Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 06:15 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,016 times

Advertisements

You did everything right and have a right to be upset. With your high quality skills, you can find a better company. You dodged a bullet.

A $20k raise is certainly fine, if you are underpaid. Last year, I had offers for $12-20k more. I took the $20k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 06:22 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
i know a handful of people who are quicker and sharper than me in logical reasoning yet i can spell far better than them. the OP has skills that he is sharp at and vice versa. his job does not entail spelling correctly.
It's not a spelling error (as Branson points out), it's a glaring error in grammar. And the OP's job DOES require excellent communication skills:

Quote:
Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedural manuals. Ability to present information effectively and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and hospital staff.
If you're making basic grammar error when talking with these groups of people, it does not reflect well on the company as a whole, and the individual in particular. THAT's why I was wondering if the OP made other errors in her communications to the company.

But as the OP has explained, the error was due to a late-night rant. All sorts of errors can occur in the wee hours of the morning when you're upset!

Old 03-16-2013, 06:37 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Why doesn't it fly? Why not take them at face value? If your company is cloaking the salary range so job seekers don't know it upfront why should you care whether an applicant overestimates what the company is paying rather than underestimating it? Is correctly guessing what the "salary line" is going to say that important of a quality in potential applicants?
I have no idea what the above is asking. Take what at face value? The salary requirements that they presented? There is a reason candidates are asked what their salary requirements are. When we hire people, we are not interested in wasting anyone's time. We are also not interested in stringing someone along if what they are asking for is not possible.

The key word is requirement. If we have an opening that pays $50k and someone tells us that their salary requirement is $70k, we take that requirement at face value and dismiss them from consideration. We are not going to chase applicants down and say "Hey, you said you wanted $70, will you take $50? Okay, thanks, we'll be in touch if you get the job." Sorry, that's just not going to happen.

We get dozens and dozens of applications and ask for salary requirements. Those that do not include at least a range are not considered. Maybe I'm crazy but if someone indicates that they require $75k I take that as meaning their salary requirement is $75k. Anyone that puts down a number because they are guessing what is being offered takes the chance that they could go over and get tossed from consideration.

If an applicant says they require something in the range of $60 and $70k, once again, we take that at face value and remove them from the pool if the salary is lower. If you want to stay in the running, say something on the order of: "My desired salary is mid-60s; however, I would definitely consider starting at a lower salary if there were future growth opportunities available."

The OP made a major error here:

Quote:
The COO asked my desired salary. I told him I didn't have a whole lot experience negotiating salaries, but after doing some research and speaking with my contacts in the industry, I would prefer mid-70's. I joked that I hoped I wasn't embarrassing myself or insulting him.
Basing one's compensation on "research and speaking with my contacts in industry" and saying that to an interviewer was probably a deal killer despite what the interviewer said. I don't think I would be able to keep a surprised look off my face if someone said that to me.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:46 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
The OP made a major error here:

Basing one's compensation on "research and speaking with my contacts in industry" and saying that to an interviewer was probably a deal killer despite what the interviewer said. I don't think I would be able to keep a surprised look off my face if someone said that to me.
If it was a deal killer with the COO, why did the COO have him come back in a week to interview with the VP of marketing? It should have died on the first interview and saved him the expense of a day off and plane ticket.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:24 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
If it was a deal killer with the COO, why did the COO have him come back in a week to interview with the VP of marketing? It should have died on the first interview and saved him the expense of a day off and plane ticket.
Maybe the COO wasn't bothered by the salary requirements and the way they were presented but someone certainly was because the OP was told that asking for $20k more than his current salary was over the top.

The VP may have killed the deal. It seems the OP was cruising along and seems to have met all their requirements so the only thing I could surmise from the posts was that the salary thing was what terminated his chances.

It sounded to me as though the job would need a particular type of person: single, unattached etc., in order to do all this travel with little to no notice. To me, the OP seemed the ideal candidate. It is unfortunate that they didn't present him with what they believed he should get and let him decide but it seems the $20k more than current touched a nerve with them and turned them off.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
i know a handful of people who are quicker and sharper than me in logical reasoning yet i can spell far better than them. the OP has skills that he is sharp at and vice versa. his job does not entail spelling correctly.
He was going to be in sales. That requires the ability to spell and write legibly and with good grammar. I wouldn't hire someone for that type of job who made that type of grammatical error with such a basic word. It's not like he used a wrong declension in Latin, which would have been completely forgivable.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Maybe the COO wasn't bothered by the salary requirements and the way they were presented but someone certainly was because the OP was told that asking for $20k more than his current salary was over the top.

The VP may have killed the deal. It seems the OP was cruising along and seems to have met all their requirements so the only thing I could surmise from the posts was that the salary thing was what terminated his chances.

It sounded to me as though the job would need a particular type of person: single, unattached etc., in order to do all this travel with little to no notice. To me, the OP seemed the ideal candidate. It is unfortunate that they didn't present him with what they believed he should get and let him decide but it seems the $20k more than current touched a nerve with them and turned them off.
I think you are correct. The way the OP presented his salary requirements was the problem. When asked for a salary requirement, you know what the range is for that position. If you don't have exact experience but only transferable skills, you tell them you need someplace between the low end and the 70th percentile. Then you let them make you an offer. At that point you can tell them that you expected the package to be somewhat higher, and counter offer by 10-15% or so. You aren't going to get more than that, so don't bother to ask, you could quickly have your offer rescinded. You can also negotiate for a lower staring salary with a review at six months and one year and automatic raises with a favorable review.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:11 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times
The job description sounds like a treadmill that never stops. $70k isn't enough.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
The job description sounds like a treadmill that never stops. $70k isn't enough.
I've never heard of a job like that which didn't have a base salary plus a lucrative bonus tied to performance which can easily be higher than the base pay. Most sales jobs are like that, even if you are just sales support. I think the OP blew it with his lack of understanding of typical pay schemes for that field.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,696 times
Default VP of Marketing???

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You did everything right and have a right to be upset. With your high quality skills, you can find a better company. You dodged a bullet.

A $20k raise is certainly fine, if you are underpaid. Last year, I had offers for $12-20k more. I took the $20k.
What business, if any, is it that you would be about to make "mo money"? It sounds as if you met just about everyone in the damn company! These guys look like they're playing games.

You were right to call them on their attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search