Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2023, 06:21 AM

106,567 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

the biggest gains are always when things look gloomiest and nothing is appearing to get better.

the biggest drops all come when we are breaking new highs and it looks like blue skies ahead.

investors tend to have it backwards.

so now you will have those who thought they were geniuses bailing to cash waiting for the elusive pull back to get in .

which of course if we do pull back they believe we are headed lower .

so they wait and wait .

then as typically happens markets charge ahead , leaving them behind had they done nothing and once again market timing fails them

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-14-2023 at 06:32 AM..

Old 12-14-2023, 06:56 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I always laugh when I hear people say things like this. They think its that easy. Just wait until the coast is clear and then invest. Unfortunately the markets are forward looking and its not that easy. All the big gains are in before the coast looks clear, as we can see is happening currently. Same with the post Covid recovery. People thought they were being wise waiting for post Covid and missed an epic rally.
Make a call on something, anything. Predict a market move, pick a stock or two, share a few trades.
Do something other than make yourself look smart but nothing to back it up.

As far as Covid, nobody had any idea what was going to happen. Not you, not the experts. They shut down the entire country, for a virus we had never seen before. There was no way of knowing the outcome at the time. Everybody's a genius on Mondays at figuring out what the NFL coaches did wrong on Sundays.

I'm in my mid 50s. My company may be getting sold - I could be out of a job in a year. I could care less. I'm doing fine.

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 12-14-2023 at 07:17 AM..

Old 12-14-2023, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Make a call on something, anything. Predict a market move, pick a stock or two, share a few trades.

As far as Covid, nobody had any idea what was going to happen. Not you, not the experts. They shut down the entire country, for a virus we had never seen before. There was no way of knowing the outcome at the time.

I'm in my mid 50s. My company may be getting sold - I could be out of a job in a year. I could care less. I'm doing fine.
all pretty much a reason for leaving long term money alone ..

beefing up a short term plane with a growth and income portfolio or even an income portfolio with a bit of growth potential is still the best way to go , the answer isn’t pulling out and timing

when i was unsure of when i would be leaving my job because we bought a place in the poconos i kept a few years cash handy and a growth and income portfolio.

i didn’t pull out because i thought i wouldn’t have a job.

just the opposite , i needed to make sure i didn’t miss growth yet needed to tone things down a bit just in case

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-14-2023 at 07:29 AM..

Old 12-14-2023, 07:09 AM

an example of optimizing by time frame

money for use in less then 5 years

low risk tolerance , use a money market.

med risk , an income model perhaps 25% equities and the rest assorted income funds

higher risk , growth and income model like 50/50 or 60/40

for money 5-10 years

low risk. income model

med risk ,growth and income model

higher risk , growth model . 100% equities
************=====
for money 10 years or more

low risk , growth and income model

med risk ,,growth model , 100% equities

higher risk , sector portfolios

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-14-2023 at 07:35 AM..

Old 12-14-2023, 07:45 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
But hey, how are those 5% CDs feeling now?
Great, and they're 5.5 up to 5.65% CDs, for money to be used in the shorter term (1.5 years or less) that shouldn't be in the stock market. Now, if you can personally guarantee S&P will return >5.65% in 2024, let's talk.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:46 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
The stock market will go up over the long-term and those of us in well diversified portfolios will do well.

There.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Quote:

As far as Covid, nobody had any idea what was going to happen. Not you, not the experts. They shut down the entire country, for a virus we had never seen before. There was no way of knowing the outcome at the time. Everybody's a genius on Mondays at figuring out what the NFL coaches did wrong on Sundays.

My call is the markets do what the markets do so I just stay invested the whole time because I don't have the hubris or resources to know otherwise.

The phrase is couldn't care less BTW.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:52 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
My call is the markets do what the markets do so I just stay invested the whole time because I don't have the hubris or resources to know otherwise.

The phrase is couldn't care less BTW.
Learn something new every day. This was reviewed on a Seinfeld episode.

Old 12-14-2023, 08:05 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Great, and they're 5.5 up to 5.65% CDs, for money to be used in the shorter term (1.5 years or less) that shouldn't be in the stock market. Now, if you can personally guarantee S&P will return >5.65% in 2024, let's talk.
I fully agree and feel [i]fantastic[i] about the chunk of my portfolio in a low-return, low-risk fund. It has sufficient capacity to, if there *is* a crippling recession and I lose my current job, completely pay off my mortgage.

Nobody knows the future. Some people say they play to win, and I wish them luck. I use this part of my portfolio to play not to lose. I sleep quite soundly at night as a result.

Old 12-14-2023, 08:34 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
In the accumulation phase with many years before retirement, 100% equities is appropriate. Just prior and just after retirement, lighting up on equities makes sense due to sequence of return risk. After that, really depends on personal preference and other factors/objectives, such as aversion to risk, size of portfolio, legacy objectives, etc. Make a financial plan and let that plan drive how you invest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing