Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 04:16 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,002 times

Advertisements

I was in the British army in the 1970s. Never knew any baby killers, but some immigrants in
my country seem to think some soldiers are so. Soldiers in my country are told not to go out
in public off duty in uniform for fear of verbal attack from some of our newer citizens. I'm just
glad they are there ready to do what needs to be done.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:42 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,410,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suetalks View Post
Our post office, years ago used to be lined up with people waiting for it to open so they could get at the P.O. boxes for their F.S's and checks. Now it is done electronically on the cards, so at least the P.O. gets a break. We never shop Wal Mart or Aldi on the first of the month. They are packed.

I, for one, believe in a helping hand for the down and out. A hand up, if you will, to get them back on track. I do not believe in years and years of help, while many more babies are being born out of wedlock and able bodied adults sit on their duffs for me to feed them.
Help those who are willing to help themselves. PERIOD.
The welfare mentality has been handed down generation to generation. Many have the attitude that only stupid people work and pay taxes when you can get money for nothing and then have your side business in cash. Both democrats and republicans are responsible.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
as much as I hate to say this the gravy train has a stop in centennial hills too, the walmart on 95 and centennial center was packed this morning, grocery carts stuffed with food, kids running all over the store pregnant mothers, single dads too. I went to walmart just about an hour ago to buy an outfit for a job interview and waited in line for 15 minutes because the lady in front of me had a wic check and bought 300 dollars worth of items on wic

just so happens afterwards her car was parked right by mine she drove off in a black escalade what a great country we live in

on a far more optomistic note I have an interview today for a front desk position at the cosmopolitan wish me luck everybody
Good luck to you sweetie. You are a sweetie Davie. Please try to stay in control of you emotions. Nothing can be gained from letting emotion vs common sense guide your decisions in life.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Not being offensive, but being in the military and in uniform means nothing to me or most anyone else. People that are in the military, or are veterans, are no better or worse than the rest of us IMO. We all serve this country by being productive and paying taxes. With that said, I agree with the vet that she was being rude and should have had the decency to let you get in front of her. As a single man, I barely buy much on my trip to a store. In the past, I have had many people let me in front of them when they have a full cart for that reason. Thankfully, most (but not all) places I do my shopping at have self-checkouts so I no longer have that problem anymore. I go so early in the morning on the places that don't anyways.
To be honest, I am offended by your post. My father served in WWII and Vietman. My father was the sole provider for our family. My mother did not work. My Dad put his butt on the line because he was serving his country. He has passed on but he was true patriot. He joined the Army at 17 years old as a "West by God Virginian" and served his country until he died. He worked for the VA in his retirement years.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:55 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
To be honest, I am offended by your post. My father served in WWII and Vietman. My father was the sole provider for our family. My mother did not work. My Dad put his butt on the line because he was serving his country. He has passed on but he was true patriot. He joined the Army at 17 years old as a "West by God Virginian" and served his country until he died. He worked for the VA in his retirement years.
You should not be offended. You have to look at all my recent posts to understand what I am really saying. My uncle(Vietnam vet) and grandfather (world war II vet) were both great guys who I greatly respect. That also goes for the desert storm vet coworker friend I have. However, my grandfather on my father's side was also a world war II vet and was a horrible POS. Am I supposed to respect him because he was in the military? I think not. Sometimes I have trouble expressing myself as I meant no disrespect. I know that there were many courageous individuals who have died for our freedom.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:58 PM

You should respect any and everybody willing to die for our country.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:21 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,153,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Thanks for sharing. That's an interesting view into the daily life you face there. The part about the lady wanting you to do something is especially interesting. To me it speaks to the fact that people have been so conditioned to follow anyone who even remotely looks like an authority figure. You should do a social experiment where you go around in uniform and give people simple orders like taking their hands out of their pockets. I bet most of them would comply.

I dont know about that, I would not want to to abuse my "powers". lol

My wife did notice that hardly anyone in our new neighborhood spoke to us until they found out we were home owners(not renters) and me military, her property manager. I think I had checked the community mail box for almost 2 months with out anyone saying hello. I have to past about 8 houses(each side). Then the one week I walk to check the mail in uniform. The following week...

Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,153,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
The welfare mentality has been handed down generation to generation. Many have the attitude that only stupid people work and pay taxes when you can get money for nothing and then have your side business in cash. Both democrats and republicans are responsible.
Is there a cut off for food stamps? Like after 5 years or so?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I was in the British army in the 1970s. Never knew any baby killers, but some immigrants in
my country seem to think some soldiers are so. Soldiers in my country are told not to go out
in public off duty in uniform for fear of verbal attack from some of our newer citizens. I'm just
glad they are there ready to do what needs to be done.
it was the same here in the 60's and 70's.....you guys got it because you supported us in Viet Nam....we got it cause some CS draft dodgers tried to justify their lacke of responsibility.....

Old 09-02-2011, 08:24 PM

579 posts, read 1,209,876 times
Quote:
My wife did notice that hardly anyone in our new neighborhood spoke to us until they found out we were home owners(not renters) and me military, her property manager. I think I had checked the community mail box for almost 2 months with out anyone saying hello. I have to past about 8 houses(each side). Then the one week I walk to check the mail in uniform. The following week...
It's funny..... your story reminded me of one that Mercedes from the 94.1 morning show told this year, where she'd go to the mailbox each day and always see this one neighbor who would never return a smile and would leave the minute she arrived to get the mail. Finally after a month, she asks him if there is something wrong, some reason he is avoiding her and not smiling. He claims that EVERY morning when Mercedes leaves to go to work, that she flips him off. She couldn't believe it, of course denied it. The next morning as she's leaving to go to work she realizes that she closes her garage door by holding up her middle finger, LOL! So this guy thought she was flipping him off each morning.....

Von....one of the great things about my old HOA was that they had a neighborhood welcome committee and one house was in charge on each street. Whenever a new neighbor moved in they'd be greeted by the committee member from their street and a few nights worth of dinners were provided to them, to help out since most people are frazzled and still unpacking. They also did this for new moms and the very sick. We actually had a great HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas