Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
One would hope so, but probably not

Whats really frustrating is that with the new way of doing business, it makes it very hard for someone out of their 20's to switch careers.
It also makes it difficult for those in their 20's to start a career as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 11:09 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,997 times
I work a unpaid internship it is what every business is doing these days. Or they hire you on as part time or temp. Thus they can give you no benefits. It is the way of the future. You pumping out a million college grads a year. Most have no real options. I read 85% of college grads have moved back home. That means almost 9 out of every ten got no job. It was the same in 07 08 09 now you have a huge backlog of educated workers nobody wants. I saw were the Fed chairman said it will be 4 to 5 years before unemployment will be back to normal. People just do not want to see it going to be years before we see any improvement. The entry level job is almost a thing of the past.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:13 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
I work a unpaid internship it is what every business is doing these days. Or they hire you on as part time or temp. Thus they can give you no benefits. It is the way of the future. You pumping out a million college grads a year. Most have no real options. I read 85% of college grads have moved back home. That means almost 9 out of every ten got no job. It was the same in 07 08 09 now you have a huge backlog of educated workers nobody wants. I saw were the Fed chairman said it will be 4 to 5 years before unemployment will be back to normal. People just do not want to see it going to be years before we see any improvement. The entry level job is almost a thing of the past.

But the entry level pay isn't.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:41 AM

750 posts, read 1,445,997 times
That I would sadly that is right on. I see all these nutty job ads with list of skills longer then my arm. Background check credit check hours vary part time it is just nuts. Paying 9 to 11 an hour were not talking a big payday here. I am even starting to see skill list for minimum wage jobs. I mean business say they can not find worker to hire. But they could find good workers to train business did it for 100 years. You found someone good trained for the job. Now it is know 9 types of software type 80 wam and hey the pay 8.50 an hour. And can you be up to speed in an hour ? It is hard to believe they can not find good workers these days.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:45 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
It also makes it difficult for those in their 20's to start a career as well.
It's even worse when someone like myself-who has worked since 16 at the age of 45 is told I am entry level. I am tired of being made to feel lower than whale manure. I have job skills and I am not stupid. Right now-I am the ONLY one there with a associate's degree-the majority of them has a GED-you can't help listening to the chatter(most of the 25 employees are 20-25-only 4 of us are over 35). I can not WAIT to get out of here and get a decent job again!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:51 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
It's even worse when someone like myself-who has worked since 16 at the age of 45 is told I am entry level. I am tired of being made to feel lower than whale manure. I have job skills and I am not stupid. Right now-I am the ONLY one there with a associate's degree-the majority of them has a GED-you can't help listening to the chatter(most of the 25 employees are 20-25-only 4 of us are over 35). I can not WAIT to get out of here and get a decent job again!
It is very difficult to get thrown into a work environment like that when you have some education and are used to being around professional people.

I took a three month temp assignment in a company that was a office/warehouse. I remember they called a staff meeting for the dept I was in. I was the only one who brought a pen and paper to the meeting....LOL.

Not to sound snotty, but I was working with people for the most part that had no formal education and not the best work ethic. I was around the same age as you and working with mostly 20 somethings. I'm no prude but the language was pretty foul, dropping F bombs was the norm. And this was in the office, not the warehouse.

I also had to go there for an on-site interview even though it was a temp job and take a basic math test(I aced it...LOL) to see if I could add, subtract, and multiply.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:52 PM

156 posts, read 318,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is very difficult to get thrown into a work environment like that when you have some education and are used to being around professional people.

I took a three month temp assignment in a company that was a office/warehouse. I remember they called a staff meeting for the dept I was in. I was the only one who brought a pen and paper to the meeting....LOL.

Not to sound snotty, but I was working with people for the most part that had no formal education and not the best work ethic. I was around the same age as you and working with mostly 20 somethings. I'm no prude but the language was pretty foul, dropping F bombs was the norm. And this was in the office, not the warehouse.

I also had to go there for an on-site interview even though it was a temp job and take a basic math test(I aced it...LOL) to see if I could add, subtract, and multiply.
God, this brings back some horrible memories of when I had to do these stupid temp assignments after I graduated from college.

To give a little bit of background, I graduated in 2008, just when the economy started to collapse, and wasn't one of the lucky ones to get a job after graduation. So I had move back home to a dead end crap town with absolutely no employment opportunities for anyone with more than a high school diploma and thus, I was considered overqualified by the restaurants, retailers, and all the other entry level jobs in town. So all I could find were these stupid temp jobs, where you are getting a Mcdonald's salary for doing crappier work and working crappier hours to boot. To add insult to injury, scheduling was non-existent and you had no idea if these damn assignments were going to be steady in the first place.

Furthermore, I absolutely HATED being talked down to by the HR pukes that worked at the agency, who would get pissed off and berate you if you don't accomodate your entire life around their stupid temp assignments, which leads me to my next point and where I agree with you. Apparently, they were under the assumption that I was some slacker criminal idiot (the kind of person who usually works for them) and it made me feel like ****. Also, it made me feel like **** to work alongside these people and as a result, be lumped in with them even though I obviously don't fit this background at all. Another blow to the self-esteem.

All of these are the reasons I will NEVER work for a temp agency again.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:23 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
They know very well what entry level means. Just a way to try and get experienced people dirt cheap.

Exactly!

Old 12-08-2010, 09:27 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
The worst thing when I was job hunting was entry level jobs demanding 2-3 years of experience, which I had through part time office work in college and internships, only for there to be a caveat at the end of the job ad that they would only accept FULL TIME, PAID employment as valid experience. No internships. No part time work. I did a 6 month unpaid, part time internship where I essentially ran the entire outreach and logistics workload of a local government office and it was a smack in the face to be told time and time again that it "didn't count" because it was only an internship.

I only got the job I got now because it's at my alma mater in a different office of the department I worked in during college.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:04 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The worst thing when I was job hunting was entry level jobs demanding 2-3 years of experience, which I had through part time office work in college and internships, only for there to be a caveat at the end of the job ad that they would only accept FULL TIME, PAID employment as valid experience. No internships. No part time work. I did a 6 month unpaid, part time internship where I essentially ran the entire outreach and logistics workload of a local government office and it was a smack in the face to be told time and time again that it "didn't count" because it was only an internship.

I only got the job I got now because it's at my alma mater in a different office of the department I worked in during college.
Oh man, that would completely peeve me off. I was required to work at the college and they told us if we worked outside of the college--with the exception of summer employment--then they would screw with our financial aid. Why do people believe part-time and internships do not count as valid experience? All the employers I've talked to considered it to be valid, but I know some people who tell me that working in college does not count as experience.

Hey, if you're getting paid to remove a virus from someone's computer, why is it more legitimate to do it when a company pays you than when a college pays you? Also, what's the point in internships if they don't count as experience? That's why we have internships! You get paid by college credit instead of money. Though, I did talk to one first-tier university which told me, "No, you pay us for the privilege of allowing you to have an unpaid internship."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search