Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2023, 12:02 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it isn’t about you .

this is about small investor behavior as a group and overwhelmingly how it plays out for the timers over and over and over.

most just dip their toes back and get back in with what they pulled out after the big run ups they missed , making the whole attempt futile over and over
Yeah well - people are responsible for their own decisions in life. My goal is to stop working as soon as I can - and I'm on track for that. I could have never done that if I had done normal "small investor" behavior of buying too much stuff. lol I've seen it happen time and time again, people I know buying way more house than they would need, and moving way too many times. Every time you buy and sell, 6% goes to the realtor and you've got moving expenses also. Average homeowner stays in house 7 years. I am triple that right now.

Old 11-04-2023, 12:04 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
all i can say is i started with nothing and have been retired for 8 years with multiple 7 figures .

all from staying invested and dealing in special situation real estate

Old 11-04-2023, 12:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Nothing has been missed whatsoever. I decided to go conservative for the entire 4th quarter and see where things are on Jan 1 ...

I am well on my way to early retirement ... When half of these people are still working at age 70 because they
... I will have the last laugh.
The last last laugh is assured for those with an audience of ONE.

IF you think 1 Jan 2024 is the date to set your FORWARD investing plans, you are VERY wise and knowing of what an election yr will bring to the economy and the markets. (Often NOTHING gets done in an election yr, so you may continue to be safe doing NOTHING )

Don't look now, but many of us 'FIRE'd long before your current age. (We weren't sitting on our thumbs 'guessing')

Live
Learn
LISTEN
Act.

Even tho I'm heavy cash positions, Thursday alone raised more earnings than most my salary yrs.

Glad I had done some Roth Rolls and re-postioning for LT holds, so the growth and earnings remain income tax free.

Time will tell.

Last edited by Lizap; 11-04-2023 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comment

Old 11-04-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The last last laugh is assured for those with an audience of ONE.

IF you think 1 Jan 2024 is the date to set your FORWARD investing plans, you are VERY wise and knowing of what an election yr will bring to the economy and the markets. (Often NOTHING gets done in an election yr, so you may continue to be safe doing NOTHING )

Don't look now, but many of us 'FIRE'd long before your current age. (We weren't sitting on our thumbs 'guessing')

Live
Learn
LISTEN
Act.

Even tho I'm heavy cash positions, Thursday alone raised more earnings than most my salary yrs.

Glad I had done some Roth Rolls and re-postioning for LT holds, so the growth and earnings remain income tax free.

Time will tell.
:
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here -- of course there are other ways to do it - of course people have retired by 50 (i'm past that now and still at it) .... but take a close look at John Q Public. 60% live paycheck to paycheck and will probably never retire at all. Of the remaining 40% - how many will retire before 60? Likely not a high percentage. They don't teach personal finance in schools, and that's part of the problem, but there's also the issue of, a lot of people spend money to impress people. My father did it for decades, but he could afford it. A lot of others can't, but do it anyway.

Last edited by Lizap; 11-04-2023 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Deleted prior poster's off-topic comment

Old 11-04-2023, 12:46 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Quote:
Of the remaining 40% - how many will retire before 60?
Raises hand. Years before 60.

Quote:
They don't teach personal finance in schools
You've made this false claim several times.

Personal finance education legislation has brought the percentage of high schoolers guaranteed to take a personal finance course up to 40.5% in 2023.
(Next Gen Personal Finance. Next Gen Personal Finance (NGPF) provides free personal finance curriculum and professional development to more than 30,000 middle and high school teachers)

When I was in high school long ago, we had personal finance classes. I learned how to balance a check book then, and I didn't yet have a checking account. I also took an accounting elective my Jr & Sr. years.

Old 11-04-2023, 01:10 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Nothing has been missed whatsoever. I decided to go conservative for the entire 4th quarter and see where things are on Jan 1 and that's what I'm going to do. I don't post all of my trades but enjoyed a nice jump yesterday on Dominion (D) stock - of course quickly took the profits and have been holding my own all year long despite a choppy market. The world is a tinderbox, and I'm going to continue with what I've been doing. I am well on my way to early retirement.
all the trades you make “profit” on happen to be the ones you never post publicly before hand. Just a coincidence of course. Making money off one stock is really irrelevant anyways if you’re holding mostly losers or In cash. Portfolio performance is all that matters

Last edited by Berteau; 11-04-2023 at 02:12 PM..

Old 11-04-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
LOL. Of course all the trades you make “profit” on happen to be the ones you never post publicly before hand. Just a coincidence of course
here is your proof right from my Fidelity page. I'm sure you can add the numbers up, and see that I made a $525 profit here.
See I'm A) not lying, and B) not always trading small amounts.
Now run along.

Nov-03-2023
Individual - TOD *******
YOU SOLD DOMINION ENERGY INC COM (D) (Margin)
+$18,693.39

Oct-18-2023
Individual - TOD *******
YOU BOUGHT DOMINION ENERGY INC COM (D) (Margin)
-$4,088.74

Oct-02-2023
Individual - TOD *******
-$8,467.82

Sep-29-2023
Individual - TOD *******
-$5,613.13

Last edited by Lizap; 11-04-2023 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comment

Old 11-04-2023, 06:31 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,904 times
In the end isn't it the size of the portfolio that matters? I thought it was MJ who said who cares if someone has said they made a killing on a trade when the size of the account isn't that large? People like to boast all the time they made profit but when you see the actual size it's not even a million in the bank.

Old 11-05-2023, 01:32 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
what i say is percentage wise many like to brag about being invested , but the dollars they invest is such a small part of their money that it is peeing in the ocean …

Old 11-05-2023, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what i say is percentage wise many like to brag about being invested , but the dollars they invest is such a small part of their money that it is peeing in the ocean …
So middle class people should not bother posting here, just leave everything to the 7 figure people? Is that what you are saying? Your toys are larger and more expensive than my toys? Just trying to get clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing