Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 08:07 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,473,379 times

Advertisements

Good Luck!!!! Just keep being positive!!!!

Old 10-25-2010, 12:22 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,583,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I'm happy for him too.

But to answer your question, the money is coming from the government. Which is perfectly fine by me. I think that everyone in the country should be entitled to adequate health care.

However, what I find abhorrent is the hypocritical atitude of posters who rail against "big government" or the government providing social services of any kind, but then feeling perfectly fine when the government comes through for one of their friends.

Their philosophy appears to be:

government providing social services to strangers = bad

government providing social services to themselves, family or friends = good
I believe that is called the Sharron Angle attitude

As for Aqua I am pulling for him to get better real soon. I know HE WILL get a good job and get his life back on track. Honestly it very saddening to see his life is just so.....I dont know how else to say this...sad

It is really disheartening to see his BIL and sister treat him the way they have. It hasn't been helping him. My father was verbally abusive to me, from when I was a little kid until the day I left for Las Vegas this year, and when I talk to him on the phone he STILL is verball abusive to me. But I know if things got VERY bad for me and I became homeless, I have plenty of family who would take me right in without even thinking twice about it, I may or may not have a time line (Id give myself one, I have bills to pay so I MUST work and find it SOON if I lose it) While my father is verbally abusive towards me (a combo of his fiery temper and 4 decades of alcohol abuse) he has given me some tremendous financial help when I needed it, even if he tore me a new one about it, he was always willing to lend a hand when I needed it

The plus about Aqua's sister and BIL is that they DID take him off the streets. I hope they continue to give him a helping hand, but also to treat him with a bit more respect.

Last edited by DavieJ89; 10-25-2010 at 12:32 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 12:58 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,320,560 times
I think if you guys who have had to put up with the verbal abuse start to do a little checking, you'll find the person dishing out the verbal abuse grew up being talked to the same way. When I say they don't know any better, that's what I mean. I can't tell you how many people I have run across who raised their kids a certain way and then realized after they were grown, there were better ways to do it and one of the common denominators is they finally get around enough to observe how other people do things in their homes and end up shocked and ashamed when they observe not everyone bad mouths the people they love. They think telling someone off, ripping them to shreds and venting all their anger on them is the way to motivate someone and relieve their own frustrations. In many cases, this pattern begins generations ago with alcohol abuse and the dysfunction usually continues through the generations until someone breaks the generational cycle by wising up and running things in their house 180 degrees different.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:49 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I think if you guys who have had to put up with the verbal abuse start to do a little checking, you'll find the person dishing out the verbal abuse grew up being talked to the same way. When I say they don't know any better, that's what I mean. I can't tell you how many people I have run across who raised their kids a certain way and then realized after they were grown, there were better ways to do it and one of the common denominators is they finally get around enough to observe how other people do things in their homes and end up shocked and ashamed when they observe not everyone bad mouths the people they love. They think telling someone off, ripping them to shreds and venting all their anger on them is the way to motivate someone and relieve their own frustrations. In many cases, this pattern begins generations ago with alcohol abuse and the dysfunction usually continues through the generations until someone breaks the generational cycle by wising up and running things in their house 180 degrees different.
You're completely right JJameson. I probably never said this, but here goes. My grandfather on my dad's side was a raging alcoholic and was terribly abusive to my father. Grandpa was the same to me until I got older and ended it. My dad accepted it all his life and backed down to him. I on the other hand was so bullied by other kids in elementery and middle school that I lifted weights and built myself up. My grandfather tried it with me but I stood in his face and told him off at a family party when I was 19. He backed down like the bully he was. He died a few months later, and when my dad called me to tell me I told him I was glad about it. My mom later told me that my dad was actually proud of me since I did what he could never do which was stand up to him. My dad unfortunately was just as bad. Luckily, he was just verbally abusive. Still, it hurts to this day. My dad has told me the following quotes multiple times. I could never forget them....

"You are not my son" (I definitely am)

"You were a mistake, I pleaded with your mother to have an abortion"

"I wish you would kill yourself or someone murders you, I am tired of supporting you"

"I am going to hire someone to kill you"

"You are a loser and piece of garbage, you will be working a minimum wage job for the rest of your life" (He actually was right here)

"I am unlike most parents, I actually pray for the day the police knock on my door and tell me that you were killed in a fatal car accident. If it were not for your mother, I would throw a party after hearing the good news."

There are more, but I will end it at that.

Luckily, I had a mother that was the total opposite who was totally loving. Still, I struggle even know my dad died 11 years ago. I will admit PinkString was right. I have a very sweet and loving side to me that I got from my mother, but there is that mean, evil side I got from my dad that I try my best to suppress. I am still doing the best I can to get rid of "his" part of me. I do not want to be a bad person. To be quite honest, I am ashamed of myself every time I let the evil come out.

EDIT: oops, I reread my post for errors. My grandpa did die a few months later but it was because of heart disease, not because of me. I never physically did anything to him, all I did was yell and scream at him.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:53 PM

990 posts, read 1,655,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You're completely right JJameson. I probably never said this, but here goes. My grandfather on my dad's side was a raging alcoholic and was terribly abusive to my father. Grandpa was the same to me until I got older and ended it. My dad accepted it all his life and backed down to him. I on the other hand was so bullied by other kids in elementery and middle school that I lifted weights and built myself up. My grandfather tried it with me but I stood in his face and told him off at a family party when I was 19. He backed down like the bully he was. He died a few months later, and when my dad called me to tell me I told him I was glad about it. My mom later told me that my dad was actually proud of me since I did what he could never do which was stand up to him. My dad unfortunately was just as bad. Luckily, he was just verbally abusive. Still, it hurts to this day. My dad has told me the following quotes multiple times. I could never forget them....

"You are not my son" (I definitely am)

"You were a mistake, I pleaded with your mother to have an abortion"

"I wish you would kill yourself or someone murders you, I am tired of supporting you"

"I am going to hire someone to kill you"

"You are a loser and piece of garbage, you will be working a minimum wage job for the rest of your life" (He actually was right here)

"I am unlike most parents, I actually pray for the day the police knock on my door and tell me that you were killed in a fatal car accident. If it were not for your mother, I would throw a party after hearing the good news."

There are more, but I will end it at that.

Luckily, I had a mother that was the total opposite who was totally loving. Still, I struggle even know my dad died 11 years ago. I will admit PinkString was right. I have a very sweet and loving side to me that I got from my mother, but there is that mean, evil side I got from my dad that I try my best to suppress. I am still doing the best I can to get rid of "his" part of me. I do not want to be a bad person. To be quite honest, I am ashamed of myself every time I let the evil come out.

EDIT: oops, I reread my post for errors. My grandpa did die a few months later but it was because of heart disease, not because of me. I never physically did anything to him, all I did was yell and scream at him.

Stop killing the pain of this abuse and flirting with these prophecies with alcohol.

The alcohol is keeping your father and grandfather's word with you.

Get on the path to emotional wellness.

(If I didn't care about you I would ignore your post.)

Old 10-25-2010, 03:17 PM

Thanks, I just try to live day to day anymore.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:20 PM

I just found this in the Phoenix forum. The go getter post made me think of you.

//www.city-data.com/forum/16392169-post2.html

You need to be 21 to sell cars because of the insurance, but you are almost there. Read this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...b-any-job.html

Old 10-25-2010, 03:45 PM

699 posts, read 2,220,111 times
you may want to consider a health card

having a good thought for you

Old 10-25-2010, 04:04 PM

487 posts, read 747,630 times
someone has to break the cycle it might as well be me

Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,518 times
Davie, you are one persistent bugger! I have followed your story for a while and I have to say, as someone who has worked with young people for many years, you deserve a lot of credit.
I truly wish you the best in your new endeavors and will be hoping it all works out for you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas