Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 04:13 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Oscar Goodman...when are you going to tackle the most important issue facing Las Vegas...WATER!!!
No water = No Las Vegas
Well, in Europe, during the Middle Ages, there was water, yes, but you couldn't drink it, it was way too polluted for anyone to drink.

So? The only other alternative was drinking beverages that were fermented.
If push comes to shove..........................

Old 05-26-2010, 04:28 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Oscar Goodman...when are you going to tackle the most important issue facing Las Vegas...WATER!!!
No water = No Las Vegas
If believing that makes you happy, then so be it.

I guess you didn't see this on the other thread where you posted the same silly nonsense. This project has been on the books for years, it's now in its beginning stages....

Workers to begin underwater blasting at Lake Mead site - News - ReviewJournal.com

Oh and by the way, good luck with your move and job hunting in North Dee Kotey..

Last edited by MomMom; 05-26-2010 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: punctuation every time...

Old 05-26-2010, 04:36 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Davie,

I have to admit I am disappointed that you are letting your parents ruin your dream. I remember your parents also told you not to meet me because I was going to kidnap and then rob you so they are not giving you good advice. That did not happen and neither will this. I have driven my car back and forth to Phoenix multiple times with no issues. Now you have seen my car and know it is a piece of crap compared to yours. Your car will not break down from how you described it to me, but if you are really worried you can get a $109 yearly membership to AAA and the problem is solved.

California State Automobile Association - Insurance, Automotive, Discounts, Travel and Road Side Assistance

Now, back in March of 2006 when I moved to Vegas all my family and friends highly advised against me moving here. They all said I would fail and they would count the days until I would be back. I was extremely miserable in Phoenix just like you are in Orlando. I went against everyone else's advice and followed my dream. Here I am 4 year later. It was tough sometimes but I did what I had to do to stay here and I succeeded. You can too. I will be your friend no matter what you chose, but I do hope you take this post to heart and reconsider. It seems to me your parents are overprotective and do not want you to leave the nest, but that is only hurting you.
Listen, everyone on here did our best to give the kid advice. He's young and there's still plenty of time for him to leave the nest and head west when his conditions improve. He may not even have any desire to move to Las Vegas in the near future at all.

Las Vegas will still be here when he's really ready, if the time ever comes. Good decision Davie, I think you made the right choice.

People on here gave good advice and extended themselves on a personal level, that's a lot more than anybody can expect. LVD, you are my love...a truly good person.

Enough of this already...

Old 05-26-2010, 04:46 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,481 times
Even if you did break down, AAA or any other road side service will help you out. I've blown a tire in the "middle of nowhere" CA desert (in between Barstow and Nevada state line) and while my friends and family didn't come to help me out, a tow truck did. I certainly don't think you should base this decision to not move on the possibility that you might break down in a less populated area.

As for everything else- it is easy to stick with what you know, but if you're not happy in Orlando then what are you gaining by staying there? It's not like you are leaving somewhere you love to take a chance on somewhere new. You already know you dislike where you currently are, so in the worst case scenario that you come here and don't like it, you really are no worse off. But if you do like it, then you will be so much better off than you are now.

Vegas is a gambling town, so lets break down the odds. Based off what I've read of your posts, the odds are 100% that staying in Orlando will not make you happy. If you move to Vegas, there are 2 options- you'll love it or you'll be unhappy here too. So that makes the odds of being unhappy 50%, vs. 100% in Orlando. In your case, Vegas is the better bet.

You are young and have no reason not to give it a try! Just because your family and friends wouldn't be able to do it doesn't mean you wont. Remember- they are not going to base their life plans on what you're doing, and you should not base yours around them.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:28 PM

638 posts, read 2,243,299 times
Moving across the country is very stressful and its natrual for you to feel a little lost. I have done it twice and each time I got cold feet and started thinking of every possible reason why I should stay put. On my way out to Vegas I had zero job or interviews lined up and I had only enough money to live on for a month, so it was certainly stressful.

Seven years later, I was packing up again to move to the East Coast. Again, very stressful but in a different way. By now I had a house in Vegas I could not sell... the mortgage, the loan for the car I was also upside down on and would no longer even need, the cat I did not want to take with me... plus I was moving from Vegas, one of the cheapest cities to live in, to NY, one of the most expensive.. It was a TON of stress and I almost gave up.

You have to take one challenge or hurdle at time and deal with it individually. If you worry about all the scenarios and challenges all at once you will freak out. Stick to your guns and do what you feel in your gut. You are so young. You will probably move around a lot in your life. Most people do. These fears you have are just a part of being alive so try to understand that its ok to feel overwhelmed; its how you handle those feelings that will make or break you.

I was so stressed and down on myself just before my last move that my friend recommended that I borrow one of his books to read. It is called The Alchemist and think you should read it. That book changed my whole outlook and was one of the only things that kept me focused enough and gave me the boost to get off my ass and do what knew I needed to do. Had I let fear overtake me, I'd still be in Vegas.

Not saying Vegas is bad, just was time for me to move on.

You will be ok!

Old 05-26-2010, 05:28 PM

61 posts, read 134,712 times
Of course your parents want you to stay that's just how they are over protected and "worry worts." I don't see much risk at all if you move to Vegas. If you fail miserably at least your parents could bail you out worse case scenario. Your 20 years old take the shot live cheaply and quite frugal as it is. Do it.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:29 PM

470 posts, read 1,155,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Well, in Europe, during the Middle Ages, there was water, yes, but you couldn't drink it, it was way too polluted for anyone to drink.

So? The only other alternative was drinking beverages that were fermented.
If push comes to shove..........................
True that!
Having come from Nevada, I can attest that at least 25% of the drivers on the road on any given day have protected themselves from contaminated water by imbibing fermented beverages.

Note to Vegas Drivers: Avoid driving on Swenson or E. Fremont just after Happy Hour...LOL

Old 05-26-2010, 05:51 PM

113 posts, read 306,169 times
Default Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Have faith in your abilities, grasshopper!

I agree with 99% of the posts here! I think the dread of thinking you are "stuck" somewhere would be worse than the feeling of going back. But, sometimes that feeling of going back is what propels you forward.

And working at a Vons at 20 yrs old is not a bad start. You will have an income, maybe make some connections that become valuable and then you can decide which path to take. If furthering your education is important, you can do that then.

Have you decided when? Are you driving alone?
TELL ME ABOUT IT !!!!
Just don't tell yourself that there is a pot of gold waiting for you in Vegas...your gonna have to earn every penny,but thats how most of us started at your age.....

Old 05-26-2010, 06:22 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,943,404 times
You already know what I think, Davie. But, the thought just crossed my mind that maybe YOU feel that you are not ready yet and are looking for others to TELL you that you are or aren't.

Being afraid of change is normal. Very normal. You have read all the testimonies. Good and bad. Look past the fear and really get into yourself and ask yourself if you really want to MOVE there. Maybe just go back and visit for a while.

Understand though, while there is no rush and you are very young...a lot of people wait and meanwhile life kicks in and time passes and they never get around to following that dream. That's ok too, because sometimes that life choice is great too...but I hate to see you regret not doing it, if it is truly what you want to do.

I, personally, won't begrudge you either way....don't beat yourself up.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,410,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
davie better be on the road by now!! he has an interview on Monday
That is so great that you hooked Davie up for that interview with the M Resort. That is quite an opportunity for a young man like Davie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas