Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2023, 06:24 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,379,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Plain talk.

The economy has been slowing for the last few months, and the recent market highs are the result of banks inticing - not from company profits.

When that fuel dries we'll have a crashhhhh.
What does "banks inticing" mean, exactly?

BTW, it's "enticing".

Old 12-04-2023, 08:29 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Plain talk.

The economy has been slowing for the last few months, and the recent market highs are the result of banks inticing - not from company profits.

When that fuel dries we'll have a crashhhhh.
There is never one single reason for the overall stock market going up or down. Its usually for many reasons that each contribute to the rise or fall.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:47 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
There is never one single reason for the overall stock market going up or down. Its usually for many reasons that each contribute to the rise or fall.
That is true and that's why I made the call for a decline back in September, which as you never tire of letting me know, was a bad call. Nothing is making sense right now, but I will remind you that things were flying high in 2007 as well, and then we hit 2008 and Bear Stearns had to be rescued from bankruptcy and Lehman Brothers ceased to exist, and the S hit the fan, quickly.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:00 AM

18,114 posts, read 15,690,551 times
People who stayed in the market in 2008/09, not selling, not panicking, and kept contributing to their retirement and other brokerage accounts as normal, year after year, not only did fine in the next decade+, they did great!

The secret is not trying to time the market, not panicking when a crash occurs, and continuing to contribute for the long term.

This one strategy has allowed many to retire, even early.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:03 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,214,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
That is true and that's why I made the call for a decline back in September, which as you never tire of letting me know, was a bad call. Nothing is making sense right now, but I will remind you that things were flying high in 2007 as well, and then we hit 2008 and Bear Stearns had to be rescued from bankruptcy and Lehman Brothers ceased to exist, and the S hit the fan, quickly.

Yeah, just wait till everything looks perfect THEN invest.

And what happened to your buddy from Chicago ? he was all panicked as well, mocking me for not selling calls when S and P was at like 3800!

Barking out the days headlines and worse investing based on them is a recipe for financial suicide. We have decades of evidence that shows that!

Old 12-04-2023, 09:17 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post

And what happened to your buddy from Chicago ? he was all panicked as well, mocking me for not selling calls when S and P was at like 3800!

Barking out the days headlines and worse investing based on them is a recipe for financial suicide. We have decades of evidence that shows that!
No, I didn't say wait for perfection, and I don't know what Chicago buddy you are talking about either (Heart?) I've stopped trying to figure out short term movements.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:32 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,214,393 times
Quote:
No, I didn't say wait for perfection, and I don't know what Chicago buddy you are talking about either (Heart?) I've stopped trying to figure out short term movements.

My Kind Of Town was his name....you two were absolutely giddy on every correction ( which are a feature of the market, not a bug)

You're a headline watcher, you've demonstrated that over and over again. It's all noise. Charlie Munger just died, listen to his comments over the decades on that. You'll be better off.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:28 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Yep. This is the sign of a true market amateur. They always think its smart to wait until everything looks perfect with no risk. But by that point the big gains are already long gone and the markets are priced for huge corrections. If it was as easy as watching headlines and waiting for the risk to be gone everyone would be rich off stocks. As Buffett best said, "invest when others are fearful."

Old 12-04-2023, 11:38 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
after being declared dead as an asset class the stock market soared way beyond anyone’s expectations in the early 1980s

well there were few investors who didn’t say we were in the proverbial bubble after the quick run up we had .

little did anyone know that bubble was the start of the biggest bull market in history , with 17 years of almost 14% cagr.

thinking one knows what’s next and basing investment moves in or out on it has been a losing game forever

Old 12-07-2023, 07:34 PM

170 posts, read 75,185 times
If you want to compare today with 2008,then lets talk about gold. Back then no one seems to care about gold,but look at it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing