Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2020, 07:56 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,554,150 times

Advertisements

I think calling it the Wuhan or CCP Virus is just fine. That's where it's being reported to have originated from.

Until the government in China gets serious about curbing the poaching and the sale of exotic animals at these markets, institute a travel ban and maintain it until China and other SEA countries show they've seriously put a stop to it.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:18 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,280,492 times
It's not fine when Trump is calling it that and inciting a coronavirus culture war to save his own skin by playing to his bigoted conspiracy theory loving base.

Some of my best friends here are Chinese and have already seen backlash from bigots over it, and some of them are Republicans themselves. There's a conservative Chinese contingent in America. I think that's why he stopped using that term because he learned it will hurt him come election time.

I read they reopened the wet market but some cities did institute a ban on selling cat and dog meat. No mention of the other more exotic stuff.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:01 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,032,119 times
Quote:
Trump shutdown flights in February.
Nope, flights from China were shut down on January 31.

Quote:
The first cases were in November-December. He had two to three months to prepare and did NOTHING even though he was warned, repeatedly.
Nope. China hid the virus and prosecuted doctors who raised the alarm. On January 9 the WHO first warned of a flu-like virus in China. On January 14 the WHO stated that there was no reason to believe that person to person transmission was possible. On January 15 an infected person flew from Wuhan to the US, the first known case in the US.

Quote:
He also dismantled the NSC team that Obama setup which handled these situations with praise
Nope. The office was dissolved in a reorganization. The staff remained and continued to do the same job.

Just about everything you believe is wrong and shows a strong political bias. The response to the virus was rather quick considering the president and congress were completely absorbed in a warrant-less impeachment trial until February 5.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post

So Feb.

Nope. China hid the virus and prosecuted doctors who raised the alarm. On January 9 the WHO first warned of a flu-like virus in China. On January 14 the WHO stated that there was no reason to believe that person to person transmission was possible. On January 15 an infected person flew from Wuhan to the US, the first known case in the US.

Doctor who raised the alarm did it in Nov-Dec. The CCP hid it. Do we need to go over again Trump calling it a democrat hoax from the start?

Nope. The office was dissolved in a reorganization. The staff remained and continued to do the same job.

No. He gutted the group and all his officers.

Just about everything you believe is wrong and shows a strong political bias. The response to the virus was rather quick considering the president and congress were completely absorbed in a warrant-less impeachment trial until February 5.
Of course I'm bias. At least I can admit it. The Impeachment trail wasn't warrentless and that shows your bias. He's got impeached and that's forever. He should have been impeached for a hell of a lot more too.

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 04-06-2020 at 09:38 AM..

Old 04-06-2020, 09:24 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,655,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I cheated and asked my husband. He's been following the curve. He says we're set to peak the next two weeks and a local lab is developing 200 test kits a day for us. He said UMC is full to the brim with C19 cases.

His prediction is 150-200 dead and 5,000 confirmed cases for the next week. I hope the numbers are lower and social distancing stay-at-home orders are working.
When I posted my guess, I had actually cut my REAL guess as I didn't want to come across as a chicken-little type. My real guess was closer to your husband's lower-bound.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
When I posted my guess, I had actually cut my REAL guess as I didn't want to come across as a chicken-little type. My real guess was closer to your husband's lower-bound.
I was chicken little too. That's why I asked him. When I look at his numbers it just seems astronomical to me for one week. Maybe it could be that in two weeks but in one? I don't know. We don't even have enough tests to get to 5,000 confirmed cases in a week. I guess we'll see.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:48 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
LMAO. Go drive around and tell me people are sheltering in place.
People are absolutely not sheltering in place.
There's more people out and about right now than I've ever seen in my life. It's like a damn holiday every day.
I have friends all over the country and they're all complaining and posting pics of people just jam packed everywhere. Bunches of articles about it as well.
Judging by the amount of people out and about, this "virus" will kill 10s of millions because everyone is out and about. No one knows how to use gloves or a mask. Most of the masks don't even work like people think.
And I suppose if I asked you for proof you would tell me "numerous YouTube videos"

Old 04-06-2020, 10:00 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,554,150 times
Quote:
It's not fine when Trump is calling it that and inciting a coronavirus culture war to save his own skin by playing to his bigoted conspiracy theory loving base.

Some of my best friends here are Chinese and have already seen backlash from bigots over it, and some of them are Republicans themselves. There's a conservative Chinese contingent in America. I think that's why he stopped using that term because he learned it will hurt him come election time.

I read they reopened the wet market but some cities did institute a ban on selling cat and dog meat. No mention of the other more exotic stuff.
The exotic stuff is what started all this. At this point American companies need to move their factories out of China, maybe then China will take this more seriously. There was already pressure to do this. If that doesn't work, maybe more warships need to be placed along those BS islands China keeps annexing till they get with the program.

Remove all those other immigration programs. I think immigrants can still invest $250k in USA and you get an expedited green card process.

Put a 10-15% tax on any real estate purchase from outside investors like Canada did.

3 viruses have originated in China within the last 2 decades. It's not okay.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:01 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,655,496 times
Quote:
I read in NYC they're trying to get antibody tests from Germany. They propose people who survived can wear wrist bands and go back to work. Wuhan just reopened after several months of total lockdown. They say that 80% herd immunity plus a vaccine, which will take 18 months on the fast track, is when we will start getting back to normal, but the President doesn't want to wait that long. He was talking about reopening the country by Easter in mid April and then extended it till the end of the month because it would be before we peak. Doctors say ideally we should be shut down until mid June. Again, I don't think they'll wait to extend it that long here. The top doctor, Anthony Fauci, said likely reoccurrences will be in waves over the next 18 months and we may need to shutdown more than once. That it will become seasonal unless we can get it under control globally. The 1918 Spanish Flu came in three waves with the second wave being the most deadliest.
The antibody test with wristband idea is a good one. I suspect at some point, the survivors might be conscripted into critical needs jobs. The waiter who survived may be conscripted into stocking shelves or working in warehouses, for example. If not conscripted, then heavily encouraged.

This morning I read Austria is planning to start opening small businesses - not all at once, but a trickle, then more, then medium sized and ultimately larger businesses. They plan to monitor the data, of course, and alter the plan as appropriate. That's encouraging.

Regarding the President and other elected leaders, they are in a tough spot. They have to stress social isolation & social distancing, PLUS they have to paint a picture of a brighter tomorrow. Our leaders govern only with the Consent of the Governed; if our elected leaders at the federal, state, and local levels do not paint a vision of a better tomorrow and light at the end of the tunnel, the Consent of the Governed might rapidly evaporate. When they do talk about getting back to normal, I personally view those statements as being statements of hope more than forecasts of what actually will happen. If elected leaders were honest and came out and said "it's probable that the 2020-21 NFL season and college football will both be cancelled," many very bad things would probably happen.

A life-long close friend of mine has spent his professional career in medical research - but nothing that gives him expertise in the coronavirus. He has an MD from Harvard, PhD in Epidemiology and another PhD in Neuroscience from Johns Hopkins, board certified in Neurology. He did his neurology residency at UC San Francisco. He spent his life researching cures/treatments for Alzheimer's and for Parkinson's, both in the lab and supervising clinical trials, and prior to retirement, was chief medical officer of a few biotech companies.

While his background is not close to pulmonology or virology, he is medically well educated and trained, a really smart guy, and also someone who is quiet and never exaggerates. He doesn't need to establish he's the smartest guy in the room; if you're really smart & educated, you'll realize he really is.

At the risk of speaking for him and accidentally misrepresenting his views, he'd state the following:
  • The data are really, really suspect.
  • The models are better than wild-assed-guesses, but far from reliable.
  • The takeaway from these models shouldn't be to forecast how many coffins to build - the takeaway is this is a very dangerous virus and social isolation/lockdown/hygiene are extremely important in the coming weeks/months.
  • All the discussion about a vaccine being available in 18 months are based on a huge assumption that the vaccines discovered will be both effective enough and safe enough to be manufactured & administered, and that is NOT a given.
  • We're looking at the pandemic stage lasting into 2022 before it is no longer considered a pandemic.

My sister-in-law also has spent most all her career in medical research. Her MD also is from Harvard, she's board certified in internal medicine with a fellowship in pulmonology, and performed her residency at Brigham and Women's Hospital. The past 30 years she's supervised clinical trials. Again, at the risk of speaking for her:
  • Ten days ago she said "plan on shelter-in-place for 18 months."
  • Yesterday she said she's revised that to "plan on shelter-in-place for 24 months."
  • She also said, "don't count on a vaccine."

She's a very compassionate and humanistic person. She says "Plan B" will be to let the virus run wild, and after a nasty several months with multiple millions of deaths in the USA, we'll then have herd immunity and it won't be a pandemic anymore. Effectively, that's what will happen in many 3rd world countries.

Finally, the longer term hope is the virus evolves to be less deadly. There are reasons to believe this may happen.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 04-06-2020 at 11:06 AM..

Old 04-06-2020, 10:10 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
It was February 4th and they were never actually 'shut down' [/quote]

Quote:
Italy imposed a ban on flights from China on 31 January, immediately after a Chinese couple in Rome tested positive for the virus. The U.S. began to restrict flights from China four days later. But while Italy enacted a full ban, the U.S. policy was only a restriction, with wide exemptions.
On February 4 the U.S. State Department issued a level 4 travel advisory mandating that foreign citizens who had been to China be turned away, and Americans who had been to China must undergo screening and possibly be put in quarantine for 14 days. But the restrictions contained wide exemptions, largely because of fears over the economic impacts of a full ban. Flight routes between the U.S. and China have been steadily cancelled over the past month, but in a piecemeal fashion and at the discretion of airlines.

By contrast, the Italian ban four days earlier was complete, with no exemptions. Italy was the first and only EU country to have a flight ban from China, and yet the country is now the epicenter of the Coronavirus outbreak in Europe with the highest number of cases outside China. https://www.forbes.com/sites/davekea.../#f5ef905481ba
Quote:
  • On Dec. 31, the Chinese informed the World Health Organization’s China office of the mysterious pneumonia cases in Wuhan. WHO officials sent Beijing a list of questions about the outbreak and offered assistance....
  • WHO never said that there was no reason to believe that person to person transmission was possible, they said "Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel" (words matter)
Quote:
Absolutely untrue!

Quote:
WASHINGTON—In May 2018, President Donald Trump’s biodefense preparedness adviser warned that a flu pandemic was the country’s No. 1 health security threat, and the U.S. was not prepared. “We know that it cannot be stopped at the border,” Luciana Borio, director of medical and biodefense preparedness at the National Security Council, said at a symposium that day. Borio left the Trump administration in 2019. Other high-level global health experts headed for the exits even earlier, after the White House dismantled the National Security Council’s global health security office. The demise of that elite team is now under scrutiny as the Trump administration struggles to respond to the coronavirus pandemic. Trump bristled when asked about his decision to disband the office at a news conference in the Rose Garden on Friday.
“I just think it's a nasty question,” the president responded. “And when you say ‘me,' I didn't do it. ... I don't know anything about it.” https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...se/5064881002/
Quote:
ya think?
Quote:
Before, during, and after the impeachment trial — and after the CDC issued its first warnings — Trump held political rallies and attended several golf outings.

As stated in the above-displayed tweet, Trump visited a golf course on Jan. 18 and 19, Feb. 1 and 15, and March 7 and 8. All of these golf outings took place at Trump International Golf Course in West Palm Beach, Florida. Trump also hosted rallies on Jan. 9 (Ohio), 14 (Wisconsin), 28 (New Jersey) 30 (Iowa), and on Feb. 10 (New Hampshire), 19 (Arizona), 20 (Colorado), 21 (Nevada), and 28 (South Carolina). At his rally in South Carolina on Feb. 28, Trump spoke to the audience about the new coronavirus, accusing Democrats of “politicizing” the virus and claiming the U.S. was “totally prepared.” https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...s-coronavirus/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas