Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 04:39 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I try and put myself in the position of a business owner, and I'm dumbfounded how any of them stay in business during this recession, even so much as a Wal-Mart store.

I flirt with the idea, when retired in a few years, of merely opening up a small cafe or used bookstore, and it defeats me even to think about, even hiring one or two people, paying the rent, trying to just break even!

If I do, I'll probably do it solo, as I'm prone to panic attacks, worrying needlessly, giving up too easily, and why expose an employee to all that madness!

I could just see it, I open a small cafe, business goes great the first two months, business falters, I panic, fire the cook & waitress after I have to dip into my social security check to pay their wages, hang a closed sign in the window!

Increasingly, I'm looking at the perspective of a business owner and it's scarey to think about!
This is a great post, many businesses have closed down during this recession but there are many more that have continued to do well.

As most of you know, I have my own business and part of the reason why I still have it today is because I run it from home. I have very little overhead as I have no staff, my delivery van is paid for and I have no warehouse to keep my products.

It helps out that I don't spend any expense on advertising as I believe in word-of-mouth. Many of you know Carl (teach1234) and through the forum took my van to him this morning as it was running rough at 210,000 miles. When I introduced myself, his eyes got big and he smiled because he knew that his reputation was keeping his doors open. I left the van this morning and now at 3:30, he called me to say it was finished. The prices were fair and now I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Carl and I talked a few minutes and he told me that at least a dozen businesses have come and gone in the 18 months he has been at his current location including a metal fabrication shop with very expensive equipment.

The key to keeping a business open depends on several factors:
1. Having a business plan.
2. Understanding business forms such as an Income Statement and Profit and Loss Statement (P&L).
3. Offer something that is niche. We started as strictly snacks but we have ventured into jewelry, wallets, health and beauty and now clothing. Our business has grown even with the loss of our 2 biggest accounts in December.
4. Knock their socks off with service. Anyone can offer a product but if you back it up with service you are ahead of the game and those clients will tell their friends just like with Carl.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:37 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

What d'ya think? Would you be caught dead in this pup? Alfa Romeo's true Giulietta is going to be sold in Seattle-area dealers. BTW-I'm up in Kellogg, ID, now. The Elko hospital job didn't work out.
Wouldn't this type of material possession be a sin?

Old 02-18-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I just picture Elko walking down the street hoping he hears someone mention Jehovah and going off in a tangent. Did you just say Jehovah? No. Yes you did!. You know NEO is a false profit right! Jehovah can shoot bullets out of his feet. Top that!
And he wouldn't have the internet or youtube at his disposal to post odd pictures after such an exchange.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
It's like poking an ant hill with a sharp stick.
No it's like inviting the anthill into your house, where the house is the chat thread!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
Not me. I'm sitting over here on the balcony LMAO.
Oh yeah, well this is not a comedy it's more like a place for misfit toys.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:45 PM

990 posts, read 1,655,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
No it's like inviting the anthill into your house, where the house is the chat thread!
It was a 9 word sentence.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:51 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,416,518 times
I have to say that I am annoyed that Jehovah's Witness church members ring my doorbell but I respect their beliefs. I would hope that they respect my right not to be "witnessed". I don't answer the door and I don't engage but I don't bash their beliefs. Would it hurt not to belittle Elko for his beliefs? My telecommunications technician (a man I have used for years) recently converted from the Catholic faith to becoming a Jevohah's Witness. When he told me he had converted to the "one true faith" I wished him well but told him his testimony was not appropriate in the business setting.

Last edited by pommysmommy; 02-18-2011 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 PM

Actually I have no problem with missionaries going door to door. They really believe that they are saving people...is it such a terrible thing to offer with love and kindness? Not to me.

The problem I have is when religion and that message is used to belittle others and shared in a way that is not kind at all.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,416,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Actually I have no problem with missionaries going door to door. They really believe that they are saving people...is it such a terrible thing to offer with love and kindness? Not to me.

The problem I have is when religion and that message is used to belittle others and shared in a way that is not kind at all.
So true Lyra but we should be wary of sinking to that level.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
So true Lyra but we should be wary of sinking to that level.
I think humor is a fine way to make things light and fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas