Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:37 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,838,652 times

Advertisements

I'm bringing the whole family back in March, so maybe then.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM

450 posts, read 1,514,861 times
JFK, I'm not berating your move to NY, but how in the heck do you deal with the high property taxes, and taxes on everything else out there? Those politicians are scamming taxpayers left and right. My parents were paying $6,600 a year property taxes on a house that they just sold for $155,000 in February. It was built in 1986 for $115,000 when we bought it. And hopefully you're not a smoker....my friend said packs are up to $10.75 a pack!!!! And now NYS wants to control the sales of tobacco on the Indian Reservations, not by taxing which is against tribal treaties, but they want to control how many cartons of each particular brand is sold in one year. That right there is a complete lack of respect from the politicians towards the Native American people. I've totally lost all respect for the state of NY and will NEVER move back there. I don't care how cheap housing is...taxes are going to make up for that.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,596,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Isn't living in Southern Nevada grand?
Yes it is! I'm loving the weather!

Old 12-13-2010, 12:57 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,477,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post
JFK, I'm not berating your move to NY, but how in the heck do you deal with the high property taxes, and taxes on everything else out there? Those politicians are scamming taxpayers left and right. My parents were paying $6,600 a year property taxes on a house that they just sold for $155,000 in February. It was built in 1986 for $115,000 when we bought it. And hopefully you're not a smoker....my friend said packs are up to $10.75 a pack!!!! And now NYS wants to control the sales of tobacco on the Indian Reservations, not by taxing which is against tribal treaties, but they want to control how many cartons of each particular brand is sold in one year. That right there is a complete lack of respect from the politicians towards the Native American people. I've totally lost all respect for the state of NY and will NEVER move back there. I don't care how cheap housing is...taxes are going to make up for that.
jfk doesn't live in the more populated, high taxed areas of NY. He lives in a semi rural area, sparsely populated, trailer home parks, not too much commercial, no big housing developments, no big apartment complexes, etc., and not a lot of infrastructure like in NYC or Long Island.

His taxes would be the sky high figure (and even more than that) you listed if he lived in those areas.

BTW lyra, my sis lives on LI, 1400 sq ft house with 75 x 150 ft property and her property taxes are $9,000 a year!!!

Big difference between upstate NY and lower state (5 boroughs and LI) as far as property taxes go.

And yeah, the first thing people do who visit us from NY is go buy their cigarettes here, lol.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:45 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,893,069 times
High of 68 here in Denver today and I didn't have to endure any 110 degree days in summer either. And oh yeah virtually no snow so far and little much in the forecast through the end of the month

Old 12-13-2010, 01:46 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post
MomMom is right...I live on a mountain outside of Catskill, NY. I own a 5 BR home on 1.8 acres and pay $3000/year for school tax and property tax combined. I am surrounded on each side (4 acres each...for a total of 16 acres) by undeveloped wooded property. Deer, fox, turkey, black bear, turtles, coydogs, and even a horse (escaped from nearby farm) have graced my property. Nearest full-blown supermarket (Super Walmart) is 15 miles away. Oddly...a McDonald's is only 5 miles away??? I absolutely love it. I work across the river from Albany (50 miles north).

I grew up on LI...and was heavily taxed there. My dad left there in 2006, had a 100 x 100 (quarter-acre) plot and was paying more than $8000/year. As MomMom said...things are different up here (we don't have any fancy-schmancy library...and share our little one with other towns). LI, on the other hand, each town has its own hi-tech library, with each town competing with the one right next door for who has the better one. LI schools compete with each other the same way. LI uses its own county police for all the crime they have there (Nassau/Suffolk police are two of the highest, if not THE highest, in the nation)....we use the NYS Police. Many differences...and like you say you would never move back to Buffalo...I would never move back to LI (I don't think I would ever consider Buffalo, either ). It's like a whole different state up here...more New England-like, where I am.

BTW...not a cigarette smoker. Raise those prices to the moon!

Last edited by jfkIII; 12-13-2010 at 02:39 PM..

Old 12-13-2010, 01:49 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Yup, you got it.

Only thing is not a lot of the newbies are being weeded out. They stayed, they are still here, and I think every single one of them was at one of the Boca Park restaurants this weekend, lol.
Im a newbie, and I was not there

Old 12-13-2010, 01:51 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,477,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Im a newbie, and I was not there
Too bad for you Davie!

Old 12-13-2010, 02:18 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,585,319 times
I know. From what I understand, with the exception of Grimaldi's (courtesy of MMOB) I hear most of the Boca Park restaurants are delicious

And to MMOB I wanted to give you a little road music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-xetxYwyak
This seems like the kind of song somebody would listen to on a road trip in a convertible in the warm Southern Nevada sun Enjoy

Old 12-13-2010, 02:36 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,596,827 times
Ha, well, just don't youtube and drive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas