Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 09:25 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I would have similar feelings about Jerusalem, Bethlehem, and Calgary.
I have heard that many Canadians make a yearly pilgrimage to Calgary, so it must be an important site for many.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:26 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I have heard that many Canadians make a yearly pilgrimage to Calgary, so it must be an important site for many.

i think this refers to jesus's cross at calgary(golgotha)

Old 01-06-2012, 05:32 PM

593 posts, read 890,418 times
Shalom I'm a evangelical christian in the infancy of changing to Judeo-christian (for what a title is worth) . It's more of an attempt to define who I strive to become and right now I feel a greater grafting to the olive branch of the Jew than ever before. We recognize and participate in al Jewish feasts although I confess we haven't had a routine sabbath meal. We celebrated Rosh Hashanah,
lit the menora in proprer sequence (servant candle of course) but very recently my wife and I experienced an event that has chnged our lives and has rekindled emphasis on the OT. A wonderful
Rabbi Johnathan Cahn published "The Harbinger" a 9 step revelation regarding judgement on this country by God referencing Isaiah 9:10 and a flow of "exact" events that mimic the Assyians aattack on a compacent Israel centuries ago. It's amazing and just one of many nearly hidden (to
seculars) not people like you who are blessed.

God be with you!!!
Das

Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,901 times
If Something was stollen a long time ago from God's Garden..from a certain place at the center of it all.....via two entities who were told not to touch it, least they would surely die....

When we hear the voice of Jesus (a Jew) saying: "Give onto God what belongs to God"... is this what Jesus ment by returning something stollen to God?....and if it be a plant of some kind...the act of putting it back in reverse or opposite state in which it was taken...(disobediance = sin)+(sin = Death) then ( Restoring what was taken + sinlessly inacted = Eternal Life?)

I was wondering why this idea format of thinking has yet to evolve in Human understanding...when we have the books, the words, the ideals..set before us in these holy books....yet no one tries to Give that back....or if they do try, they are imprisoned, repulsed, belittled, begiled, sacrificed, painted criminal, stupid, or other derogatory esteem labled..even slaughtered in war.......wonder why?

And yet some how the planet is showing us the need for some kind of eco friendly solution to the pollution problems now arising...and the climate needing some aid...climatizing the planet should be done in a natural way...with plants...and yet they will not allow people to grow certain plants for the right reasons....always in some bent way out of order to the idea of putting something back sinlessly....can it be done by anyone without persicution?...And is that what Jesus ment by saying Give back to God what belongs to him?

Just want to know what a Jew would say to a Jew on this matter.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:53 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Thank you for your answers! I, for one, believe if a woman is involved in a religion where it may "seem" or even be so, that the man is over the woman, and she is happy with that situation, then all power to her. When I was a Christian, I had no problem saying my husband was head of the house. I didn't feel I was a lesser person because of it. I was happy with the role my God gave me.
I've been taught that the woman really holds the power, however, she submits her power to her husband...the man may be the "head", but the woman is the "neck". The head can only turn if the neck permits it. The neck holds the head up/supports the head

Old 01-07-2012, 07:26 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
I saw a documentary a few years ago on Orthodox Judaism and one thing I saw infuriated me and made me very anti-religion. I have never forgotten it.

It was this couple who spent HOURS AND HOURS every day washing lettuce because of the prescription not to ever eat a bug. This made me crazy, beyond all belief, because how can you even know if you have eaten a small bug? It just seemed like a ridiculous waste of time and for me, just demonstrated why organized religion is the bane of mankind.

How do you defend such a silly rule?

Old 01-08-2012, 10:13 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
I've been taught that the woman really holds the power, however, she submits her power to her husband...the man may be the "head", but the woman is the "neck". The head can only turn if the neck permits it. The neck holds the head up/supports the head

Old 01-08-2012, 12:53 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I saw a documentary a few years ago on Orthodox Judaism and one thing I saw infuriated me and made me very anti-religion. I have never forgotten it.

It was this couple who spent HOURS AND HOURS every day washing lettuce because of the prescription not to ever eat a bug. This made me crazy, beyond all belief, because how can you even know if you have eaten a small bug? It just seemed like a ridiculous waste of time and for me, just demonstrated why organized religion is the bane of mankind.

How do you defend such a silly rule?
Funny timing, as I spent about 5 minutes carefully washing my strawberries and lettuce before lunch today. While I was doing that, I was humming along and was lost in thought. It never occurred to me that it was tedious or ridiculous. I suppose it's all a matter of perspective.

How do I defend such a silly rule? Well I'm not terribly judgemental about which of G-d's laws I like, and which ones I don't. It's much easier just to follow them. You either accept the Torah and what's inside, or you don't. I of course do accept it. The whole thing - washed lettuce and all.

Perhaps some of you know this. A Jew will not put a single bite of food or drink in his mouth without first saying a bracha (a prayer thanking and recognizing Hashem). Different types of foods have different brachas. The Jew must stop and think before eating anything, where did this food come from? When he is able to answer that question, he then knows which bracha to make. Some people may make brachas in order to eat, but classic Jewish thinking is that it's the reverse. We eat, in order that we are able to make brachas, and therefore recognize and thank Hashem for His creating the world, and every item contained inside.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:56 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Funny timing, as I spent about 5 minutes carefully washing my strawberries and lettuce before lunch today. While I was doing that, I was humming along and was lost in thought. It never occurred to me that it was tedious or ridiculous. I suppose it's all a matter of perspective.

How do I defend such a silly rule? Well I'm not terribly judgemental about which of G-d's laws I like, and which ones I don't. It's much easier just to follow them. You either accept the Torah and what's inside, or you don't. I of course do accept it. The whole thing - washed lettuce and all.

Perhaps some of you know this. A Jew will not put a single bite of food or drink in his mouth without first saying a bracha (a prayer thanking and recognizing Hashem). Different types of foods have different brachas. The Jew must stop and think before eating anything, where did this food come from? When he is able to answer that question, he then knows which bracha to make. Some people may make brachas in order to eat, but classic Jewish thinking is that it's the reverse. We eat, in order that we are able to make brachas, and therefore recognize and thank Hashem for His creating the world, and every item contained inside.
Thank you for your response. I think it is very beautiful that you pray that way.

I think what got to me was the inordinate time spent and the fact that you can't really know if you got them all - so they probably HAVE eaten bugs and how important is that really?

Old 01-08-2012, 12:57 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
If Something was stollen a long time ago from God's Garden..from a certain place at the center of it all.....via two entities who were told not to touch it, least they would surely die....

When we hear the voice of Jesus (a Jew) saying: "Give onto God what belongs to God"... is this what Jesus ment by returning something stollen to God?....and if it be a plant of some kind...the act of putting it back in reverse or opposite state in which it was taken...(disobediance = sin)+(sin = Death) then ( Restoring what was taken + sinlessly inacted = Eternal Life?)

I was wondering why this idea format of thinking has yet to evolve in Human understanding...when we have the books, the words, the ideals..set before us in these holy books....yet no one tries to Give that back....or if they do try, they are imprisoned, repulsed, belittled, begiled, sacrificed, painted criminal, stupid, or other derogatory esteem labled..even slaughtered in war.......wonder why?

And yet some how the planet is showing us the need for some kind of eco friendly solution to the pollution problems now arising...and the climate needing some aid...climatizing the planet should be done in a natural way...with plants...and yet they will not allow people to grow certain plants for the right reasons....always in some bent way out of order to the idea of putting something back sinlessly....can it be done by anyone without persicution?...And is that what Jesus ment by saying Give back to God what belongs to him?

Just want to know what a Jew would say to a Jew on this matter.
Sorry Sir les, I'm just not qualified to give an opinion on any Chrstian concepts. And as best I can tell, none of your post is rooted in any Jewish concepts I've ever heard of.

But if you're just looking for a justification for being an environmentalist, than go for it. Jews believe G-d made the world, and that He asked us (mankind, not just the Jews) to be His partners in creation. So the jewish view is that when we ruin the world, we are ruining our own creation (not to mention G-d's as well). Not cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism