Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2023, 03:46 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well my house is 1.5mm and I have two newer BMWs

While you didn’t have a 500k house you also don’t have a 550-650k annual income either. If we are talking about things we don’t have, I don’t have any expenses and haven’t for children so one might argue my fancy cars are essentially children. All of this is irrelevant to the topic of returns though as I save 40-50% of my pretax income when I was making 150k and that number has faded as tax burdens have gone up but I save a lot of my 550-650k and invest in mostly index ETFs and leave them alone. The results speak for themselves and I’m about to replace one of my BMWs with a newer one but my investment performance allows that along with my savings rate
this year ended for us a few hundred thousand higher then last year ended . but that is after buying a new car for 80k and the years living expenses so investing wise it was a very good year

Old 12-29-2023, 03:49 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Last trading day of the year ended in the red, but still managed to kick this prediction in the teeth.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed today at 37,689.

The lowest point it hit was 32,327 on 10/27.

I guess that's all she wrote, folks.

Old 12-29-2023, 05:21 PM

373 posts, read 311,028 times
BeerGeek

I'm going to be 1 that actually encourages you. I think you are doing better than the vast amount of USA and especially compared to the world.

Yes, you blew it on this thread and everyone is having their fun. But, reading between the lines ... you are so far ahead of many.

If I have to pick a weakness, it's that you let the news influence you. You should pay more attention to the "trend". Don't fight the trend.

I too see a lot to be concerned about, but let the trend tell me when I need to act.

Just my 2 cents, worth price charged.

Old 12-29-2023, 05:50 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdean View Post
BeerGeek

I'm going to be 1 that actually encourages you. I think you are doing better than the vast amount of USA and especially compared to the world.
When you compare yourself to the average American or entire world it’s just to make yourself feel better.

Quote:
Yes, you blew it on this thread and everyone is having their fun. But, reading between the lines ... you are so far ahead of many.
It’s not just this thread

Quote:
If I have to pick a weakness, it's that you let the news influence you. You should pay more attention to the "trend". Don't fight the trend.
He should ignore the news and the trends, so should you and nearly everyone

Quote:
I too see a lot to be concerned about, but let the trend tell me when I need to act.

Just my 2 cents, worth price charged.
And you too documented your poor performance and decision making in the sub forum so that’s the grain of salt

Old 12-30-2023, 12:13 AM

poor investor behavior is why most americans shouldn’t be handling their own money.

those who retired in 1966 or 1965 thought they had more then enough saved …little did they know inflation would soar in just a few short years and markets would move sideways for many years while fixed income was crushed .

so building up that cushion beyond what we think is enough when we can is very important

Old 12-30-2023, 03:01 AM

In the years after 1965, the perfect storm of retirement killing conditions took place.

Inflation grew rapidly over the following decade, exceeding 10% in several years in the 1970’s and averaging 6% a year from 1965 to 1985.

Interest rates rose rapidly, from ~4% in 1965 to ~8% in 1970, up to 15% in 1982, causing bonds prices to plummet.

The combo of fast rising high inflation and rising interest rates destroyed bonds and fixed income.

Stocks also performed horribly. Adjusted for inflation, the stock market moved sideways over 2 decades

The most insidious retirement killer was inflation.

Retirees were pulling out way more dollars to live then they ever imagined .

By the time. The smoke cleared the fact the greatest bull market in history was in their time frame did not help as they already spent down to far for markets to help

Few even gave it a thought prior since inflation was low to moderate and something like this was not even on the radar..

so it is a good idea to build those reserves higher then you think and not sit back and go i don’t need equities anymore ..we never know how much is enough until well after it is to late to do much about falling short .

so unless one has enough coming in from sources other then their own pile of money it is never a great idea to think one has enough and doesn’t need decent compounding at any point in retirement when potentially they still have decades left of life.

i would love to give up on the volatility of equities but i know doing so would be the riskiest move one could make with potentially two decades or more of life and the unknown left for either one of us.

the fact a 50/50 or 60/40-has a 96% success rate over the 118 30 year cycles we already had at a 4% inflation adjusted draw , and fixed income , with no equities has failed 65% of those cycles already , tells us which is the real risk and it ain’t using equities.

yep , trying to use fixed income alone has resulted in a 65% failure rate and ran out of money before a 30 year period was hit.

greater then a 10% failure rate is considered too risky and is not considered a safe withdrawal rate

here is a success rate vs allocation chart

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-30-2023 at 03:49 AM..

Old 12-30-2023, 04:01 AM

for 2023 the final numbers for the models i use just posted

the fidelity insight conservative income model , which is 75% less volatile than the s&p , up just under 10%
so it returned more then 2x what hiding in cash instruments did for 2023 .

we typically keep about 5 -6 years of spending in this model along with 2 years of cash instruments .

the insight growth and income model up 18.26 % , that is 58% equities , our largest position with 10- 15 years spending , maybe even more

our 100% equities combo of

vti total market fund up 26%

berkshire class b up 15.4% , 25% less volatile then the s&p and holds all the rest of what isn’t in the other models ,we may never get to this

not enough history on the leveraged carolina reaper portfolio yet but it was up a bit since i bought it, only in play a few weeks.

so a very good year up multiple 6 figures over last year …let’s see what 2024 brings

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-30-2023 at 04:17 AM..

Old 12-30-2023, 04:15 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
for 2023 the final numbers for the models i use just posted

the fidelity insight conservative income model , which is 75% less volatile than the s&p , up just under 10%
so it returned more then 2x what hiding in cash instruments did for 2023 .

we typically keep about 5 -6 years of spending in this model along with 2 years of cash

the insight growth and income model up 18.26 % , that is 58% equities , our largest position with 10- 15 years spending , maybe even more

our 100% equities combo of

vti total market fund up 26%

berkshire class b up 15.4% , 25% less volatile then the s&p and holds all the rest of what isn’t in the other models ,we may never get to this

not enough history on the leveraged carolina reaper portfolio yet but it was up a bit since i bought it, only in play a few weeks
The NASDAQ was the star performer.

It increased 43%.

Best performance since 2003.

Old 12-30-2023, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The NASDAQ was the star performer. It increased 43%.

Best performance since 2003.
my fidelity blue chip growth fund was up 56.50% , just insane.

it took a beating though in 2022 but still , what a come back.

i don’t own it but arkk was up almost 68%.

this was a year where if you sat it out by bailing to cash last year or mostly cash , it has a profound effect on future growth because the high returns so far outsized the average market returns we get .

over time it’s the big up years that average out the down years …

if one bailed out before the fall in 2022 then they are not to far behind.

but that isn’t human nature for most , to bail at highs …rather they wait for the fall and then throw in the towel so the morningstar small investors show as a group they really blew it bailing out during the drop then missing the recovery

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-30-2023 at 04:51 AM..

Old 12-30-2023, 06:05 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
poor investor behavior is why most americans shouldn’t be handling their own money.
It’s why most would benefit from an advisor. A lot of people are against paying someone else but that stats show it’s absolutely worth it for most people. It’s also entertaining to hear people expecting an advisor to beat the market missing that’s not what the job is, it’s to help beat what a person would do on their own. This thread is littered with examples as is Morningstar’s data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing