Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 09:30 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFleurMobile View Post
I have a few question crazy questions but I will ask them one post at a time. First,what's the Jewish fascination with African Americans? (dating/friendships/etc)
I'm unfamiliar with that fascination.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFleurMobile View Post
How does Reform Judaism justify its acceptance of gay marriage. I was taught of this in a philosophy class and we didn't go over this in-detail like I may have liked. Perhaps there is something in reform Judaism that perhaps other religions can borrow/learn from? Scripture quotes are welcome.
You would have to start by understanding the view reform Judaism has regarding mosaic law. If it is seen as a man made construct reflecting mores of the time, and subject to change then man can change the law as the times change.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:39 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,716,744 times
What happened to Shabbat? Not posting and/or respecting the Shabbos, the Sabbath?!?

Of course I expect no answer today or ever for that matter. Entirely up to you of course, but just curious about these notions and behaviors as usual...

Old 02-11-2018, 09:52 AM

Nothing happened to it. I observed at as per the time zone in which I live.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Nothing happened to it. I observed at as per the time zone in which I live.
So if I am replying to you where it is the Sabbath where I am, but not where you are, and if I am not Jewish and you are, am I still wrong?

Reminds me of another question I've often contemplated. If a man says something in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

Old 02-11-2018, 10:02 AM

First point is that if you are not obligated in keeping the sabbath then when you do whatever you do is not a problem. The next is that if you respond to me when it is still the sabbath where I am, I won't know it because my computer will be off.

The only question I could imagine is if I am in a direct conversation with you via a chat room (I am choosing this specifically) and it is the sabbath where you are but not where I am, whether conversing with you is any problem. When we talk about forbidden actions, we talk about whether one can ask someone to do something which he, himself cannot do. However, not only am I not asking you to so something on my behalf, but at that moment, I am actually able to do it because it is no the sabbath where I am.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
First point is that if you are not obligated in keeping the sabbath then when you do whatever you do is not a problem. The next is that if you respond to me when it is still the sabbath where I am, I won't know it because my computer will be off.

The only question I could imagine is if I am in a direct conversation with you via a chat room (I am choosing this specifically) and it is the sabbath where you are but not where I am, whether conversing with you is any problem. When we talk about forbidden actions, we talk about whether one can ask someone to do something which he, himself cannot do. However, not only am I not asking you to so something on my behalf, but at that moment, I am actually able to do it because it is no the sabbath where I am.
Must be difficult for Jews to have jobs in retail that are 24/7, or is this also a matter of personal choice?

Not to beat that dead horse again, but what to believe let alone do, right?

If I am not mistaken, to truly observe the sabbath a Jew not only needs to worship on a Saturday, but not allowed to work, (Exodus 31:15, 35:2), must stay home and not travel (Exodus 16:29), not buy or sell things (Jeremiah 17:21), not prepare food, light a fire (Exodus 35:3) to cook, bake, or boil water (Exodus 16:23). For some special sabbaths, you must fast and maintain other abstinence for a full day. (Leviticus 16:31, 23:32). Not keeping the sabbath is considered a capital offense. Posting in this forum on the Sabbath punishable by death or life in prison...

This what you choose to believe and do as well?

I know a Jew or two who don't...

As for my "day of rest," I've got to sign off now and get on with better enjoying yet another beautiful day here. Cheers!

Old 02-11-2018, 10:22 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Must be difficult for Jews to have jobs in retail that are 24/7, or is this also a matter of personal choice?

Not to beat that dead horse again, but what to believe let alone do, right?

If I am not mistaken, to truly observe the sabbath a Jew not only needs to worship on a Saturday, but not allowed to work, (Exodus 31:15, 35:2), must stay home and not travel (Exodus 16:29), not buy or sell things (Jeremiah 17:21), not prepare food, light a fire (Exodus 35:3) to cook, bake, or boil water (Exodus 16:23). For some special sabbaths, you must fast and maintain other abstinence for a full day. (Leviticus 16:31, 23:32). Not keeping the sabbath is considered a capital offense. Posting in this forum on the Sabbath punishable by death or life in prison...

This what you choose to believe and do as well?

I know a Jew or two who don't...

As for my "day of rest," I've got to sign off now and get on with better enjoying yet another beautiful day here. Cheers!
Not difficult at all...I won’t work from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown...And I work building business Jets...

Old 02-11-2018, 10:29 AM

Currently observing the sabbath requires refraining from certain (categories of) activities and engaging in others. We have no religious court so one who chooses to break the rules is not punished by a court (though there are some communal responses possible).

Old 02-11-2018, 11:07 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Not difficult at all...I won’t work from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown...And I work building business Jets...

In addition the key word is "work". Those of us who state we don't "work", don't "work".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism