Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:02 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Actually...an astute and well capitalized developer can buy out a bunch of homeowners and turn the area into mixed use. Same number of units, more open space.

It's been done before but agree it's not easy. And local officials will have to know how to negotiate terms very well so that developers won't cheat on amenities like parks, playgrounds, sidewalks, drains etc. Requires a lot of work.

Alternatively they can look at areas that are dotted with abandoned/underused warehouses and factories and build there. But they should also provide for schools.

People should seriously go to google maps and look at Newcastle-upon-Tyne in the UK. It has 2,000/KM density, Nassau is 1,800/Km. I picked this one because the next lower English County has 1,500/KM. That is Halton...look that one up too, it's eye opening.

Newcastle is a pretty big city, with some dense suburbs of detached homes. But then you have farmland on the outskirts. There are just far fewer people who need to use a car for every single daily activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:06 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times
For historicall reasons, the UK generally did not have the massive sprawling out of the population post WW2 that the US did. The infrastructure was laid out in a way that made US suburbs very car dependent and once that's built, it's very hard to replace.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Default Past Tense

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ I go all over here in CD. Besides, I used to live and work on LI so that's why I have interest.
Used to.

Look ahead instead of looking back. Help the Garden State. They could use you in the trenches in places like Camden, Newark, or Trenton. Better still, Christie could use your guidance.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:59 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Having been a young person (once upon a time) who lived on Long Island in it''s Golden Age I can say that we didn't want "urban" as we loved our beaches, backyards, cars, jobs, clubs and life in general. We had choice if we wanted urban, we moved to Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn.

In my opinion Long Island should never try to appeal to those who want urban, as it's silly to do with the premier urban center a mere rocks throw to the west. If the young want that then they already have it with a quick train ride.
What Long Island should focus on is keeping (and attracting more) it's 30-50 something professionals. I do think reinvigorating the towns along the rail lines for mixed use is important, but making them too dense would just create more trouble than it's worth.

I agree with just about everything you've written. One question I pondered: Reinvigorating towns along rail lines up to what point? Countless threads about commuting bring up how far is too far of a commute. Couple that with creating walkable transit-oriented communities and one has to ask what the appeal would be in areas where the train ride into Penn is over an hour or more?

Patchogue's renaissance -- was is brought about by affordability due to the abundance of properties in need of rehabbing? Or was it access to trains? From the LIRR perspective, peak am commutes run about 1.5 - 1.75 hours (includes transfers.) Or perhaps that it was an old village which already had a walkable Main Street already in place? Could it have been a combination of the 3?

Old 02-07-2014, 10:18 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,491 times
I’m partially in agreement with the OP, but I also want my yard and privacy.
Right now we have a good balance of both worlds, I can walk to the bars, restaurants, light grocery, train station, all while I have my suburban home. Only con is that it’s pretty far out east by LI standards, and it takes an hour to get to JFK, LGA, NYC.
Like many other’s have said, what LI needs is a better public transit because the LIRR isn’t cutting it. Imagine if some of the successful transit systems in other cities only ran one line every 60 minutes on Sunday.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:13 AM

19,222 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
So you decide whose houses are going to be leveled for a mixed use walkable area.
Unless we find ourselves in the type of conflict that leveled half of London allowing the creation of these modern, mixed use, walkable areas...

Old 02-07-2014, 12:25 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Used to.

Look ahead instead of looking back. Help the Garden State. They could use you in the trenches in places like Camden, Newark, or Trenton. Better still, Christie could use your guidance.
He could make these suggestions to the residents of Marlboro and Manalapan and see what they have to say.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:05 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
One question I pondered: Reinvigorating towns along rail lines up to what point? Countless threads about commuting bring up how far is too far of a commute. Couple that with creating walkable transit-oriented communities and one has to ask what the appeal would be in areas where the train ride into Penn is over an hour or more?

Patchogue's renaissance -- was is brought about by affordability due to the abundance of properties in need of rehabbing? Or was it access to trains? From the LIRR perspective, peak am commutes run about 1.5 - 1.75 hours (includes transfers.) Or perhaps that it was an old village which already had a walkable Main Street already in place? Could it have been a combination of the 3?
If it's comeback further than when I last visited then I think a combination of the three (though I think it had too many parking lots and a group of people who were already living high density). To me, the trains would be just another plus to villages that you could work, shop, live and if need be head easily into the city or further east. Essentially the way villages like Patchogue, Babylon and Bay Shore were way back when. At least that's what would make the South Shore attractive to me. I've long believed that Long Island has had a string of pearls in those somewhat ignored south shore villages. Maybe toss in some light rail to connect them and ban cars from the main street section of each? Whatever, Long Island should develop in the way that's best for the Island and not just as a lure to keep the young living there.

Good point about commuting, that's always been a trade off for those who do it, but now with less jobs actually on the Island there's just less choice.

The center corridor of the Island is more a blank slate and developers could create "villages". But the big thing will be attracting business that fits the Island to locate in those South Shore villages and those "urban" high density areas.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:13 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
If it's comeback further than when I last visited then I think a combination of the three (though I think it had too many parking lots and a group of people who were already living high density). To me, the trains would be just another plus to villages that you could work, shop, live and if need be head easily into the city or further east. Essentially the way villages like Patchogue, Babylon and Bay Shore were way back when. At least that's what would make the South Shore attractive to me. I've long believed that Long Island has had a string of pearls in those somewhat ignored south shore villages. Maybe toss in some light rail to connect them and ban cars from the main street section of each? Whatever, Long Island should develop in the way that's best for the Island and not just as a lure to keep the young.

Good point about commuting, that's always been a trade off for those who do it, but now with less jobs actually on the Island there's just less choice.

The center corridor of the Island is more a blank slate and developers could create "villages". But the big thing will be attracting business that fits the Island to locate in those South Shore villages and those "urban" high density areas.
The commuter trains are a necessity given all that has been discussed in the past about jobs being concentrated in NYC. No development will succeed without direct in-town train service to NYC.

How far east these communities should be built will depend on how much can actually be built in the west of LI. A few communities like GC, Bellerose, Floral Park, Port Washington, GN Plaza were already developed to be more compressed and walkable. But what is the incentive of Syosset, NHP, Westbury, Carle, Wantagh, Roslyn, Jericho, Albertson etc. to transform? Probably none. To that extent developers can look further out east.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:16 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,997,280 times
More density what are you smoking long island has executed every tree we don't need no more building
and FYI were losing young people myself included because theirs nothing to do here if you want to walk to you precious resteruants move to the dam city !!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island