Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2023, 04:26 AM

106,750 posts, read 108,973,015 times

Advertisements

with markets up 20% this year in a total market fund or s&p fund and nasdaq up 37% the calls to action involving cds and cash have been pretty poor this year.

i can see shifting money from bonds to cash instruments, but not shifting out of equities and trying to time the in and out

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-21-2023 at 04:35 AM..

Old 11-21-2023, 04:32 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
plus when you sell short you owe interest until the stock is paid back as well as dividends not received
Correct which is why it's always best to short stocks that don't pay dividends to begin with.

Old 11-21-2023, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
The title of the thread is a call to action in addition to a prediction and our favorite forum bear ain't a professional money manager. We have examples, as noted, right here on this forum of people losing money because someone made a reckless call to action. My suggestion was to title these prediction threads as such not "Another call to 'do whatever'" based on a hunch. That is dangerous as we don't know all the personalities reading these threads.
Anyone who was smart enough to find this board, is also smart enough to do their homework and their research. I called for a drop to Dow 30k from Dow 34k, that's hardly a "the sky is falling" thread. It was merely a prediction that the market was going down in the 4th quarter of this year due to all of the known, negative things that have been going on.

Old 11-21-2023, 08:50 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Anyone who was smart enough to find this board, is also smart enough to do their homework and their research.
Well that’s absolutely false as has been proven time and again on this board itself

Quote:
I called for a drop to Dow 30k from Dow 34k, that's hardly a "the sky is falling" thread. It was merely a prediction that the market was going down in the 4th quarter of this year due to all of the known, negative things that have been going on.
How many negative calls have you made vs positive calls on the broader market? I may be off but if feels extremely lopsided and generally wrong over time. I believe 1insider was right that you’ve gotten crushed in election cycles believing fallouts would occur and getting out, waiting for things to settle and it’s moved against you each time. Total negativity isn’t a great way to live

Old 11-21-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well that’s absolutely false as has been proven time and again on this board itself

How many negative calls have you made vs positive calls on the broader market? I may be off but if feels extremely lopsided and generally wrong over time. I believe 1insider was right that you’ve gotten crushed in election cycles believing fallouts would occur and getting out, waiting for things to settle and it’s moved against you each time. Total negativity isn’t a great way to live
Beats me. Go back and look at 10 years of postings.
Yep, I've been too conservative and yep, I'd have more money if I just trusted the process and trusted the indexes. No argument.

Old 11-21-2023, 11:00 AM

4,438 posts, read 8,137,308 times
Quote:
Yep, I've been too conservative and yep, I'd have more money if I just trusted the process and trusted the indexes. No argument.
So now that you admit it, are you going to do anything different?

Old 11-21-2023, 11:15 AM

1,203 posts, read 669,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
feel free to disagree all you like
I will And so will the majority of people in this country.

Old 11-21-2023, 11:20 AM

1,203 posts, read 669,374 times
Quote:
But isn't your goal to retire early? If so, wouldn't you want to utilize the strategy that maximizes your returns? If you simply want to gamble for entertainment, I don't see a problem. But if your goal is to increase your net worth to a level you no longer need to exchange your labor for earned income, it seems like a poor choice.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:02 PM

9,410 posts, read 8,382,899 times
If I were BG, I'd resign myself to keeping the bulk of assets fully invested to maximize returns and for that "itch" he has, keep a few grand in "play money" on the side for actively trading. That gives him the best chance at retiring early while also scratching that gambling itch he has, he has said many times here he gets bored so just trading a few shares here and there should keep him from touching the bulk of retirement/college fund assets.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:22 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,667,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
But isn't your goal to retire early? If so, wouldn't you want to utilize the strategy that maximizes your returns? If you simply want to gamble for entertainment, I don't see a problem. But if your goal is to increase your net worth to a level you no longer need to exchange your labor for earned income, it seems like a poor choice.
I believe in BGs case he has adopted the old poker term "you should not play with scared money".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing