Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 06:12 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,282,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
The red flag to me is that you were asked to fly out on your dime up front. For them to prepray that they are risking what? a 1k? And the only risk is that you would flake out and not do the interview. If they could not risk 1k how are they going to sell the product when we all know they will have to make many sales trips wining and dining MD's to promote their product.
Good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 07:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
I hope you enjoyed Cleveland at least! Did you know that legend has it that the Rapid Transit built from the airport to the East Side of town supposedly was built to whisk Rockefeller from his mansion to the airport quickly?
Somehow I don't think Rockefeller took the Rapid.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I am sure they are glad they didn't hire you after you flew off the handle with the emails. You should never ever ever do that. You SHOULD have thanked them for consideration and reiterated that you think you are a great fit and if the new person doesn't work out, that you would be honored to be reconsidered in the future.

But you flew off the handle and burned your bridge. Don't ever do that again. No matter what. EVER.
I couldn't agree more. You never know when that person might become your boss or be in a position to do you a favor.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:31 PM

23 posts, read 76,240 times
Again, why has the working class accepted the idea that upper management deserves to have their ass kissed after being disrespectful and unprofessional? Aren't we all in agreement that this probably needs to stop? How exactly are you going to change it? I assume you feel that you will reach those ranks one day and create the change from the top. Right?

I would highly recommend everyone read a book called "Going Postal" by Mark Ames.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:02 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,092,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob8503 View Post
Again, why has the working class accepted the idea that upper management deserves to have their ass kissed after being disrespectful and unprofessional? Aren't we all in agreement that this probably needs to stop? How exactly are you going to change it? I assume you feel that you will reach those ranks one day and create the change from the top. Right?

I would highly recommend everyone read a book called "Going Postal" by Mark Ames.
Usually they only do that AFTER you get hired.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,233 times
i thought he went off the handle after he found out he wasn't getting the job or ...? Moderator cut: snip

-good you got your money back though!

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 03-16-2013 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 03-16-2013, 12:07 AM

41 posts, read 63,090 times
Quote:

In the OP I thought perhaps you were just venting & disappointed about not getting a position you were really interested in; with this in mind, I bypassed addressing [in my initial response = post #5] your 'feedback of...inconsiderate & unprofessional...' that was sent to the Sr VP of M&S. I do agree with the others that this was probably not the most optimal thing to have done. Having read your subsequent posts, I'm unsure if you're still venting or if any feedback not in alignment with your viewpoint is unwelcomed?

Here's a suggestion that someone made to me early in my career >>> do not do/say anything that you wouldn't want to read [about yourself] on the front of the WSJ. Perhaps I'm reading out of context but from my perception it appears that you're proud of having burned a bridge this way? It is unfortunate if that is the case...everyone is within 6 degrees of anyone else so maximizing networking opps = beneficial...AND it doesn't require kissing 'anything' by just being courteous [one has control over how one acts/reacts but not over how another acts/reacts]. Here is a specific example of maximizing the ability to network...I have a friend who accepted a position that only paid $15 per hr, less than what he was used to earning, this year he is on track for a high 6- to low 7-figure income [which would not have occurred if he had acted/reacted unproductively to the disappointments & unprofessionalism that happened this past year...he counted to 10, 20, 100 A LOT...& someone else noticed].

I'm glad to read that you rec'd your Expense/Reimbursement Check. Best Wishes.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:17 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Long story. Need to vent.

I recently interviewed for a company that provides surgical implant to help recondition and strengthen the diaphragm. I was qualified for the position having the appropriate respiratory therapist license, education and experience (slightly overqualified for last two). The job would have consisted of assisting surgeons with implantation of the device, educating patient and hospital staff, assisting the sales team and attending trade shows, sales luncheons etc. The job would have required at least 60% travel, mostly in the Midwest region ( I live in Chicago). However, if needed, I would have to fill in for reps in other regions as well. I would have to do on-call, potentially work weekends and holidays, and possibly leave for a surgery within two days notice, possibly less. It was kind of a start-up company since the device was FDA approved only within the past several years. The staff consisted of about 24 people, management included.

I scored a initial screening interview with a employee whose job was similar to the one I was applying for and was moved on to a two hour Skype interview with the Senior VP of Marketing and Sales. This gentleman would have been my boss. That went well enough that I earned another Skype interview with the COO in Paris. The COO asked my desired salary. I told him I didn't have a whole lot experience negotiating salaries, but after doing some research and speaking with my contacts in the industry, I would prefer mid-70's. I joked that I hoped I wasn't embarrassing myself or insulting him. The request was about 20k/year higher than my current HOURLY (M-F, 8-4) full-time job. He told me not to worry, that I wouldn't be disqualified simply for the request.

The interview went well, and I was invited to fly to Cleveland to the corp headquarters to interview with management. Flyed out at my expense (they are supposed to reimburse me) I had a pretty good vibe and figured it was probably close to being in the bag at this point. My previous supervisor had also spoken over the phone with the COO for 40min that morning and gave me a great recommendation. I took PTO from my full time job and interviewed with several members of management. The interviews were a real rush job, considering I had taken a full day off work to participate.

The last person I interviewed with was again the VP of Marketing. He asked me a lot of repeat questions from our previous interview. Stressed the potentially heavy travel demands of the job, and how on some weeks I'd leave on Sunday night and not return home until Friday evening. I told him that was fine as long as I felt the compensation was fair. Finally, in the last minute of the interview, he asked me what I wanted salary-wise again. Also mentioning that there would be a possible 10% annual bonus attached. I reiterated what I told the COO and stated that I was pretty set on that amount. He acknowledged that, jotted something down and told me he was going to find another person for me to talk to.

I never saw that person. A manager who had been communicating with me to set up the previous interviews came out and told me that I was finished and that I could expect to hear back by the early the next week. I sent my thank you emails the following day.

One week past, I heard nothing. I emailed the Senior VP to ask if there were any updates. I got a two sentence fragment response saying the position was filled and good luck finding employment elsewhere.

I was pretty furious. I had made myself available to them for the past two months. Re-configuring my schedule and taking time from my full-time job for these people, and I can't even get a f**king phone call. I shot an email back saying that I thought that was an inconsiderate and unprofessional way to let me go. I was only one of maybe TWO other final candidates. It was nothing personal, just kind of politely expressed my dissatisfaction with the process.

He wrote back saying that an HR director, who I had never met or talked to, was supposed to call me back. He then gave me some "free advice" by telling me I should never ask my hiring manager for a $20k pay raise with bonus. That "turned him off" and "I blew my final interview".

I wrote back telling him that it would have been helpful to have known this two weeks earlier when I had told his boss before he invited me out for the interview OR after our final interview, instead making me wait out a week to pass the buck off to someone I had never interacted with to break the bad news. Again, nothing out of control or personal, but got my point across as professional as I could. I even stated that I thought they had an excellent product and was disappointed that I wouldn't be in their future plan. I probably burned my bridges there but they had no intention of ever calling me back if something had opened up.

Am I taking this too personally? Or is this guy just a total *******?

I feel like I was totally played here, and that they completely wasted my time. Not to mention, a high-level, experienced executive didn't have the balls to say to my face that they couldn't meet my demands.

I've searched the internet high and low and haven't seen any stories of a hiring manager taking offense to a salary request,that was made weeks ago, during the final minutes of an interview. I feel like my situation is pretty unique. Any insight?

Oh, and I also haven't received my expense check after one week. Never again will I make that mistake. I really look like a chump now.
This is where you made the mistake, you weren't negotiating a salary at this point. There's nothing to negotiate since you haven't been offered the job yet. Just give them a range and don't ad lib. Let them fall in love with you before negotiating.

Also the company does not seem to have their game together. To your point if your salary request was that out of line they should never have kept you on the hiring process.

Also you are putting a lot of identifying info in your posts. Someone in your industry or the company could easily identify you or company based on the information provided here. Be careful.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:00 AM

273 posts, read 1,061,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Flew.

I flew out.

There is no such word as flyed.

20yrsinBranson
i know a handful of people who are quicker and sharper than me in logical reasoning yet i can spell far better than them. the OP has skills that he is sharp at and vice versa. his job does not entail spelling correctly.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:07 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
Saying 'flyed" versus "flew" is NOT spelling. That's grammar...and pretty basic grammar at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search