasn't the point, now was it?

Old 12-05-2008, 05:52 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,758,542 times
Quote:
But that really wasn't the point, now was it?
In a manner of speaking, you made it the point.

However, I'd still like to know if your altruism extends beyond SOB or if you reserve your humanity for those SOB.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
In a manner of speaking, you made it the point.

However, I'd still like to know if your altruism extends beyond SOB or if you reserve your humanity for those SOB.
I think the point was your discussing of the character flaw of people who are moving here instead of fixing their problems at home, which incidentally, is a flaw that many who have made this country possessed.
I just made an observation regarding your point.

As far as the extent of my altruism, I think you'd be better off just settling on an assumption. It'd save us a whole lot of time instead of discussing it, because we know that's what it's going to end up being.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:04 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,585,798 times
Quote:
I think the point was your discussing of the character flaw of people who are moving here instead of fixing their problems at home, which incidentally, is a flaw that many who have made this country possessed.

As far as the extent of my altruism, I think you'd be better off just settling on an assumption. It'd save us a whole lot of time instead of discussing it, because we know that's what it's going to end up being.
I’m totally confused. I thought the purpose of being on this forum is to “discuss” the issue of illegal immigration. Kele asked a legitimate question. If you don’t want to participate in discussions, what’s your objective? Or did I misinterpret your post?

Old 12-05-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:

If that's all you got out of my post(s) regarding this situation...well, you've pretty much exceeded my expectations.

I'm still waiting though regarding the extent of your benevolence toward those who are less fortunate than those born in this country (excluding of course, the vast majority of Native American reservations and those unfortunate enough to have been born into poverty in the Appalachian area of these United States)......

Old 12-05-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I’m totally confused. I thought the purpose of being on this forum is to “discuss” the issue of illegal immigration. Kele asked a legitimate question. If you don’t want to participate in discussions, what’s your objective? Or did I misinterpret your post?
What question was that?

She made a statement on the character of people who immigrate here, and I made an observation.
Why can't we just leave it at that?

Old 12-05-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
What question was that?

She made a statement on the character of people who immigrate here, and I made an observation.
Why can't we just leave it at that?
Uh....hello?

Quote:
Well, if you want to open our borders up to the world's poor, then I guess you'd better stick Mexico waaaaayyyyy down at the bottom of the list.

The World's Fifty Poorest Countries:

Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, East Timor, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.

Gee, what do you know. Not a SOB country among them....

Tell me, just how many huddled masses do you think this country can hold? How many tired, poor, and homeless wretched refuse are the American citizens in this country expected to support with their tax dollars at the expense of themselves and their fellow citizens who need their assistance just as much if not more than someone from another country?

Did you know that in America, more children of citizens live below the poverty level than in any other industrialized country in the world?

If your motives are truly as altruistic as you would have the rest of us believe, that you are solely motivated by your compassion for the poor, then I want you to explain to the rest of us exactly what entitles Mexico's people to our compassion over the rest of the world's poor?

Its proximity to our southern border?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Uh....hello?
Where have I stated that I want the borders open? Find me a link, any link.

And why do you assume I'm only compassionate towards those "SOB", based on me discussing immigration on the immigration board?

What illegal immigrant group is discussed the most on this board? Those from "SOB". So me taking part in that discussion, not sharing your views, equates to me only caring about Hispanic immigrants?

It doesn't make sense.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Where have I stated that I want the borders open? Find me a link, any link.

And why do you assume I'm only compassionate towards those "SOB", based on me discussing immigration on the immigration board?

What illegal immigrant group is discussed the most on this board? Those from "SOB". So me taking part in that discussion, not sharing your views, equates to me only caring about Hispanic immigrants?

It doesn't make sense.
Well, ya know...I can only go off of the evidence presented.....

And now, this college girl is off to work. I cannot live by loans alone, know what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration