Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 04:51 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times

Advertisements

Guys, I'm so sad.
I think about Vegas.. or see pics of the mountains, lake mead...the long deserted roads..and I feel homesick.
I've only visited it there 4x and have been head over heels in love with it. I just can't wait for this economy to get better.. so I can save, get a job there..and start living where I want. I just know saying 'F IT' and getting an apartment out here and bringing my savings with no job lined up would be very irrational.

Sorry, sorry. Just having a moment. Yesterday was 100 degrees here in NJ with 88% humidity. I was in Vegas in July and it was 116 and it was a lot nice than what we had yesterday.. lol

Hope you all have a good weekend. Even if you are one of them Vegas/Nevada haters, enjoy it for all of those who want to be there but can't

Old 06-10-2011, 05:03 PM

127 posts, read 227,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
I used to be a lot more forgiving of the homeless till an incident in an ER here. I was working in said ER and we had a homeless patient get brought in drunk and claiming stomach pain.

The guy starts demanding food (remember he's signed in for stomach pain meaning nothing by mouth till he's proved non surgical). When denied he starts threatening how he's coming to my home to rape my wife, he's going to get a knife and cut me etc. He ran without being seen by the doc when security showed up.

The very next day in the parking lot of a K mart here's this same ummm individual begging in a parking lot. He was being awful meek and mild, head down and shuffling, talking about being disabled ad has trouble walking. So I look at this and ask " Hey! Don't you remember me from the ER yesterday? You were going to cut me and rape my wife! No rules today, bring it."

Dirtbag turned and ran away. So much for being disabled.
I just donate to the mission a couple of times a year. Never to the street "pros".

Old 06-10-2011, 05:06 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Guys, I'm so sad.
I think about Vegas.. or see pics of the mountains, lake mead...the long deserted roads..and I feel homesick.
I've only visited it there 4x and have been head over heels in love with it. I just can't wait for this economy to get better.. so I can save, get a job there..and start living where I want. I just know saying 'F IT' and getting an apartment out here and bringing my savings with no job lined up would be very irrational.
Sorry, sorry. Just having a moment. Yesterday was 100 degrees here in NJ with 88% humidity. I was in Vegas in July and it was 116 and it was a lot nice than what we had yesterday.. lol

Hope you all have a good weekend. Even if you are one of them Vegas/Nevada haters, enjoy it for all of those who want to be there but can't
Very irrational in this economy.

When the time is right H0tmess, all things will work out for you and come to pass.... and you'll know deep down that the time is right for you to make the move.

Until then, do as others do, stay here on the forum and "viva Las Vegas" from afar.

You have a good weekend too!

Old 06-10-2011, 05:28 PM

Thank you!
I DO work for an international company (Ikon/Richoh) and I know they have at least one firm in Vegas. We are working in a very large law firm, that is also international. (Duane Morris).

My partner works for Starbucks.

It sounds good in theory that we'd be able to transfer jobs, but my inner feelings say "No, probably not" lol We both haven't been in our new jobs very long. Him a year in October, I've been here 4 months. I just don't see us being able to transfer anytime soon, but at least it's a possibility, I guess.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:35 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times
Quote:
Guys, I'm so sad.

Rationality often stems from doing the opposite of what you fear. The mind can make a list of excuses for eternity. If you want to live here, live here and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Be prepared to reinvent yourself and step out of your comfort zone though.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Rationality often stems from doing the opposite of what you fear. The mind can make a list of excuses for eternity. If you want to live here, live here and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Be prepared to reinvent yourself and step out of your comfort zone though.
I agree. But you know what's telling me not to right now? Common sense. It's not the media.. I have read on forums (other than this) about how bad it is there right now.

Going there with limited money and not finding a job is just a recipe for disaster. I am OK with life throwing a curveball, and making things difficult for a while.. but under that situation I would put myself IN a bad situation. I much rather eventually fall into one, rather then go into one head first.

But I do understand and agree with what you are saying 100%. I'm not afraid of changing my scenary, meeting people, being away from family -- I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to get an income to keep me alive out there.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:42 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Well everyone, have a wonderful weekend. I feel like a schoolgirl again...

I am getting ready to go to the MGM in just a little bit, and do the same thing I did in 1965 at Shea Stadium in NYC...scream my bloody head off for Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

Tomorrow night, it's Three Dog Night and War at The Southpoint.

Lovely weekend...and I hope yours are too!

Old 06-10-2011, 05:45 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Default Day dreaming

I do that all the time - day dreaming of being in Las Vegas - hi Mom Mom, Las Vegas
Drunk, and all the other characters that inhabit this thread. My love to you all!
I was in Las Vegas in April with my son, and will be back in October. I can't wait to
be back in the crazy Las Vegas world. There is nowhere in the world like it, and
nowhere I'd rather spend my holiday time. Sorry about the Sahara, I said my
goodbyes in April. See you soon!!

Old 06-10-2011, 06:05 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post

I am getting ready to go to the MGM in just a little bit, and do the same thing I did in 1965 at Shea Stadium in NYC...scream my bloody head off for Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

Rock on Mom Mom!

Old 06-10-2011, 06:16 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post

Go you MomMom! My summer vacation officially started yesterday as I no longer have to get up at 5:00 am, unless I want to , until the end of August. I spent an evening on the Strip yesterday walking around and it was so nice and gorgeous...lots of people in town though! The weather we have been having is to die for! Have a great time...love Las Vegas!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I do that all the time - day dreaming of being in Las Vegas - hi Mom Mom, Las Vegas
Drunk, and all the other characters that inhabit this thread. My love to you all!
I was in Las Vegas in April with my son, and will be back in October. I can't wait to
be back in the crazy Las Vegas world. There is nowhere in the world like it, and
nowhere I'd rather spend my holiday time. Sorry about the Sahara, I said my
goodbyes in April. See you soon!!
Hey, I don't recall seeing you around but welcome...Las Vegas is a great town...really a "Tale of Two Cities". The Strip City and the rest of the city...and I love both.

Quote:
I agree. But you know what's telling me not to right now? Common sense. It's not the media.. I have read on forums (other than this) about how bad it is there right now.

Going there with limited money and not finding a job is just a recipe for disaster. I am OK with life throwing a curveball, and making things difficult for a while.. but under that situation I would put myself IN a bad situation. I much rather eventually fall into one, rather then go into one head first.

But I do understand and agree with what you are saying 100%. I'm not afraid of changing my scenary, meeting people, being away from family -- I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to get an income to keep me alive out there.
You know what? DO what you want. Life is just too short. Sure we need to be rational and the logical thing but when it comes down to it you might be hit by a bus and only have one day left to live. We are not immortal, although our logical side wants us to think so. If you don't have anything tying you down do want you long for. Make a leap of faith. If all else fails you will at least have had a chance to mark this experience off the list. If it fails go back home and start again. That's the cool thing....as long as we are living and get to breath we can always regroup and get a fresh start. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas