Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 02:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is very difficult to get thrown into a work environment like that when you have some education and are used to being around professional people.
Ehm yeah... have been picking up some restaurant kitchen work for extra pay... I see now why they don't want to hire educated people for those jobs.
What is difficult is, if you take one you will likely be higher educated and experienced than your boss... This means nothing in that type of environment though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 02:29 PM

219 posts, read 562,585 times
I believe employers know very well what entry-level means. I've done some research of median salaries for my particular set of duties and I keep coming up with figures that are between $8k and $10k higher than what I'm currently making. If it weren't for a couple pay increases that I sort of helped pushed through for myself, I'd probably be making close to $25k less than the median salary for someone with my experience and education.

That's why I don't buy the argument that you get paid according to what the company values you at. That's not necessarily true. A company values you at the price ceiliing they've set for the position and/or a person with your set of skills, experience, and education. In other words, they may be willing to pay you up to $50k before they are no longer willing to budge. That doesn't mean they won't low ball you with a $40k offer. It's up to you to force the extra money out of them by using some leverage (another job offer, expressing your interest in quitting, etc.) When they show you the door, that's when you figure out what they truly valued you at.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:19 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
LOL!!! The geniuses apparently got the message and are offering far mor reasonable pay now (minus the 1099).

The most significant change is they removed their contact information from the ad.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/acc/2104071271.html (broken link)

Quote:
Accounting assistant/Front Desk Receptionist (Farmington Hills, MI)
Quote:

Date: 2010-12-09, 2:33PM EST

Front office Administrative Assistant is needed for a fast paced property management office in Farmington Hills.

This individual will be responsible for answering five phone lines and greeting clients. Organization is needed; this individual is responsible for filing and creating filing systems.

Experience with Rent Manager software is a plus. Assist with accounts payable for several apartment complexes. Process large volumes of utility bills for payment.

Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel. Ability to work independently or within a team in a fast paced environment. Must be able to multi-task. Candidate must have a high attention to detail.

Prefer a minmum of two years of experience as an Administrative Assistant and One year of Accounting Related Experience.

If you are a high energy self-starter who is looking for a new opportunity, please forward your resume.

• Compensation: $10 to $12 per hour
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
PostingID: 2104071271

Old 12-09-2010, 04:53 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,997 times
The worth of a college degree is falling in value and not just art history social work ect. But MBAs Law engineering IT ect. Entry level jobs are slowing going bye bye in those fields as well. Getting 25k in debt for a degree is mostly likely a bad idea. Going to grad school is an even worse idea. Because now your adding 25 or 30k more in debt. A 50k tab might get you a 60k a year job. But here is the thing how long is it going to last? One year five years who knows nothing is stable. And what if you never land a good entry level job to start with. College may not be worth it to alot of kids in the future.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:04 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
The worth of a college degree is falling in value and not just art history social work ect. But MBAs Law engineering IT ect. Entry level jobs are slowing going bye bye in those fields as well. Getting 25k in debt for a degree is mostly likely a bad idea. Going to grad school is an even worse idea. Because now your adding 25 or 30k more in debt. A 50k tab might get you a 60k a year job. But here is the thing how long is it going to last? One year five years who knows nothing is stable. And what if you never land a good entry level job to start with. College may not be worth it to alot of kids in the future.
My two oldest are in college now. They've both decided to leave school after this semester and enter the military-both are girls. They feel that spinning their wheels in academia isn't worth what it was and they'd rather get right into learning the choices of careers-one is going for nursing-the other physical therapist. It maybe the only thing they'll be able to get-they've not found any part time jobs since this spring. We are behind them 100%. It's true why spend yourself into debt if the job market is so bad and you won't make enough money to pay it back and live too.

My degree-even though I busted tail to do it as an adult raising three kids-I feel is now worthless. I still don't get how I am considered entry level at a place where the others have only earned GED's.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:23 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
My two oldest are in college now. They've both decided to leave school after this semester and enter the military-both are girls. They feel that spinning their wheels in academia isn't worth what it was and they'd rather get right into learning the choices of careers-one is going for nursing-the other physical therapist. It maybe the only thing they'll be able to get-they've not found any part time jobs since this spring. We are behind them 100%. It's true why spend yourself into debt if the job market is so bad and you won't make enough money to pay it back and live too.

My degree-even though I busted tail to do it as an adult raising three kids-I feel is now worthless. I still don't get how I am considered entry level at a place where the others have only earned GED's.
One of my uncles went into the Navy with only a high school diploma. After he left the Navy, he ended up getting a job at NASA earning $200,000 a year. However, I've met some Veterans who are having problem getting a job in this economy. I wish you kids the best of luck .

Old 12-09-2010, 05:37 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,328 times
Quote:
That is rich you pay for the privilege to work for free. I mean if their going to start counting only full time paid work. Then why would anyone ever take unpaid internship? x

Because it's part of the degree requirement.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:11 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,997 times
Tons of kids are now taking internships because they are no longer finding entry level jobs. They are done with college but have no work. I am doing this myself I could find no work. My internship plays no role in a degree requirement. I am talking about the fact colleges are telling college grads take the internship. They are now saying keep working and look for a paid job. But if business is going to start only counting full time paid work as part of your work history. Then you might as well not do it at all. It is a waste of time.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:44 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
But it's a catch-22 because there's no way in hell one can be competitive in this economic environment with just a high school diploma when there are millions of un/underemployed people with college degrees fighting for a swim in the same shrinking pool of jobs, so one is almost forced to go into debt to succeed to at least have a fair shake, no matter what.

And my political views aside, the average person simply isn't fit for the military lifestyle. The kids today only see the perks our military offers, but they never realize all the negative attributes they will have to contend with until they sign the dotted line and it's too late.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
One of my uncles went into the Navy with only a high school diploma. After he left the Navy, he ended up getting a job at NASA earning $200,000 a year. However, I've met some Veterans who are having problem getting a job in this economy. I wish you kids the best of luck .
Well with all the aging baby boomers-who'll have to have joint replacements-they'll need nursing care and physical therapy. I think they picked to solid career choices down the road if they don't stay in the service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search